Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

farewell to the WACA

+3
Fred Nerk
skully
lardbucket
7 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

farewell to the WACA - Page 2 Empty Re: farewell to the WACA

Post by taipan Tue 12 Dec 2017, 13:31

And there goes Bradman's 99.94
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Tue 12 Dec 2017, 18:10

Fair price I reckon.
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Tue 12 Dec 2017, 18:32

Remind me, when did Indigenous Australians get full voting rights?
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Tue 12 Dec 2017, 20:47

Aboriginal folk were effectively treated as flora and fauna until the 60's referendum which enabled them to be counted in the Census.

This was a legacy of poorly documented colonial conquest. Oz is still grappling to come to terms with the realities of history. Oddly enough yesterday I went to a memorial service for an historian. This bloke inter alia researched and wrote several important histories of Euros in Oz. One concerned wars and memorials. He gave a mildly well known speech after publication of the work and discussed the need for histories to be written about Aboriginal resistance to Eoro occupation. It was ignored by the powers that be.

The fundamental difference between SA and Oz was the former had a systematic political hegemony of the minority over the majority for ages. Wealth and privilege continue its historical based roots in both countries. The privilege of inherited wealth and as you would put it,access to" Good Schools
" perpetuates disadvantage, both here and in your joint.

Of course you have worked for where you are in life, as has everyone on this place.However your advantages and mine, through colour and class stamped your life and mine.

Apartheid was an abomination on the human condition. Happily it has gone in your joint, irrespective of the fatuous arguments you put about Saffie team selection. Your government is a disgrace but it is a blip in the vicissitudes of history. Hopefully it will improve.

My mob has gone backwards. I strongly doubt the 67 referendum would be passed today. The toxic racism of the Howard era continues to play out.

So no, I don't count the test records of Apartheid SA. As someone who supported sporting sanctions against your country, I'd happily support the same against my mob until we are held accountable for our role in war crimes, torture of refugees and the lack of justice meted for Aboriginal people here.

horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Tue 12 Dec 2017, 21:20

Exactly, by your standards the Aus test records should be scrapped as well.

And what fatuous arguments about team selection?  

You are the supporter of the quota system which is inherently racist.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Tue 12 Dec 2017, 22:19

horace wrote:Never attended a a Test or Shield game there which I regret.

2nded.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105982
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Tue 12 Dec 2017, 23:01

still plenty of opportunities to see games at the WACA
embee
embee

Number of posts : 26217
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Tue 12 Dec 2017, 23:39

horace wrote:I strongly doubt the 67 referendum would be passed today.

You are unnecessarily pessimistic about your fellow Australians. In my opinion your putative referendum would now get a >90% approval, with only a very few demented recidivist scum trying to return us to the 19th century.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
116 - 9 - 400 - 4

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38123

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Tue 12 Dec 2017, 23:59

Richie Rich doing an inspection of the new stadium

Scorchers doing some trial games against the Lionsfarewell to the WACA - Page 2 25182020_572700863065032_8225312505616128989_o
embee
embee

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Nerk Wed 13 Dec 2017, 01:05

From memory, in 67 we did get 90% or damn close nationwide, with the lowest majority in any single electorate being between 60 and 65.

Fred Nerk

Number of posts : 8821
Registration date : 2007-10-15
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Nerk Wed 13 Dec 2017, 01:30

To abandon Laverne and Shirley Episode 45683 and return to the topic of the thread, I had no idea this match was even played, let alone given List A status:

http://static.espncricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1970S/1971-72/WORLD-XI_IN_AUS/WORLD-XI_AUS_14DEC1971.html

It was the scheduled fifth day of the Lillee-shortened second international. The detail that caught my eye was Oz's choice of Staminade-stirrer.

Tony Mann, a virtual all-rounder who bowled leg spin, had made his first FC century a year before but had scarcely played a match for WA since, and was not vaguely in the running for an Ashes tour berth. He had the reputation in Perth grade cricket of being a fielding magician in the league of Lloyd, Sheahan, Edwards or the later Jonty Rhodes (although his fielding prowess was not mentioned when he bobbed up in the Test team five years later).

Were the selectors examining the Gary Pratt option, 10 years before the Pratster was born? There is no way of telling whether Hassa (like 'Garry' except 1970) did any more than mix drinks that day, but if that was their thinking it is amazingly far-sighted for a panel without any great reputation for innovation (unless forced) in a format in which Australia had played only once before.

Fred Nerk

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Wed 13 Dec 2017, 03:26

taipan wrote:Exactly, by your standards the Aus test records should be scrapped as well.

And what fatuous arguments about team selection?  

You are the supporter of the quota system which is inherently racist.

