Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is this the best domestic team of all?

+18
Lara Lara Laughs
PearlJ
Basil
apres dix ans
skully
Brass Monkey
JKLever
WideWally
doremi
horace
Nath
taipan
embee
lardbucket
peterg
JGK
tac
Paul Keating
22 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Is this the best domestic team of all? Empty Is this the best domestic team of all?

Post by Paul Keating Fri 04 Apr 2008, 03:09

In today's Telegraph is a list of NSW Hall of Famers. Eligibility is based on when making your debut it must have been for NSW.

Morris
Simpson
Bradman
Trumper
Macartney
S Waugh
Murdoch (WK)
Benaud
Davidson
Lindwall
Turner
O'Reilly

I'm not sure who 12th man is though.
Paul Keating
Paul Keating

Is this the best domestic team of all? Svlx7uN

Number of posts : 4663
Registration date : 2007-10-25
Flag/Background : wi

Back to top Go down

Is this the best domestic team of all? Empty Re: Is this the best domestic team of all?

Post by tac Fri 04 Apr 2008, 03:13

Gilly and Pidge will make that team eventually . . .
tac
tac

Number of posts : 19270
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : pon

Back to top Go down

Is this the best domestic team of all? Empty Re: Is this the best domestic team of all?

Post by JGK Fri 04 Apr 2008, 03:28

Barbados would have a decent team.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Keating Fri 04 Apr 2008, 03:39

In past discussions who did we decide on for the keeper of NSW?
Paul Keating
Paul Keating

Back to top Go down

Post by peterg Fri 04 Apr 2008, 05:22

I think most of us went for Oldfield.

peterg

Number of posts : 377
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Fri 04 Apr 2008, 05:24

eah, peterg, I think he was the one . . .
tac
tac

Number of posts : 19270
Flag/Background : pon

Back to top Go down

Post by peterg Fri 04 Apr 2008, 05:32

I'd reckon it's an awfully strong side that can leave out McGrath, or else a badly chosen one.

I'm also disappointed McCabe did not make it, but competition is immense - Border also misses out, and Sid Barnes.

The candidates for 12th man would appear to be Steve Waugh or Macartney among batsmen, or Benaud or Turner from the bowlers. It would depend on the desired balance, but five of these batsmen should be adequate even if we reinstate Oldfield. If Benaud drops out, O'Reilly's spin could be complemented by Macartney or Simpson, if needed.

peterg

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Keating Fri 04 Apr 2008, 05:38

Peter

Is Oldfield better than Billy?
Paul Keating
Paul Keating

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Fri 04 Apr 2008, 05:40

In addition to Barbados (already mentioned), Yorkshire and Surrey would have strong teams.

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38123
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by peterg Fri 04 Apr 2008, 05:47

I had thought Murdoch was primarily a batsman, and one of the best of the 19th Century.

I've come up with a Second Twelve for NSW, scraping the barrel only with the support pace bowler to McGrath.

Barnes, Bardsley, McCabe, Border, O'Neill or Kippax, Walters, Noble, Oldfield or Gilchrist, Hordern, Lawson, McGrath, Mailey.

peterg

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Fri 04 Apr 2008, 06:12

How about Jeff Thomson over Lawson?

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by peterg Fri 04 Apr 2008, 06:25

Thanks lardy,

How could I forget him? Improves the side no end.

peterg

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Fri 04 Apr 2008, 06:27

Where's Nashy?
embee
embee

Number of posts : 26217
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Fri 04 Apr 2008, 06:30

embee wrote:Where's Nashy?

In the 8ths, with MacGill

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by peterg Fri 04 Apr 2008, 06:47

You could make a pretty useful team out of NSW players who left the state for some or most of their careers.

It would include Bradman, Border, Simpson, Gilchrist, Lindwall, Thomson, possibly Bevan. You could probably fill the side with expatriates like Bill Alley who flocked to English league and county cricket after NSW

Notable NSW imports seem fewer - Harvey, Miller and...?

peterg

Back to top Go down

Post by peterg Fri 04 Apr 2008, 06:49

At any rate, the historic strength of NSW cricket should be clear even to those who beat the tiresome drum of NSW selectorial dominance.

Probably no other two Australian states combined could hope to match NSW on thie criterion adopted.

peterg

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Fri 04 Apr 2008, 06:51

peterg wrote:You could make a pretty useful team out of NSW players who left the state for some or most of their careers.

It would include Bradman, Border, Simpson, Gilchrist, Lindwall, Thomson, possibly Bevan. You could probably fill the side with expatriates like Bill Alley who flocked to English league and county cricket after NSW

Notable NSW imports seem fewer - Harvey, Miller and...?

Katich, Imran ...

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Fri 04 Apr 2008, 06:53

peterg wrote:At any rate, the historic strength of NSW cricket should be clear even to those who beat the tiresome drum of NSW selectorial dominance.

Probably no other two Australian states combined could hope to match NSW on thie criterion adopted.

Barring the brilliance of Bradman, which is sufficient on its own to make your statement true, I think WA and Vic combined could have a side to match NSW.

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by peterg Fri 04 Apr 2008, 06:54

Katich doesn't seem in the class of Miller or Harvey, unless he now begins a spectacular twilight in Test cricket [he's already 32]

Imran's in a different category, in every sense.

peterg

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Fri 04 Apr 2008, 07:00

I also think we could get the suckiest Australian Test side that ever sucked out of sucky NSW caps ... suckier than any combination from any other two State sides.

Bruce Francis, John Watkins, Dave Renneberg ... for starters

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Fri 04 Apr 2008, 07:00

The best domestic team of one time is undoubtedly the Transvaal Mean machine of the early 80's
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by peterg Fri 04 Apr 2008, 07:04

Watkins won a Test with the bat, even if he couldn't pitch his leggies on the cut portion.

Agree about Francis. Renneberg was in a dire period.

What about your combined Vic/WA side?

Presumably Lillee, Miller Warne, Ponsford, Harvey....? Rod Marsh? Bill Lawry?

peterg

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Fri 04 Apr 2008, 07:06

That second team is barely weaker than the first (other than Bradman).

Bevan doesn't count for the "who you first played for team" anyway.

FWIW - McGrath would be my second bowler picked after Tiger and Oldfield has to be the keeper.

Murdoch was more a batsman-keeper from what I have read. The great keeper of the time was Blackham.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Fri 04 Apr 2008, 07:13

I'm old enough to have seen all those players in action, Peter, and I remember the Watkins/Massie stand (both in their last Test as it turned out) just like it was yesterday (and Walker's follow-up performance). I was in WA at the time, on holiday, and I remember the back page of the WA paper had (on the last day of the game) a photo of the Pakistani players toasting their impending victory, allegedly with milk. The next day's headline predictably had something like 'Panikstan' in it ...

Francis infuriated the hell out of me. He shouldn't have been in the team in 1971-2 v ROW, and God knows how he got chosen for the 1972 tour. Bradman was still punishing Lawry for his stance on player payments a year earlier, and Ashley Woodcock also missed a boat he could have caught, and perhaps done well. Francis was a crab and a liability in the field (famously trod on his own hand while picking a ball up). On the 1972 tour he made runs v the Universities, just before the first Test, but virtually no other runs all tour. He was virtually never seen again after 1972, even at state level.

I'll get back to you on the best WA Vic combination, but you've named most of the obvious suspects already ...

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Fri 04 Apr 2008, 07:17

taipan wrote:The best domestic team of one time is undoubtedly the Transvaal Mean machine of the early 80's

Maybe, but would an all-time Transvaal team compete with an all-time NSW, Barbados, or Yorkshire team?

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next