Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why Do People Like Twenty20?

+18
Batman
Red
biff harde
freddled gruntbuggly
*Buckaroo*
Brass Monkey
Hass
Henry
Mick Sawyer
tac
lardbucket
JGK
filosofee
Geoffrey Trueman
JKLever
Basil
doctorspin
Chivalry Augustus
22 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Why Do People Like Twenty20? - Page 3 Empty Re: Why Do People Like Twenty20?

Post by biff harde Sun 20 Apr 2008, 12:39

lardbucket wrote:
biff harde wrote:
lardbucket wrote:
freddled gruntbuggly wrote:Gold pads and helmets, cheerleaders, singers, fireworks . . . FFS, if this is the future of cricket, put me in a time machine and send me back to 1989.

Even 1985 would be preferable.

What about 1981?

Yes, and (before you ask) even 1978-9. Good to 'see' you here.
aye-aye

biff harde

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by freddled gruntbuggly Sun 20 Apr 2008, 12:48

No, Mudgiekins, I was bored by the first games I saw and I'm still bored.
And still concerned about the detrimental effect it may have on the longer forms of the game. Sure, it may spread a little loving kindness between the players of different nations and thus (perhaps) reduce the niggles during International matches, but I can't see any other possible positives. For all the talk of attracting a different market and getting the younger people interested, I would have thought that if they were able to appreciate Test cricket at all they wouldn't need the 'bait' of all the T20 razzamatazz to get them started.
freddled gruntbuggly
freddled gruntbuggly

Why Do People Like Twenty20? - Page 3 7EoDRAk

Number of posts : 2959

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Sun 20 Apr 2008, 12:59

The one format I can see getting squeezed by the advent of 20/20 is the 50 over a side game, and I for one would not mind fewer ODIs in that format.
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Sun 20 Apr 2008, 13:04

Keep the WC and maybe have a couple of 50 over ODIs attached to every Test series, but otherwise ... aye, there's been far too many meaningless non-memorable 50 over games too.

Perhaps 20-20s could be played immediately following Test matches when those Tests end early? It would mean that a 4th day Test gate, when the match is a foregone conclusion, would be higher ... and it would not interfere with scheduling.

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38119
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by *Buckaroo* Sun 20 Apr 2008, 13:59

Henry wrote:Could it be that some people are getting so dirty with T20 because it's become so popular worldwide? I seem to remember most cricket fans thinking it was 'great fun' when it was just confined to the domestic seasons of the test nations. Now it's the root of all cricket evil....

Amazing what a lot of $$$ in the hands of the Indians can do to change peoples views.

All this bitching about T20 is just the result of plain ole jealousy.

Finally it is incredible of the postor who claimed that the first three matches were boring.
*Buckaroo*
*Buckaroo*

Number of posts : 4771
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : wi

http://exc4cricket.forum-motion.com/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Sun 20 Apr 2008, 14:24

*Buckaroo* wrote:
Henry wrote:Could it be that some people are getting so dirty with T20 because it's become so popular worldwide? I seem to remember most cricket fans thinking it was 'great fun' when it was just confined to the domestic seasons of the test nations. Now it's the root of all cricket evil....

Amazing what a lot of $$$ in the hands of the Indians can do to change peoples views.

All this bitching about T20 is just the result of plain ole jealousy.

Finally it is incredible of the postor who claimed that the first three matches were boring.

bullshizzle. A lot of these questions have been asked ever since T20 started in England...
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by *Buckaroo* Sun 20 Apr 2008, 14:27

IPL has for the first time forced me to watch three full league T20s in my life. The experience would be similar for many others. The games are competitive and extremely exciting as well.

the format is growing on the viewers with each match. This is going to be a runaway success.

All I can see is whining and whinging from certain aus and English postors who would whine and whinge over anything Subi anyway.
*Buckaroo*
*Buckaroo*

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Sun 20 Apr 2008, 14:33

*Buckaroo* wrote:IPL has for the first time forced me to watch three full league T20s in my life. The experience would be similar for many others. The games are competitive and extremely exciting as well.

the format is growing on the viewers with each match. This is going to be a runaway success.

All I can see is whining and whinging from certain aus and English postors who would whine and whinge over anything Subi anyway.

They chained you to your chair and sellotaped your eyes open then?
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936

Back to top Go down

Post by *Buckaroo* Sun 20 Apr 2008, 14:37

It was actually exciting. Watching Brett Lee vs Hayden.

