Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Langer: Fred is the best fast bowler in Test cricket

+10
holcs
embee
Henry
DJ_Smerk
Red
PlanetPakistan
JKLever
Brass Monkey
PearlJ
Lara Lara Laughs
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Langer: Fred is the best fast bowler in Test cricket Empty Langer: Fred is the best fast bowler in Test cricket

Post by Lara Lara Laughs Thu 01 May 2008, 13:17

In the same company as Ambrose, McGrath and Walsh!

Says the spell he faced last week was one of the best he's ever faced.
Lara Lara Laughs
Lara Lara Laughs

Number of posts : 8943
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Langer: Fred is the best fast bowler in Test cricket Empty Re: Langer: Fred is the best fast bowler in Test cricket

Post by PearlJ Thu 01 May 2008, 13:19

Too many bangs to the head for Justin methinks......
PearlJ
PearlJ

Langer: Fred is the best fast bowler in Test cricket ZY4L4DZ

Number of posts : 3599
Registration date : 2007-09-05

Back to top Go down

Langer: Fred is the best fast bowler in Test cricket Empty Re: Langer: Fred is the best fast bowler in Test cricket

Post by Brass Monkey Thu 01 May 2008, 13:23

Justin Langer wrote:If I was the sole selector of the England Test team, Andrew Flintoff could bat at number 11 if it meant playing him.

Since the 2005 Ashes series, it has been my strong opinion that he is the best fast bowler currently playing international cricket - he must play in England's first XI.

In many ways it is a luxury to have the gladiatorial Lancastrian batting at number six and acting as the fourth bowler.

There have been whispers that he needs to score runs to scrape into the England line-up.

But I have never known Curtly Ambrose, Courtney Walsh or Glenn McGrath having to score runs to be selected.

There is no doubt Flintoff is a more talented all-round cricketer than the three legends I have just named, but he is in equal company when it comes to delivering a cricket ball.

Only last week I padded up against Lancashire in the County Championship for Somerset and I can say first hand that Flintoff is absolutely ready to be picked for the first Test against New Zealand.

One of the joys of retiring from international cricket was knowing that I wouldn't be peppered by the world's best fast bowlers ever again.

This in mind, I was shocked at the ferocity of the Flintoff onslaught at Old Trafford.

As I kept saying to him, I could have understood if I was batting with Matthew Hayden and wearing a green Australia helmet with a kangaroo and emu embroidered on the front.
Flintoff's spell for Lancashire was just as ferocious as any from the Ashes

Instead, I was in a red Somerset helmet with Marcus Trescothick partnering me, so if I was ever in for a reprieve from England's best fast bowler then surely that would have been the time.

History will suggest this couldn't have been further from the truth.

For about an hour I could have been in the boxing ring with Joe Calzaghe and by the end of it I had literally copped a hammering.

My ribs, elbow and chest were so bruised I could have been confused for Bernard Hopkins in Las Vegas!

Both Marcus and I agreed his spell was one of the great ones either of us had ever faced and while it was ugly - and at times intimidating - it is what we miss about playing international cricket on its toughest days.

The thing that distinguishes Flintoff from the rest is every time the captain throws him the ball, the opposition team sit on the edge of their seats hoping he doesn't destroy the game during his spell.

Last week at Old Trafford was no different as if Australia were playing an Ashes Test match.

The opposition may have been different - but the feeling was identical.

There is no doubt the big fiery quick must prove his fitness but, from what I have seen, he is ready and he would be in my team every single day of the week.

He had that hungry look in his eye and a hungry and inspired legend must be selected every time they are fit because they simply win games by their presence and skill.

