Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

David Warner - what do we make of his career?

+3
Red
Fred Nerk
skully
7 posters

Go down

David Warner - what do we make of his career? Empty David Warner - what do we make of his career?

Post by skully Sat 06 Jan 2024, 03:02

He burst onto the international scene by smashing Dale Steyn to all parts at the SCG in a One Dayer (actually his 2nd game). He made an undefeated 100 in just his 2nd Test on a greentop at Bellerive to almost get Aus to vistory as his teammates fell around him.

There is no doubt that his numbers tell of a great career. 8786 runs at 44.59 with 26 100s HS 335*.

He was brutal on bowlers for the 1st 75% of his career, particularly in Australia.

It was later in his career that he began to tarnish what would've been an even greater legacy. He was the ring leader of the infamous sandpapergate affair in South Africa, something that many will never forgive him for. His away batting form also slumped alarmingly, particularly in England against Stuart Broad.

As I said, beyond emotion, his raw numbers will confirm his greatness. But many of us have been left with a bad taste in the mouth by some of his later deeds.

Harsh or fair? Thoughts?
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105919
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

David Warner - what do we make of his career? Empty Re: David Warner - what do we make of his career?

Post by Fred Nerk Sat 06 Jan 2024, 06:03

I fluctuated. He was a marvellously talented player with equal talent for running people the wrong way 'Sandpaper' would have been a good nickname for him even if Capetown had never happened, given his abrasive character and the fact that he always sounded like he'd choked on a tennis ball sized lump of the stuff
In the crowd watching him, I loved his batting style even if his ego carried him away sometimes, but I never took to him as a bloke based on what I saw and thought I knew. But when the SBM clownage got really stuck into him I often was motivated to stir things up.
As an opening bat he'd be a contender for the ATG thirds.

Fred Nerk

Number of posts : 8808
Registration date : 2007-10-15
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

David Warner - what do we make of his career? Empty Re: David Warner - what do we make of his career?

Post by Red Sat 06 Jan 2024, 07:21

Skully IIRC Warner's debut was in a T20, not an ODI but the biggest part of the narrative was that he hadn't even played SS if I also RC. I have never taken to the abrasive side of his character alluded to by Fred Nerk. One might admire him for not being the cookie cutter cricketer that increasingly many seem to be, but his showy ego was irritating. For example was at the 'G when he was caught on 99 but it was one of those no balls by dint of a toe nail creeping over the line. A couple of balls later when he reached the ton he carried on with his trademark celebration which felt a big cringeworthy in the circumstances. He has always seemed sans a decent dose of humility. He didn't appear to be that contrite regarding the sandpaper affair and there is something meretricious about the so-called expiation for his illegal behaviour. Some may buy the atonement angle but he hasn't really changed that much seemingly aided and abetted by Candice who has unstintingly defended him when silence might have indeed been golden.

On the cricketing side of things, his legacy may anoint him as a seminal opener for Australia with his approach and he's been pretty consistent for somebody whose footwork is often economical, albeit his dominance has largely been on our shores. The ton in Tassie in malign conditions was the exception in some ways because he also took full toll of flat decks, even for instance in Sydney on the first morning of a test match against Pakistan when he made a ton before lunch in conditions which were astonishingly favourable for the initial session of a match. Nonetheless, his combative bat, not unlike his personality, has often been the impetus for swift Aussie starts and he was a dynamo in the field to add to his bombastic style of batting in all formats. Will probably be always remembered as a polarising figure but few will ever have his nuanced career.
t
Red
Red

Number of posts : 17071
Registration date : 2007-10-28

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Sat 06 Jan 2024, 07:48

A T20 is still a One Dayer. I specifically worded it so because I couldn't remember which format he began in.
skully
skully

Red likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Sat 06 Jan 2024, 10:14

Decent results at home, record tarnished not only by his personal style but also by persistent failings in England. I never took to his stunts and appeals through a supportive Dubber media for support and further chances when things weren’t going well … it smacked of entitlement. Apparently he gets on well with LJH which I’d have thought distressing for many on this forum.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
116 - 9 - 400 - 4

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38084
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by furriner Sat 06 Jan 2024, 17:23

I dunno what does horrie think?
furriner
furriner

Number of posts : 12507
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Sat 06 Jan 2024, 23:44

ARTICLE

‘the ultimate FTB’

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
116 - 9 - 400 - 4

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38084
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Nath Sun 07 Jan 2024, 03:08

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/bbl-2023-24-david-warner-hopes-to-helicopter-in-for-the-sydney-thunder-clash-against-sydney-sixers-1415817

seriously?! enjoy your brother's wedding and tell the BBL to GAGF.
Nath
Nath

Number of posts : 11964
Registration date : 2007-09-04

skully likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Sun 07 Jan 2024, 03:42

He is the classical FTB. The gap between performances and average here and overseas is telling.

In umpteen tours of India and England he failed to make a Test ton and only rare contributions. His first tour of England was not helped by bashing Jo Root in a bar.

He’d make opener with Hayden in an all time great Oz FTB xi.

Have never met the bloke and nor do I wish to. He just seems a personality disordered person with a propensity for violence. He and his equally narcissistic partner could not spell words such as grace and humility.

In form and at home he was fun to watch at times.

Personally I am delighted I will never have to watch him bat again as I don’t follow white ball cricket. I will never hear his whiney voice in the media given I generally watch cricket with the sound muted.
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ire

lardbucket and Red like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Sun 07 Jan 2024, 10:05

Not quite sure on what sentiment you are espousing there, h. Very Happy Cool
skully
skully

horace likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down