Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You may ask yourself, how did I get here?

+11
PeterCS
mynah
embee
Brass Monkey
LeFromage
Big Dog
skully
G.Wood
taipan
Zat
lardbucket
15 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

You may ask yourself, how did I get here? Empty You may ask yourself, how did I get here?

Post by lardbucket Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:54 am

I think it's about 10 years, so some sort of 'anniversary', since I first wandered onto the ABC cricket forum, by chance. I know I'd found it sometime a few months before a trip from FNQ to Tassie I made in July 2002, as I recall exchanging pleasantries with taily and E_O during that trip. As I recall I made one post as 'escargot' before registering 'pieman', who stuck with me until the ABC editors started getting silly ...

Since then, over the course of several fora (ABC, C4, Fred's, Nath's, and various incarnations of this particular vehicle), I suspect I've spent almost as much time writing and reading tripe 'here' as I've done sleeping! Consolation: not alone, and not the worst ...

I blame skully, of course. Well ... him, BD, taily, RD, Zat, VoR / invader Zim, Fred, Nath, Mick, ccc, horace, painmaster, tac, Eyes, OP, Jorja, filo, Rach, Doug, Jay, and all the others who initially kept me returning to read their drivel, and add my own. If it hadn't been for them, I wouldn't have been hijacked to C4 ...

Thoughts, brickbats?

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38123
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

You may ask yourself, how did I get here? Empty Re: You may ask yourself, how did I get here?

Post by Zat Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:04 pm

My thoughts? Given your propensity for forum archaeology, you should go back to the old ABC forum and find the exact date...

Zat

Number of posts : 28872
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

You may ask yourself, how did I get here? Empty Re: You may ask yourself, how did I get here?

Post by lardbucket Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:09 pm

archeology: yes; anything more than superficial internet technology: no.

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:02 pm

Oddly enough my first forum was a Mount Everest forum.

Some time later a was looking up some cricket news on SuperSport and discovered they also had a forum. There is bumped into the likes of Hilda and Mynah amongst others. Barbara tipped me off about C4 (a move she was later to regret) and the rest is history.
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by G.Wood Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:19 pm

lardbucket wrote:I think it's about 10 years, so some sort of 'anniversary', since I first wandered onto the ABC cricket forum, by chance. I know I'd found it sometime a few months before a trip from FNQ to Tassie I made in July 2002, as I recall exchanging pleasantries with taily and E_O during that trip. As I recall I made one post as 'escargot' before registering 'pieman', who stuck with me until the ABC editors started getting silly ...

Since then, over the course of several fora (ABC, C4, Fred's, Nath's, and various incarnations of this particular vehicle), I suspect I've spent almost as much time writing and reading tripe 'here' as I've done sleeping! Consolation: not alone, and not the worst ...

I blame skully, of course. Well ... him, BD, taily, RD, Zat, VoR / invader Zim, Fred, Nath, Mick, ccc, horace, painmaster, tac, Eyes, OP, Jorja, filo, Rach, Doug, Jay, and all the others who initially kept me returning to read their drivel, and add my own. If it hadn't been for them, I wouldn't have been hijacked to C4 ...

Thoughts, brickbats?

How come the assassin escapes blame? Or are you still scared of his retribution
G.Wood
G.Wood

Number of posts : 12070
Registration date : 2007-09-07
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:51 pm

lardbucket wrote:I blame skully, of course. Well ... him, BD, taily, RD, Zat, VoR / invader Zim, Fred, Nath, Mick, ccc, horace, painmaster, tac, Eyes, OP, Jorja, filo, Rach, Doug, Jay, and all the others who initially kept me returning to read their drivel, and add my own. If it hadn't been for them, I wouldn't have been hijacked to C4 ...

Thoughts, brickbats?
Ultimate blame lies with Woody. I went to the ABC Forum on his recommendation back in 2001. The rest is hysterical.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105983

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:53 pm

G.Wood wrote:How come the assassin escapes blame? Or are you still scared of his retribution
He's good at throwing his weight around.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105983

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Dog Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:15 pm

I wandered into the ABC cricket forum by chance. Struck up a rapport with The Austrian & took it from there. Can't recall exactly when but it would have been some time in 2000 as this was when i purchased my first home 'puter..
Big Dog
Big Dog

Number of posts : 16498
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : tig

http://bigdog.bigblog.com.au/index.do

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:44 pm

C4 forum, circa 1999.

Dial up days. Per minute phoneline charges. Bad times. Especially when a single image took about ten minutes to download. That was about 50p.

