Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England v Australia, 4th Test, Chester-Le-Street, 9-13 August, 2013 (II)

+31
Basil
Chivalry Augustus
Allan D
WideWally
doctorspin
MoH
eowyn
Paul Keating
LeFromage
pinger
Clutch
embee
furriner
Red
taipan
Blackadder
Brass Monkey
Henry
Neil D
horace
tricycle
Big Dog
baggygreen
Gary 111
OP Tipping
PeterCS
lardbucket
Nath
beamer
JGK
skully
35 posters

Page 19 of 19 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 17, 18, 19

Go down

England v Australia, 4th Test, Chester-Le-Street, 9-13 August, 2013 (II) - Page 19 Empty Re: England v Australia, 4th Test, Chester-Le-Street, 9-13 August, 2013 (II)

Post by taipan Tue 13 Aug 2013, 04:33

PeterCS wrote:
taipan wrote:
PeterCS wrote:
taipan wrote:
PeterCS wrote:With England, it often seems a case of "e pluribus unum (or duum)".

If they pull off a win, it's often because of one or two rising from the pack and raising the effort of the team. You can never be entirely sure who it will be - though of late least likely to be Trott or Bairstow, perhaps! Though even they have contributed something, in the field for example. Urgency, a catch ...

The odd thing being that in a couple of the recent Ashes series England have won (still sounds odd saying that ~ ~ ~ ), Australia have had the better averages but lost the series.

Of course some luck, and not least the support of the crowd (home or away) have played a part in that sort of "England win by surge" as well.

But it can't be too much a question of luck. Luck is proverbially fickle, after all. But maybe luck does favour the surge, if not the brave.
At the risk of yet again being accused of picking on a point, I am at a loss as to how you rate Trott and Bairstow on the same level. Troot looked particularly fluent in this test and Bairstow looked clunky in both innings.
Point taken, but I wasn't actually equating their batting.

I "reported" from OT even that Trott looked very good, despite not getting runs. He has improved further in this match, at the risk of overrushing things perhaps, though still no big score on the board.

What I was comparing was that, though in their primary function they have both underachieved - I'm all too ready to believe Trott will turn the corner soon, he's a fine batsman in a poor patch, who will work on his weaknesses, whereas with Bairstow it's not at all clear he will make it (though I still don't think he's terminally hopeless!) - both have lifted the team in the field by excellent run-saving, speedy accurate arms, catches, and ... that cliche', but anyway - their energy and efforts for the team's cause.
Bit confused by that. At OT all the Sky "experts" were pointing out Trott's technical problem of his head falling over on the offside with the result his bat not coming through straight. They all agreed that he had sorted that out by Durham. It might surprise you that Trott has the best S/R of the English batsmen in this series.
I think Trott was actually pretty well on the way to getting the head and bat presentation sorted out by the "second set of two tests" (i.e. OT). He was for example strangled down the leg when he was looking pretty good to go on, which was a separate issue.

And on the second point, it doesn't surprise me a bit that Trotty has been galloping. He has certainly created that impression, that air of urgency. Been bloody racing away like a greyhound, in fact! Very Happy  ~ ~ But my point was underachievement. Scores on the board. Strike Rate doesn't count for that much as a Test Number 3, if you are not putting up the scores. His scores have improved, but I don't think anyone but the Aussies would be glad of his scores this whole series.

Having just mentioned his head, I think that has been his core problem in this series, of which the crooked stance has been a (hazardous) symptom. He clearly felt aggrieved at a couple of decisions in the first two Tests. And not being one of life's great extraverts, he at first appeared to turn doubt and preoccupation inwards, if you see what I mean. A brooding Trott is not a productive run machine.

The technical correction is one (important) thing. Even more important is that his mind is clear, unscrambled. I think he's getting there. And certainly hope so.
Most people, commentators included, thought qthe worst of his problems were at OT. Many remarked that he looked pretty good at Lords. But whatever.
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

England v Australia, 4th Test, Chester-Le-Street, 9-13 August, 2013 (II) - Page 19 Empty Re: England v Australia, 4th Test, Chester-Le-Street, 9-13 August, 2013 (II)

Post by taipan Tue 13 Aug 2013, 04:50

Hass wrote:Well, well, well.

At the start of this series I said I thought we would probably play better than England over the summer but that two or three epic batting collapses would end up costing us victory.

And so it has come to pass.

In Australia's defence Broad's bowling was amazing. Someone must have slipped a proton pill into his drink at tea because he looked like a changed man.

But the real turning point was Warner's dismissal. If Warner stayed out there he could have knocked off the runs in pretty quick-smart time. It was a great delivery from Bresnan.

