Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Far too much time on my hands trivia

5 posters

Go down

Far too much time on my hands trivia Empty Far too much time on my hands trivia

Post by Fred Nerk Sun 23 Dec 2007, 04:32

On Wednesday Australia plays its first Test since the election. Of the Australian team, only Ponting (3 Tests and Hayden (one) have played for Australia under any Prime Minister except Howard.

The last surviving Test player from the Hawke era was Steve Waugh. Last from the Fraser years was AB.

Trivia ?: Who are the two Australians (post-war) who played Tests under seven different PM's?

Seeking information: Would that be an all-time record?

Fred Nerk

Number of posts : 8806
Registration date : 2007-10-15
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Far too much time on my hands trivia Empty Re: Far too much time on my hands trivia

Post by tac Sun 23 Dec 2007, 04:41

Simpson?
tac
tac

Number of posts : 19270
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : pon

Back to top Go down

Far too much time on my hands trivia Empty Re: Far too much time on my hands trivia

Post by Fred Nerk Sun 23 Dec 2007, 04:47

Simmo only played under five, including Fraser when he made his comeback..

Fred Nerk

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Sun 23 Dec 2007, 04:49

Do you mean 7 post-war Prime ministers?
tac
tac

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Nerk Sun 23 Dec 2007, 04:52

Yes. One of the PMs also served a term during the war, but that does not effect the answer.

Fred Nerk

Back to top Go down

Post by WideWally Sun 23 Dec 2007, 04:54

I'd guess at Chappelli & Redpath. I think Walters missed out on McEwen brief reign as temporary PM.
WideWally
WideWally

Number of posts : 9698
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Sun 23 Dec 2007, 04:55

Hasset?
tac
tac

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Nerk Sun 23 Dec 2007, 05:01

Wally's got it.

The two Ians played under Menzies, Holt, McEwen, Gorton, McMahon, Whitlam and Fraser. Doug Walters was unavailable for the two Tests in McEwen's time (first two v India 67-68)because he was doing his National Service, but returned for the last two in that series, replacing Redpath (neither the first nor the last time Redders copped that but at least this time his form warranted it).

Fred Nerk

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Sun 23 Dec 2007, 05:04

I was just working up to them . . . .
tac
tac

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Nerk Sun 23 Dec 2007, 05:05

BTW for those three weeks McEwen was a Prime Minister in exactly the same sense as Rudd is today. He swore the same oath, he had the same powers, he has his mug on the wall in Kings Hall in the old Parl House, and his own bust in the Ballarat Botanical Gardens.

Fred Nerk

Back to top Go down

Post by WideWally Sun 23 Dec 2007, 05:20

Earle Page, Frank Forde & Black Jack McEwen were all caretaker PMs & at one stage it appeared that the Federal electorates named after them would all be taken by Labor in the election. However, Fran Bailey managed to hang on to McEwen by only 12 votes after a recount.
WideWally
WideWally

Number of posts : 9698
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Sun 23 Dec 2007, 06:14

The bureau of meteorology released some figures around election time that show it has rained more during Labor governments than coalition ones. Can anyone be bothered to do a similar breakdown of our cricket team's performance.

Zat

Number of posts : 28872
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Sun 23 Dec 2007, 07:18

Zat wrote:The bureau of meteorology released some figures around election time that show it has rained more during Labor governments than coalition ones. Can anyone be bothered to do a similar breakdown of our cricket team's performance.

We lost to NZ under Hawkey and won the Frankie in 1995 under Keating.

Nuff said.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Sun 23 Dec 2007, 07:29

Fair enuff.

Zat

Number of posts : 28872
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down