Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...)

5 posters

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

"Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...) - Page 6 Empty Re: "Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...)

Post by PeterCS Fri 24 Apr 2020, 18:06

skully wrote:
PeterCS wrote:S4) Who are these apparently proud owners of a private motorised vehicle?

"Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...) - Page 6 B03_q010
Spoiler:

Feedback on Skully's answers to S4):
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

"Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...) - Page 6 Empty Re: "Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...)

Post by PeterCS Fri 24 Apr 2020, 18:11

skully wrote:
PeterCS wrote:S5)

a) Who's this cat batting (until he was caught) in a cool hat? (4th Test)
b) Who's taking the blinding catch? (btw: Not the giant celebrating that acrobatic feat on his back!)
c) And the bowler?

"Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...) - Page 6 B04_q010
Spoiler:

Feedback on Skully's answers to S5):
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Fri 24 Apr 2020, 18:16

skully wrote:
PeterCS wrote:S6) So reader, how well have you been taking note?

a) Who, for once, is shelling this (admittedly not easy) chance at slip?
b) Who's the imposing veteran with the bat, getting off lightly?

"Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...) - Page 6 B05_q010

Spoiler:

Feedback on Skully's answers to S6):
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Fri 24 Apr 2020, 18:20

skully wrote:
PeterCS wrote:S7) Who was appointed captain of the defeated team for the return series?

Spoiler:

Feedback on Skully's answer to S7):
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Fri 24 Apr 2020, 18:24

skully wrote:
PeterCS wrote:S8)

a) Who's this cheeky chap relaxing on the ship en route to the return series?

Oh, and:

b) What's the name of the ship?

"Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...) - Page 6 B07_q010

Spoiler:

Feedback on Skully's answer to S8):
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Fri 24 Apr 2020, 18:26

skully wrote:
PeterCS wrote:S9) The victorious team in this series would award two new Test caps in the return series (played very soon after it - this team pic is from that series).

Can you locate those two debutants in the picture, and name them?

"Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...) - Page 6 B08_q010

Spoiler:

Feedback on Skully's answer to S9):
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Fri 24 Apr 2020, 18:38

skully wrote:
PeterCS wrote:S10) Again: by this stage (if you didn't know them already ...), you should be familiar with some of the names and faces.

a) How many of these hopeful but already jaded-looking travellers can you name?
b) Between which cities is the train (seen in the background) stopping off for a break ... & a photo?

"Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...) - Page 6 B09_q110
Spoiler:

Feedback on Skully's answer to S10):
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Fri 24 Apr 2020, 18:41

PeterCS wrote:"Thanks for playing!"

A typical gesture from an extraordinary individual. (This one's not a question, just for amusement.)

"Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...) - Page 6 B1110

Just to say ...):
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Fri 24 Apr 2020, 18:57

I'm too tired to do a more comprehensive job of "hauling up all the images again" summary at this stage.

So here's a quick summary of what's still to be nailed.

Please check the "inventory of still open answers" from the main part of the quiz, = QQ 1-22. It starts about a third the way down page 5, and ending about 3/4 of the way down the same page

Note: JGK has now also answered Q14 and Q13 a) - however, Q13 b) remains open for guesses or more researched answers. Check my feedbacks for any hints or clues.

Outstanding items from the "S)" section:

S4) (half of this): Who's the guy on the right?

S5a) - a definitive ID of the batsman in the trilby? Wink

S6)b - Batsman ID?

S8)a - Who is this?

S9) - one location still needed - in the team photo - of one of the (correctly named) two new caps in summer 1921, namely (no easy way to Spoiler this): Tommy Andrews.

S10) - Two player IDs: the two standing top left & bottom right of the part-team photo.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Sat 25 Apr 2020, 10:51

PeterCS wrote:So, let's see. I'll field:

i) Mr K's two new answers,
then if time allows:
ii) Skullly's answers to the "S" questions (1-10),
and - when even more time allows -
iii) do a quick (but full) summary of outstanding items, from both the main quiz (1-22) and the "S" questions.

JGK wrote:
PeterCS wrote:13) In the 2nd Test of the series:

a) Who's the batsman living up to his nickname here?
b) Which normally safe pair of hands is in this instance the "oaf" at 3rd slip?

"Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...) - Page 6 14_q1311

Spoiler:

Feedback on JGK's answers to Q13:

Spoiler:

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Sat 25 Apr 2020, 14:15

Yes indeed. One of those two reasons I mentioned.

Also regarded as a generally fine catcher, a "safe pair of hands". The other reason.

Not sure what Howell thought at that moment ... but I can guess.

........................................................................................

So, quick update: Q 13 is now also fully answered.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Mon 27 Apr 2020, 00:36

Your knowledge of the look and stance of both English and Australian players of that era is far superior to mine, Peter.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105969
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Mon 27 Apr 2020, 17:12

Maybe it's simply that I've looked at and compared the faces & photos to an extent that I find it much easier to "pick them off".

I don't think it's all that impossible - even with the poor quality of a handful of the images - if you follow the visual clues as I mentioned, and check individuals against the team photos.

However, the above is not an argument, or a plea or polemic, or anything much at all but a perspective.

It seems this quiz is just about played out....

So I'll set up an "Answers" thread sometime this week. (I mentioned above that a separate thread - with solutions integrated and in sequence - might be neater than the piecemeal, sometimes two-or three-phase answers on this thread. And a separate thread allows a bit more info, images & sidelights.)
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Tue 28 Apr 2020, 10:05

not answering, but enjoying the pics and commentary, thanks P

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
116 - 9 - 400 - 4

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38112
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Tue 28 Apr 2020, 11:29

Ditto.  Been too in and out to get into it as much as I would have liked.
Bradman
Bradman

Number of posts : 17402
Registration date : 2008-08-13
Flag/Background : war

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Tue 28 Apr 2020, 14:08

Cracker of a quiz. Hooked me good.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105969

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6