But how could we get through the day without an important cameo from DRS? The Umpire's Call rule on LBWs is a steaming pile of donkey droppings. For Haddin to be given out while Bresnan was given not out makes the system a total sham. These things tend to go against you when you're the inferior team, but it really could have made all the difference today.

Congratulations England. The score might read 3-0, but I'm actually more confident than not of winning the urn back in the return series on more familiar pitches.
Actually I am okay with umpires call. One of the original objections to the use of DRS was that it removed the human factor.i.e. the possibility of human error. However I would have no objection to it being removed. So do we go for the whole ball hitting the stumps or merely clipping the stumps.

In addition both the calls you refer to were marginal, by no stretch of the imagination, howlers.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Tue 13 Aug 2013, 05:36

embee wrote:
JGK wrote:To be fair to DRS - both decisions were umpires call.

As I said earlier in the thread, Dar farked us royally today.
As an umpire I am totally amazed how Dar could give Bresnan "not out" ...from an umpiring perspective it was probably a worse decision than missing the Broad hit to slip

Live I honestly thought "looks a tad high." Then again, I thought the same for Haddin's dismissal.

The hapless Twatto looked plumb.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Tue 13 Aug 2013, 06:00

lardbucket wrote:the bitter shattering disappointment wouldn't be so intense without the teasing prospect of redemption that always comes first
all the way through the opening stand Lardy offered many sage observations along the lines of the above....meanwhile the pomgolians were wringing their hands and sobbing like a bunch of Mudges,,,Lardy of course knew the inevitable was to occur...that the middle order offered the resistance of a shredded birthday card against a pie chucker like Malfoy was no surprise...put any other military medium bowler on and the result would have been the same...

congrats to England on another easy win
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Tue 13 Aug 2013, 06:07

horace wrote:
lardbucket wrote:the bitter shattering disappointment wouldn't be so intense without the teasing prospect of redemption that always comes first
all the way through the opening stand Lardy offered many sage observations along the lines of the above....meanwhile the pomgolians were wringing their hands and sobbing like a bunch of Mudges,,,Lardy of course knew the inevitable was to occur...that the middle order offered the resistance of a shredded birthday card against a pie chucker like Malfoy was no surprise...put any other military medium bowler on and the result would have been the same...

congrats to England on another easy win
And yet if Australia had won, there would have been an abundance of anti-English shit from you plastered all over this forum when I woke up this morning.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Tue 13 Aug 2013, 06:18

hehehe...I would have been on the heart lung machine
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573

Back to top Go down

Post by G.Wood Tue 13 Aug 2013, 07:24

Has anyone suggested that Tony Hill be renamed Benny?
G.Wood
G.Wood

Number of posts : 12070
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Tue 13 Aug 2013, 07:30

beamer wrote:
skully wrote:Have now read the commentary. Interesting that Dar gave Brezzy not out in single figures to one that hit the top of leg but then gave both Watson and Haddit to ones barely clipping leg. Oh well, when you are not good enough, these things always happen. I see Sturat got Clarke with another pitches-middle-hit-off snorter.
Well, it was Benny Hill who gave the second Australian one, but fair enough... none of them were absolute howlers but Bresnan's probably looked the "outest" of the three at full speed and when things aren't going for you I guess "umpire's call" tends to go the other way.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by G.Wood Tue 13 Aug 2013, 07:33

I see
G.Wood
G.Wood

Number of posts : 12070
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackadder Tue 13 Aug 2013, 08:12

Well done to England on the win.
Once again the Australia batting lineup is shown to be as fragile as a Tissue, at the least Rhino seems injury free for now, and a decent effort by Lyon.

Blackadder

England v Australia, 4th Test, Chester-Le-Street, 9-13 August, 2013 (II) - Page 19 ZY4L4DZ

Number of posts : 3959
Registration date : 2008-12-27
Flag/Background : nsw

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Tue 13 Aug 2013, 09:22

Just woke up.

Turns out that it wasn't a bad dream after all.

Off the Edinburgh today. Might throw myself off the walls of the castle.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Dog Tue 13 Aug 2013, 09:36

JGK wrote:Just woke up.

Turns out that it wasn't a bad dream after all.

Off the Edinburgh today.  Might throw myself off the walls of the castle.
I recommend a pub crawl along Rose Street.
Big Dog
Big Dog

Number of posts : 16498
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : tig

http://bigdog.bigblog.com.au/index.do

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Tue 13 Aug 2013, 09:57

Blackadder wrote:Well done to England on the win.
Once again the Australia batting lineup is shown to be as fragile as a Tissue, at the least Rhino seems injury free for now, and a decent effort by Lyon.
In the upshot, this team is performing exactly like most of us Aussies expected i.e. the bowlers would hold their own and the batsmen would let us down. And so it has come to pass.

