Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DRS, Snicko, but no Hot Spot for SL-Eng

+7
tricycle
Brass Monkey
skully
LeFromage
taipan
PeterCS
OP Tipping
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

DRS, Snicko, but no Hot Spot for SL-Eng Empty DRS, Snicko, but no Hot Spot for SL-Eng

Post by OP Tipping Tue 13 Mar 2012, 21:33

http://www.espncricinfo.com/sri-lanka-v-england-2012/content/current/story/557166.html

Shame, I think Hot Spot is dead reliable.
OP Tipping
OP Tipping

DRS, Snicko, but no Hot Spot for SL-Eng Svlx7uN

Number of posts : 4680
Registration date : 2008-01-10
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

DRS, Snicko, but no Hot Spot for SL-Eng Empty Re: DRS, Snicko, but no Hot Spot for SL-Eng

Post by PeterCS Wed 14 Mar 2012, 00:07

Or possibly just dead.

No technology is failsafe or foolproof, but Snicko isn't bad ... provided you don't have biased technos ramping up and down the volume and amplitude, depending who's batting.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

DRS, Snicko, but no Hot Spot for SL-Eng Empty Re: DRS, Snicko, but no Hot Spot for SL-Eng

Post by taipan Wed 14 Mar 2012, 03:20

Looks like the decision may have been made on cost grounds.
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Wed 14 Mar 2012, 08:20

Wait, snicko? Has that ever been "officially" used before?

Takes f*cking ages to build the "evidence". Two overs' worth of time, at least.

I'm not sure that article is right. They probably just mean the stump mic.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Number of posts : 26195
Registration date : 2007-08-03
Flag/Background : fra

http://www.flamingbails.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Wed 14 Mar 2012, 08:36

I blame cheating batsmen (who glaze their edges with vaso) for the demise of Hot Spot.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105981
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Wed 14 Mar 2012, 08:42

No, just the useless ICC, who won't stump up the wonga so that every nation can afford the technology.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Number of posts : 26195
Registration date : 2007-08-03
Flag/Background : fra

http://www.flamingbails.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Wed 14 Mar 2012, 08:43

What, and eat into the Bannies' take from the great game?? Shocked
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Wed 14 Mar 2012, 08:57

skully wrote:I blame cheating batsmen (who glaze their edges with vaso) for the demise of Hot Spot.

So why dont the umpires take a sample from every bat for lab testing? They have plenty of time as they don't have to call chuckers and seemingly don't have to worry about front foot no balss anymore.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Wed 14 Mar 2012, 09:00

Indeed, taips. If mandatory bowling crease cameras were at all Tests then the umpires could forget about that duty, with a red light doing the job. And then they could get the cotton buds out and swab the edges of the batsmen greasy edges, scrutinise the 15 degrees of bend limit on the bowlers, and generally keep a better eye on onfield behaviour.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Wed 14 Mar 2012, 09:02

My point is that the front foot seems to referred already in every decision.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Wed 14 Mar 2012, 09:20

Aye, it's on budget reasons. HotSpot has been a godsend. OK, it doesn't work in the coldest of days in England (and hence probably NZ) but it's good everywhere else and has provided an instantaneous judgement on whether a batsman has hit the ball. It's nice knowing your batsman is going to get reprieved.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Wed 14 Mar 2012, 09:25

Brass Monkey wrote:Aye, it's on budget reasons. HotSpot has been a godsend. OK, it doesn't work in the coldest of days in England (and hence probably NZ) but it's good everywhere else and has provided an instantaneous judgement on whether a batsman has hit the ball. It's nice knowing your batsman is going to get reprieved.

Hadn't heard that about cold days? Why wouldn't it work?
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Wed 14 Mar 2012, 09:39

Too much of an absence of heat for the infra-red to be able to pick up any significant changes in heat - i.e. it's all too cold.

That's why some quite frankly dim cricketers are 'not sure' about the technology.

Heard that if they had the four cameras for a full series (10 days cricket in this case) it would cost something approaching £70,000 ($100,000 if you're Yankocentric). Which, considering they can't even pay their players properly, is a lot of money to the SL board.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Wed 14 Mar 2012, 09:58

Brass Monkey wrote:Too much of an absence of heat for the infra-red to be able to pick up any significant changes in heat - i.e. it's all too cold.

That's why some quite frankly dim cricketers are 'not sure' about the technology.

Interesting. I assumed that the "hot spot" would be caused by friction. I would have thought extreme heat would be more detrimental than extreme cold.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Wed 14 Mar 2012, 10:02

I think it only picks up heat to a certain level, if bat and ball are too cold their heat signatures don't raise enough to register on the camera. That's my rudimentary understanding of it. The creator had to 'explain' himself after a Dravid dismissal last year.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by tricycle Wed 14 Mar 2012, 10:04

It's dependent on the coefficient of friction of the two surfaces. Temperature hasn't much of an impact on the coefficient of friction of a material. Higher temp means a minutely lesser coefficient of friction which would mean less heat generated by friction on contact between bat and ball, and thereby, a minutely less conspicuous mark (don't think it would be perceptible).

Can't say anyhting decisive.

tricycle

Number of posts : 13349
Registration date : 2011-12-17
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Wed 14 Mar 2012, 10:09

tricycle wrote:It's dependent on the coefficient of friction of the two surfaces. Temperature hasn't much of an impact on the coefficient of friction of a material. Higher temp means a minutely lesser coefficient of friction which would mean less heat generated by friction on contact between bat and ball, and thereby, a minutely less conspicuous mark (don't think it would be perceptible).

Can't say anyhting decisive.

That is the way I would have seen it.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Wed 14 Mar 2012, 10:44

I'm only going on what the creator was saying when interviewed.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Wed 14 Mar 2012, 10:47

Not disputing that, was only saying what I would have thought, which appears to be wrong.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by tricycle Wed 14 Mar 2012, 10:59

Brass Monkey wrote:I'm only going on what the creator was saying when interviewed.
Fair enough. Can't ask for more of an explanation from him though, as it would stump me.

tricycle

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Wed 14 Mar 2012, 11:13

No, I was saying the creator could've been bullshitting in haste because he had to answer so many questions from the Sky team....
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by tricycle Wed 14 Mar 2012, 11:28

Aye, that should be left to the scientific folk though, they could detect the gobshite in a flash.

tricycle

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Wed 14 Mar 2012, 11:36

Easy enough to test though. All you need is a cold room.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by G.Wood Wed 14 Mar 2012, 11:49

taipan wrote:
Brass Monkey wrote:Aye, it's on budget reasons. HotSpot has been a godsend. OK, it doesn't work in the coldest of days in England (and hence probably NZ) but it's good everywhere else and has provided an instantaneous judgement on whether a batsman has hit the ball. It's nice knowing your batsman is going to get reprieved.

Hadn't heard that about cold days? Why wouldn't it work?

Seems strange - there is not that much difference in heat between 5 deg C and 30 deg C. (only about 10% ) I would not have thought it be that big of a deal to hotspot
G.Wood
G.Wood

Number of posts : 12070
Registration date : 2007-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Wed 14 Mar 2012, 23:50

Brass Monkey wrote:No, I was saying the creator could've been bullshitting in haste because he had to answer so many questions from the Sky team....

...disappointing to see Danny coming out as a religio maniac
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next