Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aus Federal Politics thread (XV)

+14
Aditya
Fred Nerk
OP Tipping
Fromage
beamer
Blackadder
WideWally
Bradman
Red
taipan
JGK
embee
Big Dog
horace
18 posters

Page 32 of 37 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 37  Next

Go down

Aus Federal Politics thread (XV) - Page 32 Empty Re: Aus Federal Politics thread (XV)

Post by Bradman Sun 19 Apr 2020, 08:10

I think such an app could help. I'm just scared of the govts ability to get it right or not abuse the info.
Bradman
Bradman

Number of posts : 17402
Registration date : 2008-08-13
Flag/Background : war

Back to top Go down

Aus Federal Politics thread (XV) - Page 32 Empty Re: Aus Federal Politics thread (XV)

Post by skully Sun 19 Apr 2020, 08:21

And that is why very few will download it.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105897
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Mon 20 Apr 2020, 01:39

I will prolly sign up for the app. I would hate to get it and then be responsible for infecting others. 

Yep, I know the risks of big brother and that I have been on file since 1974 but don't really care.
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Mon 20 Apr 2020, 02:34

I would have thought since the fifties. Your membership of the CPA must have red flagged somewhere.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Wed 22 Apr 2020, 00:02

Another day of political manouvering for a possible commencement to a return of some sort of normality.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Wed 22 Apr 2020, 08:04

Bradman wrote:I would have thought since the fifties.  Your membership of the CPA must have red flagged somewhere.

ROFL. Most of the old stagers from those days have fallen off the twig. Talked to several about when the ban the CPA Referendum was on. Some buried their books in secret locations, another bricked his in to a new wall. A few sent their kids to live with rellos or apolitical friends.

Never bothered to FOI my file. Friends did and confirmed I was mentioned in despatches. I suspect I was in a not to be employed category in the Fed Public Service, though for a time I worked as a casual researcher with a PS outfit Fraser and Petro Georgio had set up.
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Wed 22 Apr 2020, 10:22

Knew two ex card carrying ommies fairly well.  Awful people with no redeeming features.  Frank Hardy and Fred Hollows.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Thu 23 Apr 2020, 11:56

Bradman wrote:Knew two ex card carrying ommies fairly well.  Awful people with no redeeming features.  Frank Hardy and Fred Hollows.

Lol... had a bit to do with Hardy and you are spot on. Never met Hollows but he sounded a complete arrogant tosser.
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Thu 23 Apr 2020, 12:34

Actually I was being sarcastic, sorry.  I loved Frank but always figured he was still a little of an unrepentant commie despite his repudiation after '68.

Fred had to be a qunt to get things done.  Met them both during the latter stages of the Wave Hill walkoff.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Thu 23 Apr 2020, 16:42

Frank was very amusing but highly unreliable.
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Thu 23 Apr 2020, 20:36

You should hear Phillip Adams (another ex commie but one who is best enjoyed through his writing rather than up close and personal) on Frank's reliability esp on copy he'd been paid for in advance.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Thu 23 Apr 2020, 21:38

Bradman wrote:You should hear Phillip Adams (another ex commie but one who is best enjoyed through his writing rather than up close and personal) on Frank's reliability esp on copy he'd been paid for in advance.

I have heard Adams on the subject. Frank was fast and loose:

* with money and repaying debts to friends inc people who lent him money they could not afford to do.
* with umpteen affairs - eg he had a fling with the mum of an ex Ms B52 and 20 years later put the hard word on her daughter when she was 16
* with failing to credit the work of many people that did a lot of original research that made his book "Power without Glory".

Have not read an Adams article for decades. They became remarkably repetitive, no surprise as he is really lazy. I used to listen to Late Night Live because he would often have some terrific interesting people on. Eventually I gave up because Adams would talk too much and I was put off by his chummy, cozying up style. The researchers in the production crew did all the heavy lifting, often summarising the books of authors Adams interviewed because PA was too lazy.

Thirty years ago a mate got a job with Adams when he led the ill conceived Commission for the Future. I had a bit to do with him then and later when he facilitated Conferences. The bloke is charming and plausible and a consummate room reader but that is it. He is a pompous, scurrilous and self aggrandising balloon.
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Thu 23 Apr 2020, 22:55

That last sentence would sum him up, yeah.  I used to avoid him like the plague on his annual pilgrimage up north.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Sat 25 Apr 2020, 02:49

Bradman wrote:That last sentence would sum him up, yeah.  I used to avoid him like the plague on his annual pilgrimage up north.

Good call qmy.
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Mon 27 Apr 2020, 09:56

Mike Kelly one of the most honourable men I've ever known may have to resign for health reasons and the big story is the shitfight in the coalition as to who should run.  Not a word on the man's service a day after Anzac Day.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Fri 01 May 2020, 01:26

So we have a by-election in the NSW Fed seat of Eden-Monaro after Mike Kelly had to resign due to shot kidneys.

