Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ponting's assessment of where Australia's cricket is at

+5
embee
Henry
skully
PeterCS
lardbucket
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Ponting's assessment of where Australia's cricket is at Empty Ponting's assessment of where Australia's cricket is at

Post by lardbucket Sat 17 Aug 2013, 22:06

LINK

is remarkably sanguine.

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38123
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Ponting's assessment of where Australia's cricket is at Empty Re: Ponting's assessment of where Australia's cricket is at

Post by PeterCS Sun 18 Aug 2013, 03:29

I don't think it would be Punter's style to say, tartly, "Quite a lot of crap still in there, frankly."

Wouldn't help the type of career he seems to have in mind, either.

He probably basically believes what he says.

Notice though that he heads the whole set of comments (at least as reported) with the hint that he's wearing "biased goggles". So he might be sparing a few blushes.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Ponting's assessment of where Australia's cricket is at Empty Re: Ponting's assessment of where Australia's cricket is at

Post by lardbucket Sun 18 Aug 2013, 03:49

I read it as him approaching the problems with a 'glass half full' mindset.

What are you doing still up? Not that I'm in any position to criticise anyone's sleep pattern ...

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Sun 18 Aug 2013, 03:54

Ponting: "We will just wait and see, but the one thing I do not want to do is to travel around the world for six or eight months a year." Quoted from the Caribbean, where he is on duty for the Antigua Hawksbills in the Caribbean Premier League. Rolling Eyes 
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105982
Registration date : 2007-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Sun 18 Aug 2013, 04:01

I don't think he'll be there for 8 months, somehow.

He's making the point that he does not at this stage of his family life want to spend any more long periods touring, as either a player, commentator, or coach. Pretty straightforward really.

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Sun 18 Aug 2013, 04:02

I know what point he's making. Just ironic that he would make the statement from a chosen overseas 20-20 tournament. Someone held a gun to his head? If you choose to, you could play 8 months year.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Sun 18 Aug 2013, 08:10

Steve Waugh gave his assessment today in the Sun Herald. Some points he made were- 1. Katich was dumped far too early, and that it was a ridiculous decision to axe him considering he'd averaged 50 in the year he was dumped.

2. Australia needs to show patience with their young crop of batsmen. There is plenty of talent but they need to be backed, and hope that one of them can play a breakthrough innings, because it becomes contagious. He said that Mark Taylor's first Ashes century in 1989 inspired him to make his 177 in the next test at Headingley.

Personally, I think that extra 5% of desire that an international cricketer needs is missing from this current Aussie bunch.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Sun 18 Aug 2013, 08:12

Henry wrote:Personally, I think that extra 5% of desire that an international cricketer needs is missing from this current Aussie bunch.
Damn straight. The apathy is lead by Captain Softcock, TAYne POCson, and Vice Captain Spoiled Brat, Cave ("I'll sledge you via Twitter) Warn-out.

Last edited by skully on Sun 18 Aug 2013, 08:14; edited 1 time in total
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Sun 18 Aug 2013, 08:13

(1) is obvious to anyone who has ever played or watched cricket and whose name is not horace

(2) agree; but they really need to pick players with desire and technique, not the flashy show ponies. Keep them away from T20 shit because that, and more particularly the money that goes with it, erodes desire.

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Sun 18 Aug 2013, 08:15

lardbucket wrote: Keep them away from T20 shit because that, and more particularly the money that goes with it, erodes desire.
The single easiest solution to Australian Cricket's malaise.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Sun 18 Aug 2013, 08:17

lardbucket wrote:(1) is obvious to anyone who has ever played or watched cricket and whose name is not horace

(2) agree; but they really need to pick players with desire and technique, not the flashy show ponies. Keep them away from T20 shit because that, and more particularly the money that goes with it, erodes desire.
He did mention that there was too many flashy players in the current line up. He said that one or two flashy players in your top six is fine, but four or five of them is too many. You also need guys who can grind out the tough runs on tricky pitches and against good bowling.

And I'm going to STFU now because with all this para-phrasing I'm starting to sound like Red.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Sun 18 Aug 2013, 08:23

At least you know you sound like Red ...Red doesnt know she sounds like herself
embee
embee

Number of posts : 26217
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Sun 18 Aug 2013, 08:26

For instance ... Maddinson and Mitch Marsh, touted as future heroes.

When have they ever made tough runs?

Sure, they can slog and carve on easy wickets, probably better than most players going around, but what happens when they come up against a bowler like Anderson, Chris Martin, or Dale Steyn on a wicket offering assistance? A quick round trip to the centre; that's what happens.

Where are the tough bastards?

One good thing that happened last year ... we started to see Shield wickets that helped bowlers again. Thank God for that. The flashy show ponies had been belting good bowlers around for a few years because all the wickets were blancmanges. Last year wickets were tumbling throughout the land as batsmen played shit shots against balls that moved. WE need more of that to sort out who can actually play a composed innings.