Ishant Sharma vs VVS Laxman

Munaf vs Gambhir/Sehwag

I never saw these before.

Just watching TGM on the field was nostalgic.

And I will watch this again & again & again
*Buckaroo*
*Buckaroo*

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Sun 20 Apr 2008, 15:21

*Buckaroo* wrote: over anything Subi anyway.

Since when was T20 cricket 'subi' you farkwit?

Last edited by JKLever on Sun 20 Apr 2008, 15:25; edited 1 time in total
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Sun 20 Apr 2008, 15:22

Last edited by JKLever on Sun 20 Apr 2008, 15:23; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : double post)
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by Batman Sun 20 Apr 2008, 15:39

Why do people like T20?

It's been 3 days since the IPL madness started and I haven't found the inclination to watch them. I watched a bit of the Chennai-Mohali game last night. All I could see was 4s and 6s flying all round on a road of a pitch and bowlers getting screwed with nothing in it for the bowlers. I feel sorry for the bowlers whose role in this so called format of 'Cricket' is that of being a glorified bowling machine to give the batters some net practice. Thats how the bowlers end up looking like.

There was nothing cricket in what I saw from the bit I watched and frankly I neither found it exciting nor could care a damn.

Yeah Yuvraj's 6 sixes will happen once in a while but in the end people will remember Kapil's four in a row 6s to help India avoid follow on or Dimitri's six 6s against India off Yuvi's bowling more I suppose.

I am already beginning to hate this run and BCCI may well find this T20 fixation and IPL too damaging in the long run. It's best players among youngsters are more T20 players than proper test players and this kind of matches will finish whatever technique they still possess. People will be croppers soon in real cricket 2 months down the line and such unofficial tourneys that don't fall in ICC records and don't have ICC anti-corruption monitoring means that the bookies will find a foothold once again within players dressing rooms. With no national passion involved and only money being the criteria, corporate rigging will be not so immoral and easy to achieve. Bookies will have a field day and soon legal matches will feel the threat in a big way in the years to come.

Last edited by Batman on Sun 20 Apr 2008, 15:52; edited 1 time in total
Batman
Batman

Number of posts : 8881
Registration date : 2007-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Batman Sun 20 Apr 2008, 15:44

In the end are all test countries going to have their own Premier Leagues of the the mighty T20s? Imagine the next FTP after the 2011 WC having only tourneys like EPL [English Premier League], SAPL [South African Premier League], SLPL [Sri Lankan Premier League], PPL [Pakistan Premier League], APL [Australian Premier League], WIPL [West Indies Premier League], NZPL [New Zealand Premier League] etc.?????

I believe an American Billionaire Corporate honcho is all set to start his own T20 tournament in WI.

Seriously is this where cricket is headed? What next?

An annual T20-Baseball head off with the Yankies?
Batman
Batman

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Sun 20 Apr 2008, 15:51

TBH, I've checked the scorecards to see how the Aussies went . . . that's it. It's all just piss and wind . . .
tac
tac

Number of posts : 19270
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : pon

Back to top Go down

Post by *Buckaroo* Sun 20 Apr 2008, 15:58

IPL draws first blood.
*Buckaroo*
*Buckaroo*

Back to top Go down

Post by Batman Sun 20 Apr 2008, 16:32

*Buckaroo* wrote:IPL draws first blood.

All I can see is Cricket bleeding all over.
Batman
Batman

Back to top Go down

Post by *Buckaroo* Sun 20 Apr 2008, 16:35

Batman wrote:
*Buckaroo* wrote:IPL draws first blood.

All I can see is Cricket bleeding all over.

You need to see the cup half-full rather than half-empty.

the aus/Eng whining is only because they are not making the money. Really no need for Indians to aid in their psy-ops.
*Buckaroo*
*Buckaroo*

Back to top Go down

Post by Chivalry Augustus Sun 20 Apr 2008, 16:52

I've never whinged about anything subi in my life, so that's just nonsense. What has the money got to do with me anyway? All I see is a load of Indian businessmen going overkill with $$$ signs in their eyes. They don't care about cricket. They're saturating the market with an interesting, but hardly innovative, slog-and-giggle that is detrimental not necessarily to the game itself but to the quality of the game. Bowlers are getting nothing out of it, and the batsman are going over-the-top, disestablishing whatever defence technique they had in favour of slogging.

