Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bali Nine executions to be carried out on Wednesday

+15
JGK
horace
Bradman
PeterCS
Big Dog
lardbucket
krikri
skully
beamer
Basil
Merlin
Brass Monkey
taipan
embee
Growler
19 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Bali Nine executions to be carried out on Wednesday Empty Bali Nine executions to be carried out on Wednesday

Post by Growler Mon 27 Apr 2015, 12:34

It looks as though the Indonesian government has set a definitive time for the death sentences to be carried out. The condemned were moved to Nusakambangen Island some weeks ago, and a local undertaker has begun preparations by inscribing their names and date of death.

There are the usual calls for clemency, but I fear they will fall on deaf ears, and that the nine will be shot. I've sympathy for their families and friends - this must be an awful time for them .....

..... as for the prisoners themselves, rather less if I'm brutally honest about it. A niece of mine with everything to live for had her life wrecked after she got involved with the shit they were smuggling - so I know first hand the misery caused by the illegal drug trade.

Personally, on the scale of inhuman shit-bags, I put child molesters at the bottom, and rapists only slightly higher. On account of the amount of misery their activities are responsible for, I'd put drug runners in between the two categories.

They wouldn't face execution here in the UK, or indeed in Australia, as we don't have capital punishment. Unfortunately for them, they weren't arrested in either country. They were arrested in Indonesia, which does - and they knew conviction if caught could result in execution, and went ahead anyway.

What's the general consensus in Australia over this news?
Growler
Growler

Bali Nine executions to be carried out on Wednesday MPDozzd

Number of posts : 2286
Registration date : 2007-10-13
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Bali Nine executions to be carried out on Wednesday Empty Re: Bali Nine executions to be carried out on Wednesday

Post by embee Mon 27 Apr 2015, 12:39

only 2 are being executed
embee
embee

Number of posts : 26217
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Bali Nine executions to be carried out on Wednesday Empty Re: Bali Nine executions to be carried out on Wednesday

Post by Growler Mon 27 Apr 2015, 12:44

Any links please, mb - our media have it as preparations for all of them ... but obviously the information can change at any time, and you're obviously much closer than we are.
Growler
Growler

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Mon 27 Apr 2015, 12:51

wikipedia
embee
embee

Back to top Go down

Post by Growler Mon 27 Apr 2015, 13:08

Wiki is usually reliable, but my link HERE is sourced from Reuters and AAP.

I suspect in this instance that they are more likely to have the better information.
Growler
Growler

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Mon 27 Apr 2015, 13:37

Growler wrote:Wiki is usually reliable, but my link HERE is sourced from Reuters and AAP.

I suspect in this instance that they are more likely to have the better information.

Growls the report you referenced clearly states the Bali Nine duo.
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Mon 27 Apr 2015, 13:41

there are others , not part of the bali 9 . scheduled for execution
embee
embee

Back to top Go down

Post by Growler Mon 27 Apr 2015, 13:47

Ah, my misunderstanding then - apologies.
Growler
Growler

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Mon 27 Apr 2015, 13:57

No prob, we've all been there.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Mon 27 Apr 2015, 14:57

Heh. Drug runners level with rapists and paedos... Wowzer - I've heard everything now.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Mon 27 Apr 2015, 15:41

In November 1983 Barlow and Chambers were arrested in Malaysia trying to smuggle heroin

They were executed in July 1986

The govts of australia and the UK (Barlow had dual nationality) protested Malaysia about the execution but they still happened

The lessons that most of Australia got out of that was

They kill drug smugglers in Asia and they dont give a ****** if you are an Aussie

I dont like the death penalty but know it exists

Perhaps the Bali 9 were too young to remember Barlow and Chambers

Chan and Sukumaran were the ringleaders of the group . This is why they face the death penalty

Apparently* if Chan and Sukumaran had given up their bosses they would be facing the death penalty but have been told their families would not be safe if they do

The pair have "reformed" after their arrest and have been model prisoners . This seems to be the main reason people want clemency ( Apart from the notion of state authorized murder) . A counter argument is that the reform is one of their only hopes so they are playing it for all its worth

If they are killed I hope it sends the same message that Barlow and Chambers hanging did
embee
embee

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Mon 27 Apr 2015, 16:32

They kill drug smugglers in Asia
If they are killed I hope it sends the same message that Barlow and Chambers hanging did

Two very resonant sentences.

Westerners may abhor the death sentence (I do not, I believe it necessary for certain heinous crimes) -
and the notion that this is a "State authorized murder" defies belief!

Executions for certain crimes are a statute in Indonesian and Malaysian Law - FACT.
The fact that it doesn't sit very well with Westerners is tough.
Hence the Indonesians and the Malays not give a rats arse about what others might think - and rightly so.

Smuggling heroin is a heinous crime.
It brings misery to users, their families, their friends, society in general, and invariably ends up
with the users horrible and untimely death.

To forgive such people who contribute wholly to this suffering is a crime in itself.

I will never forget the picture of a young girl slumped cross-legged over a needle, eyes glazed over,
one arm strapped the other outstretched with open palm - vomit around her body in the dingy kitchenette
of her Uni flat. She died of an overdose of heroin - alone.
The picture was published in all the papers some years ago after her devastated parents gave their consent
to its publication in the hope that it deterred others from such misfortune.

By continuing to support the pseudo-liberal cuties 'forgiveness programme for drug smugglers' is tantamount
to sticking up a middle finger at both the suffering parents and the memory of that dead girl and the several others
who have suffered the same fate.

Hang the smugglers.

