Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A wacky cricket celebrity baby name...

+17
Big Dog
OP Tipping
spangler
lardbucket
Ethics? The Gall!
horace
LeFromage
skully
taipan
JGK
WideWally
Nath
embee
Brass Monkey
Merlin
PeterCS
Red
21 posters

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

A wacky cricket celebrity baby name... - Page 3 Empty Re: A wacky cricket celebrity baby name...

Post by horace Tue 23 Jan 2018, 21:17

I've always wondered how many people dubbed absurd names by bonkers parents change their name.
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

A wacky cricket celebrity baby name... - Page 3 Empty Re: A wacky cricket celebrity baby name...

Post by skully Tue 23 Jan 2018, 21:36

The ones I hate are the bogans that angrily correct you when you get the pronunciation of a weird name wrong. I feel like saying "well give the poor thing a proper name then, you look-at-me donkey".
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105920
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Tue 23 Jan 2018, 21:59

Yes. I really do not understand all this.

I have a Samoan friend with both traditional tattoos and name. 

He told me he has met two young kids, one in the US and the other in Pomgolia, who share his name. Both families have no ties to Samoa.

He is also amusing on the subject of Westy/Euros inking up. He sees it as a form of cultural appropriation when he has had a skinful and is cross. Otherwise he just laughs at the vacuity that prompts folk to needle meaning into their lives.
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Dog Tue 23 Jan 2018, 23:12

skully wrote:I think wacky baby names are like tattoos. Favoured by trendy bogans and designed for "look at me" value, but largely ridiculed and ultimately regretted.

Sage
Big Dog
Big Dog

Number of posts : 16498
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : tig

http://bigdog.bigblog.com.au/index.do

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Tue 23 Jan 2018, 23:47

It's mainly about creating children who they think are special.

I know of parents of a drug-addled daughter who named her son Napoleon, changed his name when they were awarded custody.
Red
Red

Number of posts : 17071
Registration date : 2007-10-28

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Wed 24 Jan 2018, 00:10

JGK wrote:
Red wrote:Pharoah

Did spell correct not work on the birth form?

nice one ... you know the answer

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
116 - 9 - 400 - 4

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38084
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Wed 24 Jan 2018, 01:01

Red wrote:It's mainly about creating children who they think are special.

I know of parents of a drug-addled daughter who named her son Napoleon, changed his name when they were awarded custody.

The first Freakonomics book talks about names and whether it has an effect on your life.   The conclusion was that shit names don't cause you to have a shit life but it is correlated - mainly because the first thing you do for a kid is give it a name.   If you can't even do that properly you are unlikely to do the harder stuff properly either.  

The great example they used was about a teenage girl called Temptress who, as it turned out, was in court for soliciting sex.  Her deadbeat mum was in the court and the judge asked her why she gave her that name.  The response was "I named her after the actress in the Cosby Show".   Of course, that actress' name was Tempestt Bledsoe - itself a stupid spelling but not Temptress.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Wed 24 Jan 2018, 01:14

Even worse than the whacky (moon unit, dweezil, fifi-trixabelle etc) is the stupid spelling of common names. "It's Danni with a h, j and an asterix somewhere".
Bradman
Bradman

Number of posts : 17402
Registration date : 2008-08-13
Flag/Background : war

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Wed 24 Jan 2018, 01:35

In my line of work, I've sadly seen people afflicted with names for other reasons, clearly not through their own choice or that of their parents ... a bloke called Bimbo, and whole families afflicted with surnames like Potato and Cokebottle. amy you will also have seen this.

... and then there's people called Taylor choosing to christen their daughter Jenna ...

116 - 9 - 400 - 4

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Wed 24 Jan 2018, 01:50

I actually knew a bouncer in PNG ( and bouncers in PNG can more or less shoot first and ask questions later with impunity) whose name was Fifi. His dog's name was Colin FFS!
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Wed 24 Jan 2018, 02:17

Bradman wrote:Even worse than the whacky (moon unit, dweezil, fifi-trixabelle etc) is the stupid spelling of common names.  "It's Danni with a h, j and an asterix somewhere".

