Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

But what does English cricket get in return FFS?

+8
The One
PeterCS
tricycle
skully
taipan
Brass Monkey
horace
Henry
12 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

But what does English cricket get in return FFS? Empty But what does English cricket get in return FFS?

Post by Henry Thu 17 Jan 2013, 04:04

http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/content/current/story/601117.html

'Cricket Australia and Hampshire Cricket have announced a partnership which will see some of Australia's most talented young cricketers spend the next English summer at the newly-formed Ageas Bowl International Cricket Academy.

The deal confirms Hampshire's status as the host of one of the best-equipped cricket academies in the world and left Rod Bransgrove, the county's cricket chairman and long-time driving force, purring with delight at another sign of progress for the project that has long been his life's obsession.'

I sincerely hope young English cricketers can come to Australia and use their Academies whenever they want?
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

But what does English cricket get in return FFS? Empty Re: But what does English cricket get in return FFS?

Post by horace Thu 17 Jan 2013, 04:14

rofl....the saffie talent pool must be emptying and the Poms are worried about filling a test team...this gives them a chance to pick the eyes out of Oz talent...why the whingeing Mudge?
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

But what does English cricket get in return FFS? Empty Re: But what does English cricket get in return FFS?

Post by Brass Monkey Thu 17 Jan 2013, 07:24

They get money, probably. By 'they', I mean Hampshire. I don't see the problem? I'm sure Anglos have been to Strine, MRF etc.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Thu 17 Jan 2013, 07:25

Brass Monkey wrote:They get money, probably. By 'they', I mean Hampshire. I don't see the problem? I'm sure Anglos have been to Strine, MRF etc.

Botham?
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Thu 17 Jan 2013, 07:31

Botham what?
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Thu 17 Jan 2013, 07:33

Wasn't he on some sort of student/exchange scheme in Aus when he had his run in with Chappelli?
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Thu 17 Jan 2013, 07:36

That was during the 79 Ashes, no?
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Thu 17 Jan 2013, 07:37

Oh right - I thought it was later than that.

But, I was more on about collectives like youth / Lions etc... they go to different places: Western Aus, Mumbai, Cape Town etc.. that's what happens isn't it? They go somewhere different to learn about different shit? I can't see the problem with it.

I see a problem with giving overseas players a gig when their country is coming that summer to play international cricket. For example, Ed Cowan.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Thu 17 Jan 2013, 07:56

England should be helping the West Indies, not Australia.

Australia has more than enough money. Why do they need our Academies? In one way, it's a case of "oh how times have changed" considering how boastful the Aussies used to be about being way ahead of England in terms of talent identification and coaching etc, but on the other hand, I wonder why Aus needs to use England;s facilities when they have perfectly good facilities of their own?

The Windies on the other hand don't have much money at all. But they do have a lot of young talent that is crying out for refinement. World cricket would be better if the Windies were consistently strong again.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Thu 17 Jan 2013, 08:09

I might sound selfish, but what do Hampshire owe WI? I mean, it's a noble idea, but it seems that the Aussies are the ones who are paying the money. I'm sure WI could use the academy if they so wished - they'd just have to front up the squilla. They're relatively poor, but I bet the fee isn't extortionate enough to price out the WI. Surely it's about the desire of the governing body to give their youth the most well-rounded cricketing education available?
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Thu 17 Jan 2013, 10:19

Of course, if the BCCI had any sense and weren't too bitter about everything, they'd be forking out even more cash than Australia to send their youngsters to England and get used to English conditions.

As it is, they don't even let their players play County cricket FFS. A couple of months of County Cricket for a guy like Kohli would do wonders for him, I reckon.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Thu 17 Jan 2013, 10:44

Good point, Trev.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105957
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by tricycle Thu 17 Jan 2013, 10:50

True, we need to send our players to England, but looking at the way England handled good spin (not our lot), the same could be said of England.

tricycle

Number of posts : 13349
Registration date : 2011-12-17
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Thu 17 Jan 2013, 10:52

tricycle wrote:True, we need to send our players to England, but looking at the way England handled good spin (not our lot), the same could be said of England.

