Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why Do People Like Twenty20?

+18
Batman
Red
biff harde
freddled gruntbuggly
*Buckaroo*
Brass Monkey
Hass
Henry
Mick Sawyer
tac
lardbucket
JGK
filosofee
Geoffrey Trueman
JKLever
Basil
doctorspin
Chivalry Augustus
22 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Why Do People Like Twenty20? Empty Why Do People Like Twenty20?

Post by Chivalry Augustus Sat 19 Apr 2008, 20:30

Serious question. I've been to a few Twenty20 games and I'd describe them as alright - it's cricket, at the end of the day. However, I can't remember anything about them any more; there's nothing ingrained in my mind that will stay there forever. There were no memorable innings, just a whole lot of guys slogging. There was probably an ingenious shot among the slog and giggle nonsense, admittedly, but the fact that I can't remember it renders it insignificant. More than anything though, the thing that I do actually remember is the bowling: five machines hoping that someone mis-times a shot so that they can 'fluke' a wicket.

Personally, I like to see my bowlers working away and eventually getting the wickets their bowling deserves. Seeing good bowlers get slapped simply because the batsman have nothing at stake isn't fun at all. So why do people like Twenty20? Yes, I can understand that it's condensed nature appeals, as do the full grounds, but where's the technique? People say it can rival football, rugby, but football and rugby are so quick that technique is explored by the minute. Football and Rugby are active sports, whilst cricket is inactive. Any expectation of cricket to meet similar criteria to football is simply ridiculous - it cannot happen.

Personally, I want to see a guy work hard, have his technique examined over the course of 150 balls, and see his recklessness either rewarded or punished dependent on how he applies it. Seeing batsman-friendly conditions throughout just ain't fun - I don't want to see a guy bashing the ball 50 yards to the boundary on a flat pitch off an average bowler to be told he's "beastly"! Beastly is thrashing the ball 150 yards with six men on the boundary when the ball's swinging!

Last edited by Augustus on Sat 19 Apr 2008, 22:10; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : To make the post more readable, with respect to the flow, grammar and word selection.)
Chivalry Augustus
Chivalry Augustus

Why Do People Like Twenty20? Svlx7uN

Number of posts : 4864
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Why Do People Like Twenty20? Empty Re: Why Do People Like Twenty20?

Post by doctorspin Sat 19 Apr 2008, 20:58

That is a very fair summary and assessment of twenytweny and its shortcomings.

Why do people like it?........Well, in addition to cricket fans, it attracts a slightly different audience who feel at home with a contained, boundaried "game" more within the time constraints of football/rugby or perhaps more accurately tennis; the latter of which does not have a strict time limit but generally finishes within a 2-3 hours.

I think that most of the die-hard cricket fans who appreciate the complexity, depth and layers of the longer game (4 or 5 day cricket) share all the reservations you have outlined, but also appreciate good strokeplay in a way that is different to those who just like seeing the ball race to boundary. We are also likely to appreciate even more a bowler who can restrict the batsmen or even bowl a maiden which would send shivers down the spine of TV producers and sponsors.

Who knows where it will lead the world of cricket. Before it was picked up by the big money men, I was hopeful that the immediacy and accessability of twenytweny would bring in a new cohort of fans to real cricket who may have been lost with the loss of terrestial TV. Now, I don't know.
doctorspin
doctorspin

Why Do People Like Twenty20? 7EoDRAk

Number of posts : 2746
Registration date : 2007-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Sat 19 Apr 2008, 21:06

doctorspin wrote:
Who knows where it will lead the world of cricket. Before it was picked up by the big money men, I was hopeful that the immediacy and accessability of twenytweny would bring in a new cohort of fans to real cricket who may have been lost with the loss of terrestial TV. Now, I don't know.

I still think some of the new fans will gravitate to the longer format - and, just as significantly, there will still be young kids tempted to play the game.

A major point of interest for me will be the next TV rights negotiations. If the ECB has any nous at all it will sell off the rights to 20/20 separately - it could make a killing with that alone, especially if an English Premier League is in the offing.
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by doctorspin Sat 19 Apr 2008, 21:30

Basil wrote:
doctorspin wrote:

I still think some of the new fans will gravitate to the longer format - and, just as significantly, there will still be young kids tempted to play the game.

A major point of interest for me will be the next TV rights negotiations. If the ECB has any nous at all it will sell off the rights to 20/20 separately - it could make a killing with that alone, especially if an English Premier League is in the offing.
I sincerely hope that new young fans will learn to appreciate the depth of the longer game. I think that these days, the way in which Cricket as a whole is "marketed" will have a big influence on that.

Good idea about selling off the rights to T20 separately. It's even short enough for the terrestial channels!....unless there is horse racing on
doctorspin
doctorspin

Why Do People Like Twenty20? 7EoDRAk

Number of posts : 2746

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Sat 19 Apr 2008, 21:37

doctorspin wrote:
Basil wrote:
doctorspin wrote:

I sincerely hope that new young fans will learn to appreciate the depth of the longer game. I think that these days, the way in which Cricket as a whole is "marketed" will have a big influence on that.

Good idea about selling off the rights to T20 separately. It's even short enough for the terrestial channels!....unless there is horse racing on

5.30 to 8.30: it would fit snugly in BBC2's schedule
Basil
Basil

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Sat 19 Apr 2008, 21:39

But theres no way the terrestrial channels can pay crazy cash for the rights.

It would be Sky or Setanta.

As for Augustus points, totally agree - its not my favourite type of cricket but if i'm free and its on i'll watch it.

Anything which gets a new audience to the game whilst coverage is off terrestrial tv is a good thing. It won't overtake test cricket in this country i'm sure.