Twenty20 is most likely to damage Indian cricket though; young Indian players are being picked in the side, having money thrown at them before they've worked out their techniques like the foreign international players have. They'll suffer more than anyone else. It would be fitting, really, if that were the case.
Chivalry Augustus
Chivalry Augustus

Why Do People Like Twenty20? - Page 3 Svlx7uN

Number of posts : 4864
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by *Buckaroo* Sun 20 Apr 2008, 17:04

>>a load of Indian businessmen going overkill with $$$ signs in their eyes.

why can't Indian businessmen go for overkill with $$$ signs in their eyes, is this only a prerogative of an anglo massa like Packer ?

I see a trend where Indian businessmen (with $$$ signs or not) are not even being given a chance to prove their worth. Or whether even they are capable enough of descerning whether 'harming the game' is in their longer interest or not. Yet the name of the game is paint them all with the broadest of brushes with the most nefarious of intentions.

As an Indian I find this attitude highly insulting and derogatory towards my countrymen.
*Buckaroo*
*Buckaroo*

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Sun 20 Apr 2008, 17:08

*Buckaroo* wrote:>>a load of Indian businessmen going overkill with $$$ signs in their eyes.

why can't Indian businessmen go for overkill with $$$ signs in their eyes, is this only a prerogative of an anglo massa like Packer ?

I see a trend where Indian businessmen (with $$$ signs or not) are not even being given a chance to prove their worth. Or whether even they are capable enough of descerning whether 'harming the game' is in their longer interest or not. Yet the name of the game is paint them all with the broadest of brushes with the most nefarious of intentions.

As an Indian I find this attitude highly insulting and derogatory towards my countrymen.

You go on about 'dhimmitude', but in essence you're pretty much the first one to segregate on creed. Why don't you stop contrdicting yourself.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Sun 20 Apr 2008, 17:10

In answer to the original question: I don't.

A guy breaking the shackles and going on a six-hitting rampage in Tests is exciting because of the stark contrast to the usual pace of the game, the high stakes, the match-turning potential of such a bold approach.

A guy slogging sixes in a cynical, market-driven, dumbed-down game designed to showcase guys slogging sixes has no real meaning or consequence at all. It is what it is.

And as such, I just don't find myself remotely interested.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Number of posts : 26195
Registration date : 2007-08-03
Flag/Background : fra

http://www.flamingbails.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by *Buckaroo* Sun 20 Apr 2008, 17:14

Brass Monkey wrote:You go on about 'dhimmitude', but in essence you're pretty much the first one to segregate on creed. Why don't you stop contrdicting yourself.

this is not my fault, much of the west consciously or unconsciously keeps practicing and encouraging subtle discrimination. Sometimes even people are not aware of this fact of how others are thinking, feeling and perceiving certain actions.

In further resposne to the issues raised by Augustus, it would seem to me that cricketers themselves could be aware of what is in the best interests of the game. Or is that job left completely to the connoisours on the sidelines. I mean I have heard many a cricketer holler many a time that Test Cricket is the ultimate form of the game.

Do I see that opinion changing now, is that under threat .. or did those cricketers who made that claim never really meant it in the first place. Which has made all of us suddenly paranoid and unsure of the future of Test Cricket.

I am pretty sure no one has bleeding heart for the eventual demise of ODI.
*Buckaroo*
*Buckaroo*

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Sun 20 Apr 2008, 17:16

Aye, it just doesn't matter if you get out. T20 definitely has a place in domestic cricket of all countries.

I'd hate to see it become the norm internationally...
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by Josh Carney Sun 20 Apr 2008, 22:53

In the long run, for success the fans need to form loyalties and make the emotional connections to teams. I cannot see that happening with IPL.

Will be interesting to see the interest levels of fans after 2 weeks of this current hype.

Already Mumbai fans are disillusioned from what I can see. Their only connection, Sachin's participation is shaky. If something as flimsy as that can affect team loyalties I am very apprehensive that this can continue to keep fans flocking in.

Even for the first match at Mohali the stand seemed pretty empty from what I could see.

Josh Carney

Number of posts : 1751

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Sun 20 Apr 2008, 23:09

Was there any thought of ever forming these teams around existing FC sides Josh?

Or was support for domestic teams never there anyway?
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next