White Saffies inherit the benefits of historic injustices. Positive discrimination is valid as a means of redressing disadvantage. Apartheid which I note you do not disavow, was systematized racism committed by the minority against the majority. The accrued economic benefit to whites came at the expense of others. The ANC would have been more than justified in nationalising land and white controlled economic resources and institutions. Small redress of providing a better balanced cricket side is a small cost. It could be argued neither the SA rugger or cricket teams should exist.

Aboriginal people are around 2.5% of the Oz population. You are incorrect about voting. The Referendum sought amendment to the Constitution to inter alia require Aboriginal people be counted in the Census. Many Aboriginal people had registered and voted in elections prior to Constitutional change.

The fundamental difference between SA and Oz is the willful oppression of the majority in the former and the neglect and stupidity by the majority in Oz.

The extremes of institutionalized white supremacism in SA more than justified sporting bans and a rationale to expunge all SA sporting records.

horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Wed 13 Dec 2017, 03:46

Nice summary, h.

I still disagree with the SAf cricket team quota but.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105982

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Wed 13 Dec 2017, 03:58

From wiki.

Edit
Queensland gained self-government in 1859, extending voting rights in 1872 to include all British male subjects over the age of 21. Aboriginals were excluded from voting in Queensland in 1885, and the disqualification was in place until 1965.[3]

Western Australia Edit
Western Australia gained self-government in 1890. In 1893 voting rights were extended to include all British male subjects over the age of 21, with the exclusion of Aboriginal males. Aboriginals were disqualified for the vote in Western Australia until 1962.[3]

taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Wed 13 Dec 2017, 04:00

However you dress it up, picking a person on his skin colour is racism.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Wed 13 Dec 2017, 04:48

Fred Nerk wrote:To abandon Laverne and Shirley Episode 45683 and return to the topic of the thread, I had no idea this match was even played, let alone given List A status:

http://static.espncricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1970S/1971-72/WORLD-XI_IN_AUS/WORLD-XI_AUS_14DEC1971.html

It was the scheduled fifth day of the Lillee-shortened second international. The detail that caught my eye was Oz's choice of Staminade-stirrer.

Tony Mann, a virtual all-rounder who bowled leg spin, had made his first FC century a year before but had scarcely played a match for WA since, and was not vaguely in the running for an Ashes tour berth. He had the reputation in Perth grade cricket of being a fielding magician in the league of Lloyd, Sheahan, Edwards or the later Jonty Rhodes (although his fielding prowess was not mentioned when he bobbed up in the Test team five years later).

Were the selectors examining the Gary Pratt option, 10 years before the Pratster was born? There is no way of telling whether Hassa (like 'Garry' except 1970) did any more than mix drinks that day, but if that was their thinking it is amazingly far-sighted for a panel without any great reputation for innovation (unless forced) in a format in which Australia had played only once before.

He was an absolutely brilliant fielder at that time, but a more important consideration MAY have been his status as a WA Shield cricketer available to fill in for a match that was clearly arranged at short notice.

I am amazed that the 12th man is recorded at all. Try finding out from Cricinfo who was the designated 12th man in a Test we played in the 1990s or more recently

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
116 - 9 - 400 - 4

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38123

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Wed 13 Dec 2017, 09:37

Tony Mann was a mercurial cricketer.
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Wed 13 Dec 2017, 10:01

skully wrote:Nice summary, h.

Goodonya Skullywagz.

I and others used to tease Zimmy about being a Klan man. Of course this was nonsense and just fun, where Zimmy was part of the fun.

Unfortunately Nigel is an old beneficiary and supporter of Apartheid.
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Wed 13 Dec 2017, 10:13

horace wrote:
skully wrote:Nice summary, h.

Goodonya Skullywagz.

I and others used to tease Zimmy about being a Klan man. Of course this was nonsense and just fun, where Zimmy was part of the fun.

Unfortunately Nigel is an old beneficiary and supporter of Apartheid.

Good old horrie, as soon as he is proved to be wrong the trolling starts. Twisted Evil
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Wed 13 Dec 2017, 11:35

In 1967 Manchester United played the WA state soccer team at the WACA

Roy Stedman sent off Denis Law (who apparently told him to shove his whistle up his arse)

"Dont be a Stedman" is still taught in Football West ref's school

embee
embee

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Wed 13 Dec 2017, 11:50

embee wrote:In 1967 Manchester United played the WA state soccer team at the WACA

Roy Stedman sent off Denis Law (who apparently told him to shove his whistle up his arse)  

"Dont be a Stedman" is still taught in Football West ref's school

Local ref trying to make a name for himself. We had the same here when MU toured. Ref sent Bryan Robson off for swearing
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Nerk Wed 13 Dec 2017, 12:01

Denis Law played a season at City after getting the heave-ho from United at the end of the 72-73 season, when Manooted confirmed their 1st Div status for the following season on the last day....things didn't improve for the Red Menace the next year, and on the final day DL literally back-heeled them into Div 2 with his last touch before announcing his retirement.

Fred Nerk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2