TBF, we do. There're numerous Lions tours to the SubC. IIRC there was one in 2011/12 and we had the academy out there when we toured yours a month back.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Thu 17 Jan 2013, 10:53

[quote="Brass Monkey"]I might sound selfish, but what do Hampshire owe WI? I mean, it's a noble idea, but it seems that the Aussies are the ones who are paying the money. I'm sure WI could use the academy if they so wished - they'd just have to front up the squilla. They're relatively poor, but I bet the fee isn't extortionate enough to price out the WI. Surely it's about the desire of the governing body to give their youth the most well-rounded cricketing education available?[/quote]

Quite a lot considering how many wickets Malcolm Marshall took for them over the years.

But yeah, I'm thinking maybe it shouldn't be about how much money can be forked out, but rather an exchange program where the Windies allow young English players to play in their domestic competitions if England allow some young Windies players to play in ours. Maybe that's too much of a romantic suggestion in this ruthless, money-orientated day and age though.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by tricycle Thu 17 Jan 2013, 10:57

Brass Monkey wrote:
tricycle wrote:True, we need to send our players to England, but looking at the way England handled good spin (not our lot), the same could be said of England.

TBF, we do. There're numerous Lions tours to the SubC. IIRC there was one in 2011/12 and we had the academy out there when we toured yours a month back.
And there is the emerging players series, but I don't think that's (or lions tours) as good as proper few months of County cricket/FC cricket.

tricycle

Number of posts : 13349
Registration date : 2011-12-17
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Thu 17 Jan 2013, 11:06

And the standout batsman in the Lions one day games on the Sub Continent in the last couple of years? Jos f*cking Buttler, that's who. Yet we f*ck around with Craig 'All or nothing' Kieswetter. Dicks.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Thu 17 Jan 2013, 11:06

Henry wrote:

Quite a lot considering how many wickets Malcolm Marshall took for them over the years.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaatttttttttttttt? So every county owes every overseas player's country something? Shhhiiiiiittttt - the N'hants are in debt to WI, Aus, Ind, Pak and SA. Jeez. Here's me thinking these are players who got paid very, very decent wages and ended up having an affinity with the club - when all the time I should've been thanking their boards.

Still, at least Hants are paying back Australia for Shane Warne, so the debt-paying has begun.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Thu 17 Jan 2013, 11:08

It's all business. We might not like it, all of it, some of it - it oils the wheels.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Thu 17 Jan 2013, 11:08

Brass Monkey wrote:
Henry wrote:

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaatttttttttttttt? So every county owes every overseas player's country something? Shhhiiiiiittttt - the N'hants are in debt to WI, Aus, Ind, Pak and SA. Jeez. Here's me thinking these are players who got paid very, very decent wages and ended up having an affinity with the club - when all the time I should've been thanking their boards.

Still, at least Hants are paying back Australia for Shane Warne, so the debt-paying has begun.

Tongue in cheek you muppet!
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Thu 17 Jan 2013, 11:10

tricycle wrote:
And there is the emerging players series, but I don't think that's (or lions tours) as good as proper few months of County cricket/FC cricket.

Oh yeah, I do think the County players are starting to try and broaden their horizons in terms of playing domestic level abroad - they have been pathetically xenophobic for most of cricketing history - most have been an embarrassment to Anglos.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Thu 17 Jan 2013, 11:11

Henry wrote:And the standout batsman in the Lions one day games on the Sub Continent in the last couple of years? Jos f*cking Buttler, that's who. Yet we f*ck around with Craig 'All or nothing' Kieswetter. Dicks.

Buttler for Bedwetter? I'd say that's amongst the least of our problems. The very least.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Thu 17 Jan 2013, 11:12

Henry wrote:

I just thought I'd wreck you, Shane Warne style.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Thu 17 Jan 2013, 11:12

Brass Monkey wrote:
tricycle wrote:

Oh yeah, I do think the County players are starting to try and broaden their horizons in terms of playing domestic level abroad - they have been pathetically xenophobic for most of cricketing history - most have been an embarrassment to Anglos.

Are you saying county cricketers didn't use to play abroad?
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Thu 17 Jan 2013, 11:14

Brass Monkey wrote:
Henry wrote:

I just thought I'd wreck you, Shane Warne style.

*throws bat*
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next