Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

School mates who played sport for their Country

+19
Yorkie Jill
Allan D
bodyline
Big Dog
WideWally
Fred Nerk
Brass Monkey
skully
lardbucket
Blackadder
embee
horace
Mick Sawyer
MrPrez
PlanetPakistan
taipan
Clutch
JGK
Henry
23 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

School mates who played sport for their Country - Page 2 Empty Re: School mates who played sport for their Country

Post by Fred Nerk Wed 21 Dec 2011, 23:54

Apparently my parents asked all the locals they met and everybody that gave an opinion said Silkstone was the only half-reasonable school for miles around. It was massive for a State school in a town the size of Ippy. They would have been happy for me to stay, but we moved out to Amberley and I went to school with all the other Air Force brats for the next 18 months till we moved to Melbourne.

Fred Nerk

Number of posts : 8814
Registration date : 2007-10-15
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

School mates who played sport for their Country - Page 2 Empty Re: School mates who played sport for their Country

Post by Mick Sawyer Thu 22 Dec 2011, 00:43

Fred Nerk wrote:Apparently my parents asked all the locals they met and everybody that gave an opinion said Silkstone was the only half-reasonable school for miles around. It was massive for a State school in a town the size of Ippy. They would have been happy for me to stay, but we moved out to Amberley and I went to school with all the other Air Force brats for the next 18 months till we moved to Melbourne.

It's reputation holds up pretty well still Fred.

It wouldn't have been the worst place for a kid. Plenty of space to play cricket or footy on those massive house blocks.
Mick Sawyer
Mick Sawyer

Number of posts : 7267
Registration date : 2007-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Mick Sawyer Thu 22 Dec 2011, 00:47

WideWally wrote:I played alongside Chris Close for my high school Rugby League team. He became a State Of Origin legend & played three tests for Australia.

Also, I was in the same grade as Gerard Barrett who was a 1980 Olympian & a national athletics champion in the 5,000m, 10,000m & marathon.

Bet there a race every lunchtime to get in the tuckshop queue in front of Choppy. I wonder what those behind him ate?
Mick Sawyer
Mick Sawyer

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Thu 22 Dec 2011, 01:12

leftovers
embee
embee

Number of posts : 26214
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by Allan D Thu 22 Dec 2011, 01:44

Noone directly but a contemporary at school, who later married my cousin, played in the Derbyshire Schools side with the current Chairman of the England Selectors, Geoff Miller.
Allan D
Allan D

Number of posts : 6635
Registration date : 2007-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Yorkie Jill Thu 22 Dec 2011, 01:47

no cricket senior internationals that I was at school with. Couple of rugger chaps of course. Hockey, shooting and rowing too. One of the head boys from my year is likely to be in the 'lympics next year for rowing. 8s, I think. Good for him.
Yorkie Jill
Yorkie Jill

School mates who played sport for their Country - Page 2 7EoDRAk

Number of posts : 2520

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Keating Thu 22 Dec 2011, 03:06

Notable sportsmen who were at the school when I was there

Trent Barrett
Simon Bonetti
Eric Grothe Jnr
Matt Sears
Daniel Heckenberg
Paul Keating
Paul Keating

School mates who played sport for their Country - Page 2 Svlx7uN

Number of posts : 4663
Registration date : 2007-10-25
Flag/Background : wi

Back to top Go down

Post by Mick Sawyer Thu 22 Dec 2011, 03:07

embee wrote:leftovers

I was imagining them fighting crows for the scraps whilst looking over their shoulders for Choppy scouting for more.
Mick Sawyer
Mick Sawyer

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Dog Thu 22 Dec 2011, 03:36

...i forgot about Randell Markey who was a CW games rep in middle distance in the seventies. He is now a journo & is 'famous' for getting on Bob Hawkes wrong side & copping an on air verballing.
Big Dog
Big Dog

Number of posts : 16498
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : tig

http://bigdog.bigblog.com.au/index.do

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Thu 22 Dec 2011, 03:51

OTTOMH...

David Furner (Rugby League) and I were in the same home room for the llast two or three years of high school. And still keep in touch occasionally.

Ricky Stuart (Union and League) was a couple of years ahead of me. Funnily enough he finished only one year ahead...

George Gregan was a more than handy junior cricketer, and I was lucky enough to coach the team he was in one year - senior students were encouraged to coach the junior teams - which may explain why he wound up being a better rugby player. When he was first chosen for the Wallabies, I was invited to a 'meet the team' function. And when he saw me he first called me 'Mr... '

A couple of blokes who went on to play in lesser known sports who were there at the same time as me were Phil Brassington (Baseball) Russell Wentworth (Volleyball) and Alex Johnson (Modern Pentathlon, 1996 Olympics.)

