Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England Lions squad for 3 one-dayers vs Bang A

+4
Henry
Basil
beamer
LeFromage
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

England Lions squad for 3 one-dayers vs Bang A Empty England Lions squad for 3 one-dayers vs Bang A

Post by LeFromage Thu 08 Aug 2013, 17:39

England Lions squad: Luke Wright (capt), Gary Ballance, Danny Briggs, Jos Buttler, Michael Carberry, Chris Jordan, Jamie Overton, Boyd Rankin, Ben Stokes, James Taylor, James Vince, David Willey

Young whipper snapper Carbs getting another gig.

I guess this means Jordan's preparing to go all in with England...?

The Willey has been unsheathed. Good pick.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Number of posts : 26195
Registration date : 2007-08-03
Flag/Background : fra

http://www.flamingbails.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

England Lions squad for 3 one-dayers vs Bang A Empty Re: England Lions squad for 3 one-dayers vs Bang A

Post by beamer Thu 08 Aug 2013, 18:16

Puke Shite captaining an England side? Never expected to see that... still, Tredwell's done so for a senior side, even if it was just to toss a coin and watch his batsmen face two balls, so "cheaping the England captaincy" is nothing new!

This side doesn't look as TAYPOC as most of them do. Some players worth a look there. Watch them get whitewashed by the Manics reserve team now I've said that...

beamer

Number of posts : 15399
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

England Lions squad for 3 one-dayers vs Bang A Empty Re: England Lions squad for 3 one-dayers vs Bang A

Post by Basil Thu 08 Aug 2013, 18:21

Danny Briggs eh? - well that's the non-spinning spinner spot taken then.
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Thu 08 Aug 2013, 19:25

Basil wrote:Danny Briggs eh? - well that's the non-spinning spinner spot taken then.
This is Gilo's squad, apparently, so a non-spinning SLA is right up his alley.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Number of posts : 26195
Registration date : 2007-08-03
Flag/Background : fra

http://www.flamingbails.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Thu 08 Aug 2013, 23:59

I'm not sure Jordan and Jamie Overton are one day bowlers. Still, good to seer they're on some sort of radar.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891
Registration date : 2007-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Fri 09 Aug 2013, 00:04

I saw Jordan playing at Hove during my recent tour ... batted well and looked impressive with the ball.

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38105
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Fri 09 Aug 2013, 00:07

Potentially he's very good. Has taken a move away from the pampered, party life at Surrey to finally start producing the goods.

To be honest, I think the Windies are a bit foolish to not push harder to have him play for them. Perhaps he thinks there will be more money for him in England.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Fri 09 Aug 2013, 00:16

I think this series might be a bowl-out for the last seamer's spot on the tour to Oz
Basil
Basil

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Fri 09 Aug 2013, 00:17

Well, he's been living there in England for a fair while now, so it makes sense for him to play for England rather than the Windies ... IF he thinks he can get a gig for England. His chances of playing for the Windies may be greater, but their selection processes have been far from transparent in the recent past, and if he chooses to play for them, even his 'home' series will end up being 'away' series.

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Fri 09 Aug 2013, 00:22

Jordan has been on the radar for a while. He seemed to go awol while he was at Surrey - but then, a few decent young players there don't seem to have kicked on. Moving to Sussex seems to have reinvigorated him and I would put him just ahead of the others in terms of chances to make to Oz this winter.
Basil
Basil

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Fri 09 Aug 2013, 00:24

... ahead of Stokes?

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Fri 09 Aug 2013, 00:30

lardbucket wrote:... ahead of Stokes?
Close call, but I think so. It wasn't that long ago that Stokes' batting was deemed to be his stronger suit - so maybe he needs to decide (or have it decided for him) what his role actually is. Whereas Jordan has always been a bowler who can bat.

On top of that, Stokes is more of a hit-the-deck-hard merchant - we've got that position covered with Finn, Tremlett and to a lesser extent - Broad. Jordan on the other hand is a swing bowler and the competition for that place is less keen - apart from Jimmy of course.
Basil
Basil

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Fri 09 Aug 2013, 00:54

Not seen Jordan recently but saw clips of him v Australia and it seemed to consist of him bowling short wide pap being smashed for 4 by Phil Hughes
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Fri 09 Aug 2013, 01:03

I'm assuming that a seamer's spot is available - you have to assume that all the quicks (apart from Shazhad) will go for that theory to work. I don't see the selectors looking beyond the seamers picked for the A team, unless they gamble on Mills.
Basil
Basil

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Fri 09 Aug 2013, 01:06

Stokes must at least have the 'seamer with an over-protective mother' spot sewn up.