The greatest abomination is Jorja.

JGK

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Wed 24 Jan 2018, 03:04

Whatever happened to Sozzie Jorja??
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105920

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Wed 24 Jan 2018, 03:14

Red wrote:It's mainly about creating children who they think are special.

They changed it to Illya?
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Wed 24 Jan 2018, 04:04

JGK wrote:
Bradman wrote:Even worse than the whacky (moon unit, dweezil, fifi-trixabelle etc) is the stupid spelling of common names.  "It's Danni with a h, j and an asterix somewhere".

Yeah that's at least in the top ten. Apols to anyone who gave their kids farking stupid names.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Wed 24 Jan 2018, 04:14

JGK wrote:

Whenever I see silly, or unusual spelling of kids' names, I feel for them later in life when they have to spell it out every time they are stuck on the other end of the phone, or making transactions etc.

Some of the doubling of consonants for example is ridiculous. I've come across many names like Eloise which have become Elloise, Imogen, Immogen and so on. Why?

Then there was an Emily, spelt as Emmaleigh. Le-ah. I wondered about this and till I was told that it was Lee dash ah.

The trendiest thing at the moment is to name them after countries and cities. Flowers are very much passe, but it seems like abstract nouns are in fashion again.

It is interesting to note that when the Beckhams named their daughter Harper, people thought they were going all literary, but it turns out it was after the fashion magazine.
Red
Red

Number of posts : 17071
Registration date : 2007-10-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Wed 24 Jan 2018, 04:30

Didn't they name one after the city/suburb they first shagged in? That should be an interesting after dinner topic in ten years or so.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Wed 24 Jan 2018, 04:57

skully wrote:Whatever happened to Sozzie Jorja??

She's not here ... we lost her and E_O at around the same time.

116 - 9 - 400 - 4

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Wed 24 Jan 2018, 05:14

Bradman wrote:Didn't they name one after the city/suburb they first shagged in?  That should be an interesting after dinner topic in ten years or so.

Brooklyn.

JGK

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Wed 24 Jan 2018, 05:15

Red wrote:
JGK wrote:

Whenever I see silly, or unusual spelling of kids' names, I feel for them later in life when they have to spell it out every time they are stuck on the other end of the phone, or making transactions etc.

Some of the doubling of consonants for example is ridiculous.  I've come across many names like Eloise which have become Elloise, Imogen, Immogen and so on. Why?

Then there was an Emily, spelt as Emmaleigh.  Le-ah.  I wondered about this and till I was told that it was Lee dash ah.

The trendiest thing at the moment is to name them after countries and cities.  Flowers are very much passe, but it seems like abstract nouns are in fashion again.

It is interesting to note that when the Beckhams named their daughter Harper, people thought they were going all literary, but it turns out it was after the fashion magazine.

I've got no problem with exotic or rare names (Lord knows, my kids' names aren't exactly common). But yes, stupid spellings and just made up words are annoying. The former in particular will sentence the kids to a lifetime of annoyance.

JGK

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Wed 24 Jan 2018, 05:25

Yeah but there's no Moon Units is there?
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Wed 24 Jan 2018, 05:54

lardbucket wrote:
skully wrote:Whatever happened to Sozzie Jorja??

She's not here ... we lost her and E_O at around the same time.

Not sure she ever made the jump. Was in contact for a while but then she disappeared.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Wed 24 Jan 2018, 06:08

Which one had the disability?
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Wed 24 Jan 2018, 06:12

Jorja
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Wed 24 Jan 2018, 06:38

tac registered as jorja on C4

embee
embee

Number of posts : 26203
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Wed 24 Jan 2018, 06:40

embee wrote:tac registered as jorja on C4

And Jorja posted as Sozzie
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next