Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is it just me . . . (The Hearsay Thread)

+34
Blackadder
Gen
Bradman
simkat
G.Wood
DJ_Smerk
PeterCS
Big_Bad_Bob
LeFromage
JB
Henry Nolonga
furriner
Batman
eowyn
holcs
The One
noelene
Brass Monkey
mynah
doctorspin
ojitarian
bliksem
JKLever
Merlin
Lara Lara Laughs
taipan
Zat
Fred Nerk
doremi
*Buckaroo*
HH_pink
skully
lardbucket
tac
38 posters

Page 1 of 23 1, 2, 3 ... 12 ... 23  Next

Go down

Is it just me . . . (The Hearsay Thread) Empty Is it just me . . . (The Hearsay Thread)

Post by tac Tue 08 Jan 2008, 08:35

. . . or do the Indians and Trev (and assorted conspiracy theorists) seem so much happier now they have something to moan about?

Last edited by tac on Fri 23 Oct 2009, 14:25; edited 2 times in total
tac
tac

Number of posts : 19270
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : pon

Back to top Go down

Is it just me . . . (The Hearsay Thread) Empty Re: Is it just me . . . (The Hearsay Thread)

Post by lardbucket Tue 08 Jan 2008, 08:36

It's good to see Vikas back.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
116 - 9 - 400 - 4

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38103
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Is it just me . . . (The Hearsay Thread) Empty Re: Is it just me . . . (The Hearsay Thread)

Post by tac Tue 08 Jan 2008, 08:37

It's good to see the back of Vikas?
tac
tac

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Tue 08 Jan 2008, 08:38

No, it's great to have him here.

116 - 9 - 400 - 4

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Tue 08 Jan 2008, 08:39

Has he had that glass of water yet?
tac
tac

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Tue 08 Jan 2008, 08:40

tac wrote:. . . or do the Indians and Trev (and assorted conspiracy theorists) seem so much happier now they have something to moan about?
Is this a redundant question?
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105949

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Tue 08 Jan 2008, 08:41

tac ... no, I think it's a conclusive test.

116 - 9 - 400 - 4

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Tue 08 Jan 2008, 08:42

Repeatedly foaming at the mouth when offered water ... yep, it's definitely rabies. Probably bitten by a monkey he was worshipping.

Last edited by on Tue 08 Jan 2008, 08:43; edited 1 time in total

116 - 9 - 400 - 4

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Tue 08 Jan 2008, 08:43

I had a run in with some nasty holy monkeys once.
tac
tac

Back to top Go down

Post by HH_pink Tue 08 Jan 2008, 08:44

Uh oh ...
HH_pink
HH_pink

Is it just me . . . (The Hearsay Thread) APSeEpm

Number of posts : 3353
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Tue 08 Jan 2008, 08:45

What uh-oh? You must have seen how they grab stuff from visitors to Gauhati temple and generally run riot?
tac
tac

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Tue 08 Jan 2008, 08:50

Actually I do feel sorry for Vikas.

In his parallel universe, Tendulkar sent an SMS to Powar, Lehmann was caught on camera making racist remarks about Russel Arnold, and 'Andrew Symonds is not a black man' ...

It's about his identity, stupid, and it was all canvassed in advance of the series. Yet we still have Indian fans today, on televiison, prepared to say "So what if Harbhajan called him a monkey, that's not racist'.

116 - 9 - 400 - 4

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Tue 08 Jan 2008, 08:52

lardbucket wrote:Actually I do feel sorry for Vikas.

In his parallel universe, Tendulkar sent an SMS to Powar, Lehmann was caught on camera making racist remarks about Russel Arnold, and 'Andrew Symonds is not a black man' ...

It's about his identity, stupid, and it was all canvassed in advance of the series. Yet we still have Indian fans today, on televiison, prepared to say "So what if Harbhajan called him a monkey, that's not racist'.

It is a joke.
tac
tac

Back to top Go down

Post by *Buckaroo* Tue 08 Jan 2008, 08:53

lardbucket wrote:It's about his identity, stupid, and it was all canvassed in advance of the series. Yet we still have Indian fans today, on televiison, prepared to say "So what if Harbhajan called him a monkey, that's not racist'.

It is not racist in India . period. It could be used to needle or irritate but not with the intent to racially humiliate somebody.

Just imagine somebody calling Symo a monkey and then post-match turning up at the temple next-door to worship one. Gee..

