Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

F.S. Jackdon reckons E Jones was the FASTEST bowler ever

4 posters

Go down

F.S. Jackdon reckons E Jones was the FASTEST bowler ever Empty F.S. Jackdon reckons E Jones was the FASTEST bowler ever

Post by Gary 111 Mon 29 Jul 2013, 22:49

F.S. Jackson wrote:“Of all the fast bowlers the Australians have sent to this country, I think Jones was the best in my time. I have very good reasons for remembering him, as I took part in the first match he played in this country against Lord Sheffield’s XI at Sheffield Park, Sussex, in 1896. He was one of the most powerful men I ever met. I believe he was a miner, and in his early days of the tour was very wild in his delivery. This was probably because the Australians came practically straight off the ship to the match and were short of practice. Jones gave me the impression that his main effort was to show his immense pace. The wicket was dry and he bowled short, bumpy stuff.

“One ball from Jones hit W.G. under the arm, and later in the innings another one went head-high past him and over Kelly’s head to the boundary. This was the ball about which the Beard Story originated. I can see W.G. now. He threw his head back, which caused his beard to stick out. Down the pitch went W.G., stroking his beard, to Harry Trott and said: ‘Here, what is all this?’ And Trott said: ‘Steady, Jonah.’ To which Jones made that famous remark: ‘Sorry, Doctor, she slipped.’

I do not think the ball actually touched W.G.’s beard. That story was told afterwards, and I believe I was responsible. When I was out and returned to the Pavilion, I said: ‘Did you see that one go through W.G.’s beard?’ The ball was bouncing, and only Ranji appeared to like it. The pace that Jones was bowling impressed me because in the second innings, when I had made about 10, I had the misfortune to stop one with my ribs, but with the assistance of W.A.J. West, the umpire, who rubbed me, I was able to continue my innings.”

He bowled very FAST on a flat pitch in order to FORCE the umpire to administer such a RUBBING.
Gary 111
Gary 111

Number of posts : 5717
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : eng

http://www.flamingbails.com

Back to top Go down

F.S. Jackdon reckons E Jones was the FASTEST bowler ever Empty Re: F.S. Jackdon reckons E Jones was the FASTEST bowler ever

Post by PeterCS Mon 29 Jul 2013, 22:53

It looks like he was quite PENETRATIVE, too.

It is a win-win.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

F.S. Jackdon reckons E Jones was the FASTEST bowler ever Empty Re: F.S. Jackdon reckons E Jones was the FASTEST bowler ever

Post by PeterCS Mon 29 Jul 2013, 22:58

I was wondering who FS Jackdon was, perhaps one of PP's less public fantasies, but you cleared that up.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Mon 29 Jul 2013, 23:03

I thought it was a superhero, real name Don, who turned into a jackdaw. I feel forking silly.

Apparently Benaud thought that Ted McDonald was faster than ERNIE Jones.

Can't remember what he'd know, but Ted was like todally not BOGUS
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary 111 Mon 29 Jul 2013, 23:08

Brass Monkey wrote:I thought it was a superhero, real name Don, who turned into a jackdaw. I feel forking silly.

Apparently Benaud thought that Ted McDonald was faster than ERNIE Jones.

Can't remember what he'd know, but Ted was like todally not BOGUS

Benaud is 80+ so he has seen a lot of FAST bowlers. My favourite commentator is Nick Knight.
Gary 111
Gary 111

Number of posts : 5717
Flag/Background : eng

http://www.flamingbails.com

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Mon 29 Jul 2013, 23:12

Rameez?
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Tue 30 Jul 2013, 04:46

PeterCS wrote:Rameez?

The Black Knight?
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down