I can see it overtaking ODI's however
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Sat 19 Apr 2008, 21:41

JKLever wrote:But theres no way the terrestrial channels can pay crazy cash for the rights.

It would be Sky or Setanta.

As for Augustus points, totally agree - its not my favourite type of cricket but if i'm free and its on i'll watch it.

Anything which gets a new audience to the game whilst coverage is off terrestrial tv is a good thing. It won't overtake test cricket in this country i'm sure.

I can see it overtaking ODI's however

You never know JK: who would have thought that F1 would have ended up back on the BBC
Basil
Basil

Back to top Go down

Post by Geoffrey Trueman Sat 19 Apr 2008, 21:47

doctorspin wrote:Why do people like it?........Well, in addition to cricket fans, it attracts a slightly different audience

In my case that means my young son, who, while playing the game and being interested lacks the patience to watch the game in it's longer format. Purists might hate it but for cricket lovers with children it's the perfect way to involve the family and introduce kids to the game.
Geoffrey Trueman
Geoffrey Trueman

Number of posts : 979

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Sat 19 Apr 2008, 21:48

Geoffrey Trueman wrote:
doctorspin wrote:Why do people like it?........Well, in addition to cricket fans, it attracts a slightly different audience

In my case that means my young son, who, while playing the game and being interested lacks the patience to watch the game in it's longer format. Purists might hate it but for cricket lovers with children it's the perfect way to involve the family and introduce kids to the game.

Word.
Basil
Basil

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Sat 19 Apr 2008, 21:57

Basil wrote:
You never know JK: who would have thought that F1 would have ended up back on the BBC

True enough...
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by filosofee Sun 20 Apr 2008, 00:22

Twenty20, because it's over in a few hours, is good fun time out.

You watch it specifically for the batsman's slog, while you appreciate Test cricket for the technical battle between batsmen and bowlers.

There's room for all classes of cricket and all types of fans.

Last edited by filosofee on Sun 20 Apr 2008, 00:22; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added an 's'!)
filosofee
filosofee

Number of posts : 1712
Registration date : 2007-09-07

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Sun 20 Apr 2008, 00:53

It's a bit like watching Tiger Woods at the driving range rather than than spending 5 hours following him over 18 holes.

For me, the only real benefit is that it is a neat intro for 4-7 year olds to become cricket fans.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Sun 20 Apr 2008, 01:14

JGK wrote:It's a bit like watching Tiger Woods at the driving range rather than than spending 5 hours following him over 18 holes.

For me, the only real benefit is that it is a neat intro for 4-7 year olds to become cricket fans.

Sage. It satisfies those with a very short attention span, a subset of whom fortunately will grow up and graduate to the real thing. Basically it's cricket dumbed down for children and Americans.

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38075
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Sun 20 Apr 2008, 01:56

lardbucket wrote:
JGK wrote:It's a bit like watching Tiger Woods at the driving range rather than than spending 5 hours following him over 18 holes.

Sage. It satisfies those with a very short attention span, a subset of whom fortunately will grow up and graduate to the real thing. Basically it's cricket dumbed down for children, subis and Americans.
tac
tac

Number of posts : 19270
Flag/Background : pon

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Sun 20 Apr 2008, 01:58

I think i'll borrow that quote. Spot on...
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Sun 20 Apr 2008, 02:00

A mischievous correction, tac ... not entirely unexpected.

Perhaps it's just one Indian thriller after another?

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Sun 20 Apr 2008, 02:04

lardbucket wrote:A mischievous correction, tac ... not entirely unexpected.

Perhaps it's just one Indian thriller after another?

unexpected or not . . . look who has jumped on the T20 bandwagon . . .

I always thought the key to success in entertainment is to leave them wanting more? I can't see 44 days of T20 doing that . . . I was bored with it before the first game.

Last edited by tac on Sun 20 Apr 2008, 02:05; edited 1 time in total
tac
tac

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Sun 20 Apr 2008, 02:05

Who has?

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Sun 20 Apr 2008, 02:06

lardbucket wrote:Who has?
See my previous post . . .
tac
tac

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Sun 20 Apr 2008, 02:07

Still not sure what you mean ... I don't know anyone who's interested.

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Sun 20 Apr 2008, 02:08

lardbucket wrote:Still not sure what you mean ... I don't know anyone who's interested.

There seems to be quite a few in India who have jumped on the bandwagon . . . hence my "not unexpected" but quite accurate correction . . . FFS, lardy, you on turps last night?
tac
tac

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Sun 20 Apr 2008, 02:09

only until 3

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Sun 20 Apr 2008, 02:10

lardbucket wrote:only until 3
Well, you're probably feeling better than me at tyhe moment . . . No
tac
tac

Back to top Go down

Post by Geoffrey Trueman Sun 20 Apr 2008, 03:01

lardbucket wrote:

Sage. It satisfies those with a very short attention span, a subset of whom fortunately will grow up and graduate to the real thing. Basically it's cricket dumbed down for children and Americans.

Really? I've watched and enjoyed drawn CC games from start to finish and been shivering like a shiteing dog throughout because of the carp weather, it hasn't stopped me from enjoying 20/20 slog fests.

Open your eyes man and embrace 20/20 for what it is, no proper cricket lover will think less of you for it.
Geoffrey Trueman
Geoffrey Trueman

Number of posts : 979

Back to top Go down

Post by Mick Sawyer Sun 20 Apr 2008, 08:40

Why Do People Like Twenty20?

I like burgers, I like lobster. I like T20 & & like Test cricket. It's just that nothing that's called 50 over cricket that upsets my stomach.
Mick Sawyer
Mick Sawyer

Number of posts : 7267
Registration date : 2007-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next