While gutted, I am not prepared to throw myself under a bus just yet. We are at the bottom of the inevitable cricket cycle. The mid-80s are back and we have to work hard to make our way back to the top of that cycle. Let's not forget, it took us 10 years from back-to-back series losses to NZ in the mid-80s to the point that we took Frank and become world no. 1.

It'll take another 10 years again.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105955
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Tue 13 Aug 2013, 10:50

JGK wrote:To be fair to DRS - both decisions were umpires call.

As I said earlier in the thread, Dar farked us royally today.
He's a serial Aus rapist in that regard. If we played Test cricket in Malaysia he'd be sent to prison.

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38105
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Batman Tue 13 Aug 2013, 10:57

I had made a point sometime around when Warney and co retired on an Ashes high that once Aus fall they will find it hard the most to deal with pressure matches because the Waugh/Punter sides with Warney and McGrath were never challenged outside India. They didn't have much draws, or close fought tests ending as draws. The side was never tested enough and they would be exposed once a new side started losing matches because they would not know how to play for a draw. That they only had one trick of playing and that was all out aggression and didn't have a clue of holding out if that ploy failed. Some of the older guard like S.Waugh, Martyn, Lehmann etc had that stability to hold on in the past. Indian under Laxman/Dravid had mastered this area at least then. Aus is losing all pressure sessions where a little application could have seen them through or even a little courage. When a side fails to overcome tight corners, the demoralization is even worse. It shakes your belief in your ability to overcome such odds.
Batman
Batman

Number of posts : 8881
Registration date : 2007-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Tue 13 Aug 2013, 11:01

JGK wrote:Hughes gets in by default as there are no other batsman in the squad (Cowan is shite too).
Why choose one non batsman over another?

Burns/Doolan/Katich/Copeland/McGoffin/Agar/Faulkner/Wade or an 80 year old handcuffed Rolf Harris in a gimp suit could do a better job than Cowan, Khawaja, or Hughes.

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38105

Back to top Go down

Post by WideWally Tue 13 Aug 2013, 13:27

skully wrote:
Blackadder wrote:Well done to England on the win.
In the upshot, this team is performing exactly like most of us Aussies expected i.e. the bowlers would hold their own and the batsmen would let us down. And so it has come to pass.

While gutted, I am not prepared to throw myself under a bus just yet. We are at the bottom of the inevitable cricket cycle. The mid-80s are back and we have to work hard to make our way back to the top of that cycle. Let's not forget, it took us 10 years from back-to-back series losses to NZ in the mid-80s to the point that we took Frank and become world no. 1.

It'll take another 10 years again.
Back in the mid 80s, there were young batsmen (Boon, Jones, etc) who always looked likely to develop into very good test batsmen. Is there anyone similar now?
WideWally
WideWally

Number of posts : 9701
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Tue 13 Aug 2013, 13:29

Who's this fellow Silk?

Does Doolan count?

Or that promising young contender, "Bee" Gbash.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Tue 13 Aug 2013, 14:38

Another problem Aus has at the moment is being compared to the great teams of the past. Ex players, the media, and most fans find it hard to accept that the problems can't be solved with a few team changes here and there, when in truth the problems are much more deep-rooted.

Honestly, the problems in Australian cricket can be traced back to the early 2000s (ironically when the team itself was at its peak), when England, South Africa, and India were making serious changes to improve their cricketing systems, whilst Australia was smirking at them and thinking they would remain ahead of the rest forever.

Basically, Australia stood still whilst the others moved forward. Now it's Australia who have to catch up to the others.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by doremi Tue 13 Aug 2013, 14:46

Henry wrote:Another problem Aus has at the moment is being compared to the great teams of the past. Ex players, the media, and most fans find it hard to accept that the problems can't be solved with a few team changes here and there, when in truth the problems are much more deep-rooted.

Honestly, the problems in Australian cricket can be traced back to the early 2000s (ironically when the team itself was at its peak), when England, South Africa, and India were making serious changes to improve their cricketing systems, whilst Australia was smirking at them and thinking they would remain ahead of the rest forever.

Basically, Australia stood still whilst the others moved forward. Now it's Australia who have to catch up to the others.
I'm about sure you typed that with one hand....Smile 
doremi
doremi

Number of posts : 9743
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by furriner Tue 13 Aug 2013, 14:49

^^ Don't piss him off, he's already threatened to big up Kohli....
furriner
furriner

Number of posts : 12507
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Tue 13 Aug 2013, 15:07

rambo 
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 19 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 17, 18, 19