With a 0.9% margin to the Pinkos at the last Fed Election, I guess the Libs will wheel out ScoMo with hopes of repeating his Election heroics. But you can bet the Pinkos will roll out vision of bogan Pinkos refusing to shake ScoMo's hand during the bushfires.

Also, the blue vote could be diluted with both the Libs and Nats likely to contest the seat. Popular State Deputy and National Party MP John Barilaro (who lives in the electorate) is looking at having a tilt at the Fed seat.

Should be a tight contest.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Fri 01 May 2020, 01:58

Don't hold your breath waiting for a date.  Unless they pull something sneaky with the process.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Fri 01 May 2020, 06:55

skully wrote:So we have a by-election in the NSW Fed seat of Eden-Monaro after Mike Kelly had to resign due to shot kidneys.

With a 0.9% margin to the Pinkos at the last Fed Election, I guess the Libs will wheel out ScoMo with hopes of repeating his Election heroics. But you can bet the Pinkos will roll out vision of bogan Pinkos refusing to shake ScoMo's hand during the bushfires.

Also, the blue vote could be diluted with both the Libs and Nats likely to contest the seat. Popular State Deputy and National Party MP John Barilaro (who lives in the electorate) is looking at having a tilt at the Fed seat.

Should be a tight contest.

Barilaro is popular?   He's Barnaby lite.

And ScoMo is still SmoKo for them.   They'd have a much better chance if Andrew Constance ran - when SmoKo asked "what can I do, do you want me to man the hoses?" he actually was manning the hoses.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Wed 06 May 2020, 07:59

So Constance pulls out of the race for Eden-Monaro (apparently* because the front page of the Tele said Barilaro called him a qunt).

The Nein arvo news reckons Tony Abbott is being canvassed to run in the seat. He's very polarising, so if it comes to pass, it'll be either a genius move or a complete fark up.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Wed 06 May 2020, 08:23

lol@NSW Brownies ... Sky will be in a total lather... bet there will be film of the MM in budgie smugglers and holding a fire hose.
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Wed 06 May 2020, 10:40

Apparently* Abbott quickly rebuffed the NSW hierarchy's overtures.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Wed 06 May 2020, 11:09

And of course only the big bad pinkie run roughshod over local branches. 

I thought yesterday was good television what with narrowolara professing his love for everyone then dumping a bucket of venom on said everyone.  Today was surreal.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Wed 06 May 2020, 11:20

Barilaro isn't coming out of this smelling very nice.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Wed 06 May 2020, 13:01

skully wrote:Barilaro isn't coming out of this smelling very nice.

Aye. Suspect the MM wants to be drafted into a safe seat where he will get local support. I cannot imagine the Tories in Eden Monaro would have been thrilled at getting the dumbarse. Even if H/O imposed him as the candidate the electorate would give the Libs a shellacking.
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Fri 24 Jul 2020, 22:20

I'm interested in Skully's position on Smoko and the Feds handling of expenditure measures. Seems like they pissed $100M alone on the CV App, with Lib Party friends making the dosh.

The App has been entirely useless in tracing community transmission.I guess that is not what it is there for - unless you count security issues.

I think no-one here detests Rudd as much as I do (maybe Lardy). Still Rudd's pump priming saved the Oz economy during the GFC. Scumo has spent squillions and to what affect? Still allowed overseas arrivals. Wants the economy to get going etc.

They are responsible for the aged care system run by their mates. There are now 50 Resi Care facilities in Vic where CV19 has been found. Thousands of residents are locked in their rooms, serviced by hard pressed, undertrained and frightened staff.

While not as bad as the death camp resi care units in England or the US our poor efforts at infection control are heading that way.

My mother who was assessed as eligible for resi care 4 years ago was due to trial respite care in April this year ahead of full time entry. With declining brain plasticity, her impulse controls (never great) particularly her habit of getting in people's faces present a danger to others. In CV19 terms she says she does not want to die from the virus, but does not care whatsoever about her potential to be a Typhoid Mary.

She would not be alone and there must be 10s of thousands of oldies in the same boat.

Of course she is still at home receiving my dubious version of 24/7 care and reverse parenting with some help from community care. My family is unable to help. They work in the health and education sectors.

Over 20 years ago I did some workforce need and training projections for staff to service the 85+ aged population. At the time I persuaded the Qld Govt to advocate some national reforms in the area. Along with others I also did some work on the economics of aged community and resi care.

Ultimately the national reforms were achieved in the most half arsed way imaginable. The Libs and Labs both bear culpability, though it is the Libs that have ensured their mates make a big quid out of it.

**End of rant**
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 32 of 37 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 37  Next