Zat

Number of posts : 28872
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Keating Thu 22 Dec 2011, 03:56

Shite I just read the title properly. Only Trent Barrett played for Australia in League.
Paul Keating
Paul Keating

School mates who played sport for their Country - Page 2 Svlx7uN

Number of posts : 4663
Registration date : 2007-10-25
Flag/Background : wi

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Thu 22 Dec 2011, 05:43

Zat wrote:OTTOMH...

David Furner (Rugby League) and I were in the same home room for the llast two or three years of high school. And still keep in touch occasionally.

Ricky Stuart (Union and League) was a couple of years ahead of me. Funnily enough he finished only one year ahead...

George Gregan was a more than handy junior cricketer, and I was lucky enough to coach the team he was in one year - senior students were encouraged to coach the junior teams - which may explain why he wound up being a better rugby player. When he was first chosen for the Wallabies, I was invited to a 'meet the team' function. And when he saw me he first called me 'Mr... '

A couple of blokes who went on to play in lesser known sports who were there at the same time as me were Phil Brassington (Baseball) Russell Wentworth (Volleyball) and Alex Johnson (Modern Pentathlon, 1996 Olympics.)

You're an Eddies boy.

Nice one.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Thu 22 Dec 2011, 05:49

Paul Keating wrote:Shite I just read the title properly. Only Trent Barrett played for Australia in League.

Daniel Christian might join him soon.

JGK

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Thu 22 Dec 2011, 05:51

Actually, looks like Chris Lawrence went there too.

JGK

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Thu 22 Dec 2011, 05:53

JGK wrote:
Paul Keating wrote:Shite I just read the title properly. Only Trent Barrett played for Australia in League.

Daniel Christian might join him soon.
Phurt.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105955
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by MrPrez Thu 22 Dec 2011, 07:00

I've bowled to Makhaya Ntini, does that count?
MrPrez
MrPrez

Number of posts : 164
Registration date : 2011-09-28
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Thu 22 Dec 2011, 07:21

Damn straight, MrPrez. Very Happy
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105955

Back to top Go down

Post by MrPrez Thu 22 Dec 2011, 07:25

I was with one of my mates once at a cricket ground when we saw KP and Collingwood walking along the boundary in our direction. We were playing tennis ball cricket and when they reached around where we were, we got my friend to hit a tennis ball in their direction. KP picked it up and threw it back and then we went and got autographs etc. Funny part was that when KP threw it, it was skew and low Very Happy
MrPrez
MrPrez

Number of posts : 164
Registration date : 2011-09-28
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Thu 22 Dec 2011, 08:58

MrPrez wrote: Funny part was that when KP threw it, it was skew and low Very Happy

Laughing I'm surprised it didn't go over the other side of the ground for four overthrows.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Thu 22 Dec 2011, 20:30

Mick Sawyer wrote:One or two young ladies who could have been on the Australian shagging team.

lucky sod ... what an education

what about high school?

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38105

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Sat 24 Dec 2011, 00:24

Colin Firth went to my college.

All right, he's not a sportsman.

And, all right, it was about a decade or so before I did.

But aside from those minor technicalities - how many of you shitmunchers have sort of but not really befriended a future Oscar winner?
LeFromage
LeFromage

Number of posts : 26195
Registration date : 2007-08-03
Flag/Background : fra

http://www.flamingbails.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Sat 24 Dec 2011, 00:26

Some appalling name-dropping on this thread.

Mick Jagger told me never to do that.

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38105

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Sat 24 Dec 2011, 00:30

He told me to get off of his cloud.

I was only standing near it. Precious, much?
LeFromage
LeFromage

Number of posts : 26195
Registration date : 2007-08-03
Flag/Background : fra

http://www.flamingbails.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Yorkie Jill Sat 24 Dec 2011, 00:33

Dello wrote:Colin Firth went to my college.

All right, he's not a sportsman.

And, all right, it was about a decade or so before I did.

But aside from those minor technicalities - how many of you shitmunchers have sort of but not really befriended a future Oscar winner?

but he's jaw droppingly attractive in a number of films and tv programmes. This thread should just have been called 'Hear ye namedroppers' and everyone just drops as many as they can. Even those with tenuous links. Like you.

Tony Blackburn went to my school. Probably about 50 years before I did. And he's not even a sportsman!!!

OMFG!!
Yorkie Jill
Yorkie Jill

Back to top Go down

Post by Yorkie Jill Sat 24 Dec 2011, 00:36

Where are the Indian forummers?

'Gandhi went to my school!!! Like, 100 years ago!!!!'

I know it wasn't that long, but still. Maybe Ben Kingsley went to someone's school?

Did Gandhi go to school...
Yorkie Jill
Yorkie Jill

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next