I really liked the look of WA's Davis, who clearly knows how to play a long innings .... but he had a terrible run last year. Maybe he'll be back. Maybe it's not too late for Klinger after all. Who else is even in contention? Butterworth is as tough as nails, and can bat, but he seems to be thought of purely as a bowler these days. Silk and Doolan are tough and have the technique and the determination. Head and Handscomb, maybe. I'm not sure if we could have Head, Root, and Rogers in the same series ....

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Sun 18 Aug 2013, 11:16

lardbucket wrote:I'm not sure if we could have Head, Root, and Rogers in the same series ....
David Willey's getting himself in the frame as well...

beamer

Number of posts : 15399

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Sun 18 Aug 2013, 16:59

Cummins?
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Mon 19 Aug 2013, 23:02

More proof that Haddin's an idiot ... he thinks Australia 'deserves' a win at The Oval.

Stop talking, start performing, twat. Catch the ball; it's the red thing that flies by you off the edge of an English bat.

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Mon 19 Aug 2013, 23:12

Mickey Arthur- "Watson was one of the players I lost."

http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/content/current/story/663557.html

Also goes on to say that most of the young Aussie cricketers have big egos.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Mon 19 Aug 2013, 23:14

One of eleven, I think.

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Mon 19 Aug 2013, 23:17

You can understand his anger if it's true that several people had backed his decision to suspend those four players to his face, but had then told CA they didn't agree with it.

The inevitable book will be some interesting reading.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Mon 19 Aug 2013, 23:20

lardbucket wrote:More proof that Haddin's an idiot ... he thinks Australia 'deserves' a win at The Oval.

Stop talking, start performing, twat. Catch the ball; it's the red thing that flies by you off the edge of an English bat.
.... to be plucked out of the air with breathtaking agility two metres wide of the leg stump.

And again!
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Mon 19 Aug 2013, 23:24

I remain worried by the ones he watches fly by to his right, and the ones that hit him in the leg before he has even moved.

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Mon 19 Aug 2013, 23:28

Don't forget he was catching those legside sparrows for his international career.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Tue 20 Aug 2013, 08:11

lardbucket wrote:For instance ... Maddinson and Mitch Marsh, touted as future heroes.

When have they ever made tough runs?

Sure, they can slog and carve on easy wickets, probably better than most players going around, but what happens when they come up against a bowler like Anderson, Chris Martin, or Dale Steyn on a wicket offering assistance? A quick round trip to the centre; that's what happens.

Where are the tough bastards?

One good thing that happened last year ... we started to see Shield wickets that helped bowlers again. Thank God for that. The flashy show ponies had been belting good bowlers around for a few years because all the wickets were blancmanges. Last year wickets were tumbling throughout the land as batsmen played shit shots against balls that moved. WE need more of that to sort out who can actually play a composed innings.

I really liked the look of WA's Davis, who clearly knows how to play a long innings .... but he had a terrible run last year. Maybe he'll be back. Maybe it's not too late for Klinger after all. Who else is even in contention? Butterworth is as tough as nails, and can bat, but he seems to be thought of purely as a bowler these days. Silk and Doolan are tough and have the technique and the determination. Head and Handscomb, maybe. I'm not sure if we could have Head, Root, and Rogers in the same series ....
agree with this entirely...however Bernie and the other deadheads will select marsh and madman...I am certain a tough journeyman like Rogers is not the their template for the future ...I guess Lardy your shot at me above is because I have never been convinced by Katich...suggest you talk to Cowan or read between the lines in his book about the culture of the dubber dressing room which fleas led
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Registration date : 2007-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Sat 26 Oct 2013, 07:30

Interesting stuff from Punter on why he played Murali so well but Harby so poorly:

As for weaknesses, you'd say spin bowling was the one you started with based on nurture?

Yeah, I started with that, but it's interesting, it was only a couple of series around playing spin as well. My record in Australia against spin would be pretty good because I knew how to play on those pitches. It was only on a couple of visits to India where I really struggled. I had some good series in Sri Lanka against Murali on some spinning wickets and found a way to play him. I think it was actually the shape he bowled. Harbhajan troubled me more because when he started he got the ball to drift out, and when the ball drifts out, it lures you into playing. Murali's angle, because he was wide of the crease and coming over the ball, he was almost drifting in and spinning in further. Harbhajan got me a lot early from balls that drifted out, committed me to play, caught a footmark and got caught in close. Murali was always coming that way [towards the leg side], so I could work him around.

Once Harbhajan got me a few times then it was harder to go out and start against him and face him, because he had the wood on me. But I got hold of him in some of the big moments, like the World Cup final and things like that. It was just one of those battles that started the first ODI I played against him in Sharjah [in 1998], and continued on right to the end.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Mon 28 Oct 2013, 07:36

Interesting that Punter wants Bailey in the test side but Chappelli doesn't has he thinks Bailey's not a good red ball player.
Red
Red

Number of posts : 17071
Registration date : 2007-10-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next