Last edited by on Tue 08 Jan 2008, 08:55; edited 1 time in total
*Buckaroo*
*Buckaroo*

Number of posts : 4771
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : wi

http://exc4cricket.forum-motion.com/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Tue 08 Jan 2008, 08:55

*Buckaroo* wrote:
lardbucket wrote:It's about his identity, stupid, and it was all canvassed in advance of the series. Yet we still have Indian fans today, on televiison, prepared to say "So what if Harbhajan called him a monkey, that's not racist'.

It is not racist in India . period. It could be used to needle or irritate but not with the intent to racially humiliate somebody.

Just imagine somebody calling Symo a monkey and then post-match turning up at the local temple to worship one. Gee..
So if Roy called Bhajji a monkey, what would be the repercussions?
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105949

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Tue 08 Jan 2008, 08:55

*Buckaroo* wrote:

Just imagine somebody calling Symo a monkey and then post-match turning up at the local temple to worship one. Gee..

So after all the bother in the recent ODI series Indians don't understand that calling a black man "monkey" is racist?

P@ki isn't racist in Australia but we don't use it because we realize that it is regarded as racist elsewhere, but Indians are above such compromise?
tac
tac

Back to top Go down

Post by *Buckaroo* Tue 08 Jan 2008, 08:59

tac wrote:
*Buckaroo* wrote:

So after all the bother in the recent ODI series Indians don't understand that calling a black man "monkey" is racist?

P@ki isn't racist in Australia but we don't use it because we realize that it is regarded as racist elsewhere, but Indians are above such compromise?

Point is that Indians' do not have the cultural reference or the cultural guilt of misusing the word monkey.

Now the Indians who do have some international exposure ... who have visited places around the world .. know that indeed could be offensive.

Do you read me ?
*Buckaroo*
*Buckaroo*

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Tue 08 Jan 2008, 09:01

Indians are above such compromise.

They knew that calling Symonds a monkey would upset him and they knew they would get away with it by 1) denial; 2) if that failed, the 'term of praise' defence; and 3) if that failed, threats, counter-accusations, and dummy-spitting.

It's the most pathetic display I've seen in nearly 40 years of cricket supporting.

116 - 9 - 400 - 4

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by HH_pink Tue 08 Jan 2008, 09:01

tac wrote:
*Buckaroo* wrote:

TBF, it is more likely to be uttered in the heat of the moment when it's not actually a big deal in your culture and has rarely ever been pointed out as 'wrong'. Human brains are just steaming piles of poo, and shite like that ...
HH_pink
HH_pink

Back to top Go down

Post by doremi Tue 08 Jan 2008, 09:01

*Buckaroo* wrote:

Just imagine somebody calling Symo a monkey and then post-match turning up at the temple next-door to worship one. Gee..

Ofcourse, that doesn't count in Harbhajan's case since Sikhs don't worship Hanuman afaik.
doremi
doremi

Number of posts : 9743
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Tue 08 Jan 2008, 09:03

So he wouldn't be using the term as a form of praise then?

116 - 9 - 400 - 4

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by HH_pink Tue 08 Jan 2008, 09:06

No.
HH_pink
HH_pink

Back to top Go down

Post by *Buckaroo* Tue 08 Jan 2008, 09:07

lardbucket wrote:Indians are above such compromise.

They knew that calling Symonds a monkey would upset him and they knew they would get away with it by 1) denial; 2) if that failed, the 'term of praise' defence; and 3) if that failed, threats, counter-accusations, and dummy-spitting.

It's the most pathetic display I've seen in nearly 40 years of cricket supporting.

Respected forumite, it's a question of educating those people who have no exposure to what goes on in the west.

As far as many Indians .. esp the working-class types who watch croicket matches are concerned .. they do not know why Symonds is being called a monkey except for his weird hair.

they do not even know he is non-white. That is the level of their awareness.

But I think a few blokes who were quite smart and were showing monkey signs in Mumbai and who were arrested probably knew exactly what they were doing. And thus they were hauled up.

The general crowd is just going along with whatever ... they do not have the depth to realize what's insulting except for the players hair etc.
*Buckaroo*
*Buckaroo*

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Nerk Tue 08 Jan 2008, 09:09

If Symonds is the monkey, does that make Ponting the organ grinder?

Fred Nerk

Number of posts : 8813
Registration date : 2007-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Tue 08 Jan 2008, 09:10

That's an amazing post, Buck, and I take my hat off to you. Even if you'd called me an oik.

116 - 9 - 400 - 4

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 23 1, 2, 3 ... 12 ... 23  Next