JKL: he probably did bowl some PAP at Hughes, but overall he looked impressive.

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Fri 09 Aug 2013, 01:12

They could pick both Stokes AND Jordan. Having Stokes in the squad would at least give the option of a 5 man attack.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Fri 09 Aug 2013, 01:22

Blimey, have you learned nothing over the last 15 years? Stokes' batting has regressed - he's a bull's roar away from being a potential test number seven let alone a number six in the batting order. His choice is clear - either be a number six batsman who can bowl or be third seamer who can bat a bit.

It's a particularly English obsession to bang on about allrounders. All of the great sides over the past 30 years had, essentially the same make-up - six batsmen, a keeper and four bowlers - and don't mention Imran Khan, he was a bowler who batted at eight - sometimes at seven.

And while I'm at it - yes I have changed my mind about allrounders - i.e. players who bat at six and come on first change or open the bowling. Such players come along once a lifetime and it's a fools' errand to build your team around the possibility of finding one.
Basil
Basil

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Fri 09 Aug 2013, 01:35

Stokes is just having a bad season in first class cricket with the bat. In List A and T20 he's been fine. He hasn't just suddenly lost his ability to bat. I seem to remember Flintoff struggling with the bat in 2001-2002, as his bowling became more prominent. He turned out alright....

Prior at six, Stokes at seven, Broad at eight, Swann at nine....Having Stokes in there hardly lengthens the tail, and I'd back him to at least do as well as Bairstow, who averages 31.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Fri 09 Aug 2013, 12:59

Basil wrote:Blimey, have you learned nothing over the last 15 years? Stokes' batting has regressed - he's a bull's roar away from being a potential test number seven let alone a number six in the batting order. His choice is clear - either be a number six batsman who can bowl or be third seamer who can bat a bit.

It's a particularly English obsession to bang on about allrounders. All of the great sides over the past 30 years had, essentially the same make-up - six batsmen, a keeper and four bowlers - and don't mention Imran Khan, he was a bowler who batted at eight - sometimes at seven.

And while I'm at it - yes I have changed my mind about allrounders - i.e. players who bat at six and come on first change or open the bowling. Such players come along once a lifetime and it's a fools' errand to build your team around the possibility of finding one.
A game-changing all-rounder does give you something extra though, particularly if you don't have too many superstars. Freddie was a prime example - career stats were mediocre largely due to fitness issues of different types at the start and end of his career, but he could turn a game in a session with bat or ball.

In some ways though the need for all-rounders has reduced with the prevalence of bowlers who can average high 20s or better with the bat, and the keeper having to be a genuine batsman in his own right. The tail does play an important part these days, and there are fewer genuine rabbits.

beamer

Number of posts : 15399

Back to top Go down

Post by WideWally Fri 09 Aug 2013, 13:09

Speaking of Bangladesh cricket.

Currently in the Bangladee Under 19 team - Sadman Islam
Great name. He might possibly become my favourite cricketer.

46 in today's game & 86 in the the previous one.
WideWally
WideWally

Number of posts : 9701
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by WideWally Fri 09 Aug 2013, 13:19

I'd like to see a partnership between Sadman Islam & Pistoff Panesar.
WideWally
WideWally

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Fri 09 Aug 2013, 13:25

Maybe Habibul Bashar could mentor Sadman Islam.

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by WideWally Fri 09 Aug 2013, 13:30

As long as it didn't make him too depressed.
WideWally
WideWally

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Fri 09 Aug 2013, 13:35

Dello wrote:
The Willey has been unsheathed.
Zing.

Dello wrote:

Good pick.

No notes, please.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Fri 09 Aug 2013, 17:55

beamer wrote:
Basil wrote:Blimey, have you learned nothing over the last 15 years? Stokes' batting has regressed - he's a bull's roar away from being a potential test number seven let alone a number six in the batting order. His choice is clear - either be a number six batsman who can bowl or be third seamer who can bat a bit.

A game-changing all-rounder does give you something extra though, particularly if you don't have too many superstars. Freddie was a prime example - career stats were mediocre largely due to fitness issues of different types at the start and end of his career, but he could turn a game in a session with bat or ball.

In some ways though the need for all-rounders has reduced with the prevalence of bowlers who can average high 20s or better with the bat, and the keeper having to be a genuine batsman in his own right. The tail does play an important part these days, and there are fewer genuine rabbits.
A lottery win would be a game changer as well - for me at any rate. And that's just as likely as England finding a match-winning allrounder to bat at six and bowl at 90mph. We have to get real and deal with the player resources at our disposal.
Basil
Basil

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next