Still - cheaper than a prostitute...
LeFromage
LeFromage

Number of posts : 26195
Registration date : 2007-08-04
Flag/Background : fra

http://www.flamingbails.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:15 pm

2003 - I'd started to lose contact with cricket loving mates as I'd broken my coccyx and couldn't play in the side.... I needed to talk about Freddie being all tonkalicious... I heard Mark Knickerless mention that they had a forum... so on I go... absolute wankers, the lot of them.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:18 pm

Doing some forensics, this thread has the first 'pieman' post I can find on the old ABC board so far. I am yet to have a serious look at the first 145000 posts...

http://www2b.abc.net.au/cricket/forum/newposts/150/topic150107.shtm

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:24 pm

You Aussies certainly knew how to make a jazzy website!
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:37 pm

G.Wood wrote:
lardbucket wrote:I think it's about 10 years, so some sort of 'anniversary', since I first wandered onto the ABC cricket forum, by chance. I know I'd found it sometime a few months before a trip from FNQ to Tassie I made in July 2002, as I recall exchanging pleasantries with taily and E_O during that trip. As I recall I made one post as 'escargot' before registering 'pieman', who stuck with me until the ABC editors started getting silly ...

Thoughts, brickbats?

How come the assassin escapes blame? Or are you still scared of his retribution

Mr Bucket acknowledges I don't write drivel

embee
embee

Number of posts : 26217
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:39 pm

As I recall you weren't posting much in those days, embee, but joined rather later. You certainly made your presence felt when we decamped to C4. You and your 56 ID's.

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by mynah Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:46 pm

Started on Supersport, and joined some of those mega-ghastly Cricinfo forums where all posts had to be approved by mods who turned up about twice a week... Then Hilda tipped me off to C4 in 2003. (I recall my first post was an attempt to out-troll a troll - but I plead extenuating circumstances, as I was in the process of giving up smoking.) l followed the mass migration of '07 to FB.

Was always mynah on cricket forums, except for ***The Alien***, which was a fun identity, and creepy tree, which I assumed for two weeks the time I got banned for saying "shit" on C4.
mynah
mynah

You may ask yourself, how did I get here? APSeEpm

Number of posts : 3385

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:03 pm

Brass Monkey wrote:You Aussies certainly knew how to make a jazzy website!
The link only goes to the frame that contained the thread. The format was simple, but it worked.

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:27 pm

Ah, right, yeah, there's no real need for snazziness anyhow.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:27 pm

lardbucket wrote:As I recall you weren't posting much in those days, embee, but joined rather later. You certainly made your presence felt when we decamped to C4. You and your 56 ID's.

I prefer my version

I think I joined the ABC around the time TGM had a bad piss...I used to read the Science forum and discovered the cricket forum when logging in ...
embee
embee

Number of posts : 26217
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:09 am

C4um Cricket, when I rediscovered an interest in cricket alongside a fondness for some C4 programmes (such as Derren Brown) - sometime in 2004, can't recall.

Forums were a new thing for me. C4um Cricket was the only active-looking cricket forum around at the time. Or the only one I knew of.

Like Bails. Same as it ever was.

Same as it ever was.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by Yorkie Jill Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:50 am

preserve your memories, they're all that's left you...

early 2003. Found Andrea and Rachel utterly fascinating as genuinely knowledgeable and funny female cricket badgers. Stuck around. Came over here, stuck around.

Not a bad bunch.
Yorkie Jill
Yorkie Jill

You may ask yourself, how did I get here? 7EoDRAk

Number of posts : 2520

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Nerk Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:31 pm

taipan wrote:Oddly enough my first forum was a Mount Everest forum.

And from there the only way was down.....

Fred Nerk

Number of posts : 8821
Registration date : 2007-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:33 pm

Fred Nerk wrote:

When I met you bunch it was.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mick Sawyer Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:43 pm

taipan wrote:
Fred Nerk wrote:

phurt..... beeno was your Hilary's Step.
Mick Sawyer
Mick Sawyer

Number of posts : 7267
Registration date : 2007-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:49 pm

Mick Sawyer wrote:
taipan wrote:
Fred Nerk wrote:

phurt..... beeno was your Hilary's Step.

No one else here knows either of those terms.

Beeno almost makes horrie look intelligent.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mick Sawyer Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:56 pm

taipan wrote:

Beeno almost makes horrie look intelligent.

**chuckle**

Every now and then horrie slips into lucidity.
Mick Sawyer
Mick Sawyer

Number of posts : 7267
Registration date : 2007-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum