Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Time parents put away the 'soft love'.

+3
Big Dog
skully
Red
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Time parents put away the 'soft love'. Empty Time parents put away the 'soft love'.

Post by Red Wed 30 May 2012, 08:43

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/sydney-news/praise-is-breeding-a-generation-of-bullies/story-e6freuzi-1226373065865

The most amazing thing about this is that they had to research it. Many people could have told them this some time ago!!
Red
Red

Number of posts : 17071
Registration date : 2007-10-28
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Time parents put away the 'soft love'. Empty Re: Time parents put away the 'soft love'.

Post by skully Wed 30 May 2012, 08:47

Damn straight, Red. The molly-coddled Generation are a bunch of little qunts. I can speak first hand about this.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105981
Registration date : 2007-08-31

Back to top Go down

Time parents put away the 'soft love'. Empty Re: Time parents put away the 'soft love'.

Post by Big Dog Wed 30 May 2012, 08:55

The trouble is that this country has become so politically correct that it is now run by minority pressure groups which is why we no longer have any common sense in these matters.
Big Dog
Big Dog

Number of posts : 16498
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : tig

http://bigdog.bigblog.com.au/index.do

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Wed 30 May 2012, 09:07

Which is why BG that it's so good that somebody has aired what many privately theories about. Was also pleased to hear a psychologist on the news saying how all of this breeds a culture of entitlement.

Ironically enough the government is always preaching how they are trying to build resilience among the younger generations yet just about everything about the way schools, parenting, society is structured flies in the face of this.
Red
Red

Back to top Go down

Post by simkat Wed 30 May 2012, 09:10

skully wrote:Damn straight, Red. The molly-coddled Generation are a bunch of little qunts. I can speak first hand about this.

They're a nightmare in the workforce. Evil or Very Mad
simkat
simkat

Number of posts : 885
Registration date : 2008-12-26
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Wed 30 May 2012, 09:16

simkat wrote:
skully wrote:Damn straight, Red. The molly-coddled Generation are a bunch of little qunts. I can speak first hand about this.

I've had to make a few redundant recently. They were genuinely stunned when I told them.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Wed 30 May 2012, 09:28

Big Dog wrote:The trouble is that this country has become so politically correct that it is now run by minority pressure groups which is why we no longer have any common sense in these matters.
Civil Libertarians should by liberally rogered up the dinger with a roll of barbed wire. Mad
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Wed 30 May 2012, 09:30

JGK wrote:
simkat wrote:

I've had to make a few redundant recently. They were genuinely stunned when I told them.

Of course they would be; very few of them would ever have allowed to have experienced 'failure'.
Red
Red

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Wed 30 May 2012, 09:34

On a related topic, Byron decends into late night chaos

"The Byron Shire mayor is again rejecting calls for closed circuit television as a solution to Byron Bay's problems with after-hours drunken and anti-social behaviour."

---------------------------------------

Savage brawls are erupting on the streets every Friday and Saturday nights. The cops want CCTV to better monitor behaviour and act more quickly, but the hairy armpitted smelly toking Green councillors say "Oh, this is just part of the charm of Byron". Then some Civil Libertarian qunt comes on the box and says the brawlers civil rights will be contravened. Fark 'em - give all the cops tasers and let 'em loose.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Wed 30 May 2012, 09:47

Red wrote:
JGK wrote:
simkat wrote:

Of course they would be; very few of them would ever have allowed to have experienced 'failure'.

Bingo. Although these were genuinely high achievers who probably haven't really failed at anything serious (hence the massive sense of entitlement).

As for the article - I am not convinced by the "trophy for 8th place" theory. Kids have a pretty good understanding of pecking order.

JGK

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Wed 30 May 2012, 09:51

JGK wrote: Kids have a pretty good understanding of pecking order.

Agreed. Ever tried coaching junior sport. You drop little Johnny and the parents go apeshit. Normally little Johnny isn't fazed in the slightest.
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Wed 30 May 2012, 09:56

taipan wrote:

Agreed. Ever tried coaching junior sport. You drop little Johnny and the parents go apeshit. Normally little Johnny isn't fazed in the slightest.

It's a good point. Perhaps the next study should be on parents who are delusional about their kids abilities. Are they more likely to be delusional because they themselves are high achievers not used to failing and therefore can't abide having an "average" kid? Or is it because they are low achievers who have always held on the notion that their kids will be better and therefore have to believe it for their own self-esteem.

JGK

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Wed 30 May 2012, 10:00

taipan wrote:

Agree with that but have often thought that the real 'losers' in all of this trophies for everyone, and nobody can fail mentality are those who achieve.

For example passing HSC or VCE has been devalued because in theory all you have to do is rock up and write something on the paper and you pass. To pass VCE maths subjects in the final examination you need something like 8 out of 80 and 5 out of 40 for the with and without calculator versions. Previously it was an achievement for many to simply pass when there was a benchmark, and up until the 1980s, they automatically failed one third so passing meant a lot. I notice this has a flow on effect with uni performances with one angry father complaining yesterday how students had failed exams and he was blaming the teaching or therein lack of. Eventually all this catches up with them but I feel sorry for those who work hard to achieve something but see it devalued.
Red
Red

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Wed 30 May 2012, 10:02

Pushy and deluded sporting parents always amuse me. My wife played, coached and reffed netball for years and I was constantly amazed at the delusional behaviour of parents wanting their no talent kids to get a run in a competitive team and complaining loudly if their useless princess didn't get equal game time as the team guns.

I saw the same thing at junior cricket and football of various codes. I was the opposite - quietly critical of my girls form (but they were both top quality netballers who inherited their mum's ability on court and won many trophies - all gathering dust these days).

God, I wished I had sons back in my girls' early teenage days. Cool
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Wed 30 May 2012, 10:05

Red wrote:
taipan wrote:

Agree with that but have often thought that the real 'losers' in all of this trophies for everyone, and nobody can fail mentality are those who achieve.

For example passing HSC or VCE has been devalued because in theory all you have to do is rock up and write something on the paper and you pass. To pass VCE maths subjects in the final examination you need something like 8 out of 80 and 5 out of 40 for the with and without calculator versions. Previously it was an achievement for many to simply pass when there was a benchmark, and up until the 1980s, they automatically failed one third so passing meant a lot. I notice this has a flow on effect with uni performances with one angry father complaining yesterday how students had failed exams and he was blaming the teaching or therein lack of. Eventually all this catches up with them but I feel sorry for those who work hard to achieve something but see it devalued.

I am assuming that HSC and VCE are your equivalent of our Matriculation. It has got so bad here that the uni's don't accept Matric certificates for admission purposes.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Wed 30 May 2012, 10:07

I have some sympathy for the parents who get up in early on a cold wet winters morning to stand in the rain while their kid gets a grand total of 10 minutes game time.

There has to be a balance. If the team isn't a rep or "A grade" (or otherwise competitve) then who cares about winning or losing - getting kids running around playing sport is the main aim. And the crappy kids aren't going to get better if they are standing on the sideline.

JGK

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Wed 30 May 2012, 10:08

taipan wrote:
Red wrote:
taipan wrote:

I am assuming that HSC and VCE are your equivalent of our Matriculation. It has got so bad here that the uni's don't accept Matric certificates for admission purposes.

Yes they are but interestingly enough, I know somebody who liaises with SA teachers re. matric for the purposes of parity in courses when students come here to uni. etc. and she says the SA matriculation is a lot more taxing than our VCE better known as the Victorian certificate for everyone.
Red
Red

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Wed 30 May 2012, 10:12

JGK wrote:I have some sympathy for the parents who get up in early on a cold wet winters morning to stand in the rain while their kid gets a grand total of 10 minutes game time.

There has to be a balance. If the team isn't a rep or "A grade" (or otherwise competitve) then who cares about winning or losing - getting kids running around playing sport is the main aim. And the crappy kids aren't going to get better if they are standing on the sideline.
Pre-teens, yes I agree, MrK. But when the coach and 95% of the team are very competitive lads or lasses, and are genuinely good, then deluded parents who can't recognise that their teenager is rubbish and really don't care about anything but game time, really have no place in a competitive comp.

It's about life being a competitive race, not deluding your young adult into thinking they can achieve when they simply can't. Do something else, lassie, something you can do well.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Wed 30 May 2012, 10:16

I don't think we disagree on this skull.

JGK

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Wed 30 May 2012, 10:18

Hopefully X, the Minx and the Prop are not shit at sport. Very Happy

I genuinely think parents who keep pushing their no-talent kids into teen years sports do their offspring's self-esteem no good at all.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Wed 30 May 2012, 10:22

Wow, so the whole 'everybody must be allowed to win' and 'medals for 5th place' ideology has reached aus too eh?

The sporting facist state is crumbling...
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Wed 30 May 2012, 10:22

You can rule out the first 2 (although the daughter is likely to marry a rugby player and No 1 at least likes going to the driving range).

Have some hopes for the bruiser though.

JGK

Back to top Go down

Post by simkat Wed 30 May 2012, 10:25

I love taekwondo for kids. You don't get your belts for free, so when my son made it to black belt it was all through hard work and discipline.
simkat
simkat

Number of posts : 885
Registration date : 2008-12-26

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Wed 30 May 2012, 10:27

No. 2 seems sorted (although my daughters haven't listened to this sage advice). Get some Jack Nicklaus DVDs for X, or teach him the wiles of investment banking. Cool
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Wed 30 May 2012, 10:31

Red wrote:
taipan wrote:
Red wrote:
taipan wrote:

Yes they are but interestingly enough, I know somebody who liaises with SA teachers re. matric for the purposes of parity in courses when students come here to uni. etc. and she says the SA matriculation is a lot more taxing than our VCE better known as the Victorian certificate for everyone.

Matric has been dumbed down to cater for the previously disavantaged.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next