Merlin

Number of posts : 14718
Registration date : 2007-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 27 Apr 2015, 16:38

Brass Monkey wrote:Heh. Drug runners level with rapists and paedos... Wowzer - I've heard everything now.
Always find it insane how murderers don't seem to be high on a lot of people's shit lists. A woman who is raped still has a chance at a life, someone who is killed has no chance.

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Mon 27 Apr 2015, 16:38

Do Westerners abhor the death sentence?

I assume that we are excluding seppo's from this.

Long after it was abolished in UK a considerable, if not a majority of citizens were still in favour.

I am not sure if anyone is claiming these two are innocent but they did the crime and they were aware of the consequences.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Mon 27 Apr 2015, 16:51

vilkrang wrote:
Brass Monkey wrote:Heh. Drug runners level with rapists and paedos... Wowzer - I've heard everything now.
Always find it insane how murderers don't seem to be high on a lot of people's shit lists. A woman who is raped still has a chance at a life, someone who is killed has no chance.

Yeah, it is very strange IMO. The thought of ending someone's life is heinous - to stop them existing forever. A terrible crime. It ranks pretty f*cking high (or low) on my list.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Mon 27 Apr 2015, 16:54

taipan wrote:Do Westerners abhor the death sentence?

Long after it was abolished in UK a considerable, if not a majority of citizens were still in favour.

I am not sure if anyone is claiming these two are innocent but they did the crime and they were aware of the consequences.

Let me rephrase.

The greater majority of the UK's elected MPs (I'd guess at 80%) are definitely against capital punishment
in any form - period. These are the people who are elected by the population - yet never mention "capital punishment"
in their manifesto!
It appears to be the cutie leftie-liberal minded populace who abhor taking a life for a heinous crime ...
Perhaps I generalised when referring to 'Westerners' ... though I'm not so sure ...
Sadly, people have come around to the belief that capital punishment is best not reintroduced again ...

There will be people who will acknowledge that the crime was committed BUT that their execution ought
to be commuted to a life sentence.

Merlin

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Mon 27 Apr 2015, 17:02

Merlin wrote:
taipan wrote:Do Westerners abhor the death sentence?

Let me rephrase.

The greater majority of the UK's elected MPs (I'd guess at 80%) are definitely against capital punishment
in any form - period. These are the people who are elected by the population - yet never mention "capital punishment"
in their manifesto!
It appears to be the cutie leftie-liberal minded populace who abhor taking a life for a heinous crime ...
Perhaps I generalised when referring to 'Westerners' ... though I'm not so sure ...
Sadly, people have come around to the belief that capital punishment is best not reintroduced again ...

There will be people who will acknowledge that the crime was committed BUT that their execution ought
to be commuted to a life sentence.

Well that is how it was abolished in the UK in the first place despite a majority of voters being in favour.

So much for the will of the people.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Mon 27 Apr 2015, 17:05

So much for the will of the people.
I fully agree.
Wouldn't give you a rosebud smelling fart for any one of those
dickheads currently vying for government.
Perhaps the Scotty Sturgeon, if she offered me a quick one under the knuckles behind the bike shed...

Merlin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 27 Apr 2015, 18:01

My main argument is that if a single person is wrongly convicted then at a later date new evidence appears that could exonerate the accused, it's a bit f*cking late if they've been killed.

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Mon 27 Apr 2015, 18:16

Well, if their actions cause death - they are murderers
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Mon 27 Apr 2015, 18:27

Basil wrote:

Well, if their actions cause death - they are murderers

They don't really, do they? Unless I'm mistaken (and we're on about drugs killing people) then the drug taker kills himself by taking them.

May as well call gun manufacturers, car manufacturers, pub landlords and McDonald's managers murderers in that case.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Mon 27 Apr 2015, 18:28

vilkrang wrote:My main argument is that if a single person is wrongly convicted then at a later date new evidence appears that could exonerate the accused, it's a bit f*cking late if they've been killed.

Timothy Evans?
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Mon 27 Apr 2015, 18:30

I've got mixed views on it for the most serious of crimes, like murderers and child abusers, it's deserved and saves us wasting money on their Playstations and Sky TV in prison, but the miscarriage of justice aspect is a difficult one to get over.

Drug smuggling, on the other hand, it's a serious crime but nowhere near in that league. Why should a country have to respect the justice system of another in dealing with their citizens anyway? Has any country ever taken military action against another to free their prisoners abroad?

beamer

Number of posts : 15399
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Mon 27 Apr 2015, 19:59

These two were the absolute scum of the Earth at the time of their arrest. Chan was the heartless & merciless ring leader and Sukumaran was the evil & cruel strong arm that ensured the drug mules did as they were told. Most if not all of the 7 (those of the Bali 9 that are not being executed) were poor dumb employees of a catering company that they all worked for that were basically forced by the big 2 to be drug mules, with threats to their families (with some pain actually inflicted as a warning shot) being the main disincentive to say no. The 7 were/are terrified of Chan & Sukumaran. All testified so during the trials.

At the time of their trial there was little sympathy for the big 2, such was the cruel nature of their blackmail on the 7. There was lots of "well, these dickheads know the Bali laws. Do the crime, do the time" in Aus. However, now that the executions are nigh, suddenly the bleeding hearts are out in force.

I really don't care one way or the other, but rehabilitation has been a big arguing point. The claim is that in the ensuing years since their conviction the big 2 have become pillars of society. It's not for me to judge, but the leopard's spots thing tends to stick in my mind.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105981
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by krikri Mon 27 Apr 2015, 20:53

It should not be up to the state to determine what you can and cannot ingest into your own body. End of.

I also find it somewhat disturbing that so called civilised people think that premeditated state sanctioned killing after capture is somehow good for society. And they almost never have any connection to the cases that they're cheering on for death. It's a bit of an insane blood lust to me.
krikri
krikri

Number of posts : 399
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next