Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I found this rather pathetic from Bishop Tutu ...

+3
Merlin
HH_pink
Hilda
7 posters

Go down

I found this rather pathetic from Bishop Tutu ... Empty I found this rather pathetic from Bishop Tutu ...

Post by Hilda Thu 03 Jan 2008, 17:43

Darn Aussies in Tutu's prayers

by Christo Buchner | 03 January 2008 (08:20)

Desmond Tutu © Gallo Images
Those darn Australians. They have even got under former Archbishop Desmond Tutu's skin with the way they dominate international cricket.

The Aussies nearly made the famous clergyman send down a wide during a prayer before the start of the second Test between South Africa and the West Indies at Newlands on Wednesday.

The Nobel peace laureate was conducting the official dedication to mark the first cricket match played at Newlands 120 years ago.

The match between some South Africans and a team of colonialists began on January 2, 1888.

Tutu prayed for the ground and everyone playing on it to be blessed and protected. He asked for summer sunshine and a spirit of tolerance and respect among all those attending the test.

He prayed for peace and enjoyment and for many more years of wonderful cricket.

Then, near the end of his over, he nearly bowled a wide.

"Of course, we are also praying extra hard that the Proteas will always do well here, especially against those darn Aussies whom nobody can beat at the moment," he said.

As part of the festivities, former cricket chief Ray Mali, now chair of the International Cricket Council, will address the crowd at Newlands on Saturday.

Other events to mark the first 120 years of cricket at Newlands will be a concert by Sir Elton John on January 13 and a festival cricket match between the Cape Cobras and the Stormers rugby team on February 3.

A banquet, hosted by Cape Town mayor Helen Zille, and Western Cape Premier Ebrahim Rasool's party on the Newlands wicket in May have also been scheduled.

South Africa won only three of the first 24 test matches during the first century of international cricket at Newlands. However, since unification in 1992, the Proteas have won 11 of their 18 tests and 21 of their 23 one-day internationals at the famous ground.
Hilda
Hilda

Number of posts : 202
Registration date : 2007-10-26
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

I found this rather pathetic from Bishop Tutu ... Empty Re: I found this rather pathetic from Bishop Tutu ...

Post by HH_pink Thu 03 Jan 2008, 17:47

Pathetic, why? I say it's brilliant!
HH_pink
HH_pink

I found this rather pathetic from Bishop Tutu ... APSeEpm

Number of posts : 3353
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

I found this rather pathetic from Bishop Tutu ... Empty Re: I found this rather pathetic from Bishop Tutu ...

Post by Merlin Thu 03 Jan 2008, 18:36

Hilda wrote:Other events to mark the first 120 years of cricket at Newlands will be a concert by Sir Elton John on January 13 and a festival cricket match between the Cape Cobras and the Stormers rugby team on February 3.

Blimey .. is that "has-been" the best you guys can come up with for a concert?
He doesn't even like cricket ... Watford FC being his "passion" (other than David English that is) ..
whenever he's happened to be coherent or wasn't throwing a hissy-fit ... which is seldom these days!

Rope in Mick Jagger .. now he's a true cricket fanatic.

Last edited by on Thu 03 Jan 2008, 18:37; edited 2 times in total

Merlin

Number of posts : 14718
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : afg

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 03 Jan 2008, 18:36

Australia have Satan on their side, so it seems only fair to invoke Jehovah's aid against them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Allan D Thu 03 Jan 2008, 22:29

Merlin wrote:
Hilda wrote:Other events to mark the first 120 years of cricket at Newlands will be a concert by Sir Elton John on January 13 and a festival cricket match between the Cape Cobras and the Stormers rugby team on February 3.

He doesn't even like cricket ... Watford FC being his "passion" (other than David English that is)...

I think you mean Furnish. boozin
Allan D
Allan D

Number of posts : 6635
Registration date : 2007-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Thu 03 Jan 2008, 23:05

Allan D wrote:
Merlin wrote:

He doesn't even like cricket ... Watford FC being his "passion" (other than David English that is)...

I think you mean Furnish. boozin
Whoops ... of course it is AD .. thanks ...
that'll be another hissy fit from Dwight then .... !!

Merlin

Number of posts : 14718
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : afg

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Fri 04 Jan 2008, 06:24

Hilda wrote:Other events to mark the first 120 years of cricket at Newlands will be a concert by Sir Elton John to raise money to purchase a lawnmower.

Fixed.
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Fri 04 Jan 2008, 06:25

taipan wrote:
Hilda wrote:Other events to mark the first 120 years of cricket at Newlands will be a concert by Sir Elton John to raise money to purchase a lawnmower.

Fixed.

Whose grass is he going to cut?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
116 - 9 - 400 - 4

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38116
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Fri 04 Jan 2008, 06:27

Haven't you seen the outfield in this test? It is a total frigging disgrace.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Hilda Fri 04 Jan 2008, 17:19

The outfield looks as though the local squatters had their cattle graze there a couple of days before the time.
Hilda
Hilda

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Fri 04 Jan 2008, 19:54

Nah, there would be no grass then.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by mynah Fri 04 Jan 2008, 20:07

"Of course, we are also praying extra hard that the Proteas will always do well here, especially against those darn Aussies whom nobody can beat at the moment," he said.

What's wrong with it? Only way it could happen would be with divine intervention... Rolling Eyes
mynah
mynah

I found this rather pathetic from Bishop Tutu ... APSeEpm

Number of posts : 3385
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Hilda Sat 05 Jan 2008, 17:38

Mynah - saying it in a prayer is offensive to me.
Hilda
Hilda

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down