From Somerset,
JL
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Thu 01 May 2008, 13:23

Fair do's. It's his opinion.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Thu 01 May 2008, 13:33

Twas a good working over he got
http://www.lancs.tv/index.php?PHPSESSID=92cd67c9cee328ab432243270285f761&p=0&vid=133&sm=1

Agree with him about the batting. Just pick Fred as a bowler - we don't have anybody else like him
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Lara Lara Laughs Thu 01 May 2008, 13:34

Fred vs Kallis could be one of many great battles against South Africa. I really can't wait for that series.
Lara Lara Laughs
Lara Lara Laughs

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Thu 01 May 2008, 13:42

A better batsman versus a better bowler. I don't think it will be Kallis the bowler versus Flintoff the batsman as much.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by PlanetPakistan Thu 01 May 2008, 14:11

He is a superman! Had it not been for the injuries he would have been one of the greatest all rounders ever.
PlanetPakistan
PlanetPakistan

Number of posts : 10285
Registration date : 2008-02-06
Flag/Background : pak

Back to top Go down

Post by Lara Lara Laughs Thu 01 May 2008, 14:12

Yeah, I meant Fred as bowler and Kallis as batsman, not as allrounders or the other way around.

It's a four Test series as well (rather than the shameful 2 Tests and 400 odis we're getting vs India this winter). Brilliant! I'll be IPLed out by then.
Lara Lara Laughs
Lara Lara Laughs

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Thu 01 May 2008, 14:14

I think Ambrose and McGrath were a fair way better than Walsh even if the latter had longevity on his side.
Red
Red

Number of posts : 17071
Registration date : 2007-10-28
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ_Smerk Thu 01 May 2008, 14:30

Don't bad mouth Curtly! and I don't mean James Kirtley either!
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Number of posts : 15938
Registration date : 2007-09-08
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ_Smerk Thu 01 May 2008, 14:33

Goddim! Stumps flying everywhere!

Langer: Fred is the best fast bowler in Test cricket Flintstonespic

Last edited by DJ_Smerk on Thu 01 May 2008, 14:35; edited 1 time in total
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Back to top Go down

Post by PearlJ Thu 01 May 2008, 14:33

DJ_Smerk wrote:Don't bad mouth Curtly! and I don't mean James Kirtley either!

You mean Courtney surely Wink
PearlJ
PearlJ

Langer: Fred is the best fast bowler in Test cricket ZY4L4DZ

Number of posts : 3599
Registration date : 2007-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Thu 01 May 2008, 14:44

PearlJ wrote:
DJ_Smerk wrote:Don't bad mouth Curtly! and I don't mean James Kirtley either!

You mean Courtney surely Wink

He's a teenage Welshman, I'm surprised he can understand anything on this forum.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Thu 01 May 2008, 14:50

For all of his bat jarring abilities, he isn't a natural wicket taker. Some of it is luck, another reason is the fact that he perhaps bowls a yard or so too short at times meaning less edges.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Thu 01 May 2008, 14:53

Henry wrote:For all of his bat jarring abilities, he isn't a natural wicket taker. Some of it is luck, another reason is the fact that he perhaps bowls a yard or so too short at times meaning less edges.

Fewer edges?
Red
Red

Number of posts : 17071
Registration date : 2007-10-28
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Thu 01 May 2008, 14:58

I don't GAF giant-style about his 'wicket taking abilites', he roughs batsman up massively and therefore is contributory to their unsettled mental states. Furthermore, he's a golden-arm and he gets the best batsmen out usually. You can't recreate that sort of player. Eat shit Mudge.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ_Smerk Thu 01 May 2008, 16:47

TEENAGE? I'm 21 in few months, maybe teenage in comparison to others on here! Very Happy
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Thu 01 May 2008, 16:53

Are we invited to your 21st?
embee
embee

Number of posts : 26217
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ_Smerk Thu 01 May 2008, 16:55

Yes. Except people who don't like the Welsh...so thats everyone then? Shocked
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Back to top Go down

Post by holcs Thu 01 May 2008, 16:56

DJ_Smerk wrote:Yes. Except people who don't like the Welsh...so thats everyone then? Shocked

Sage.
holcs
holcs

Number of posts : 5481
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Thu 01 May 2008, 16:57

I love the Welsh , boyo ...almost as much as the Welsh love sheep
embee
embee

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Thu 01 May 2008, 17:07

embee wrote:I love the Welsh , boyo ...almost as much as I love syphillis

Aye.
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ_Smerk Thu 01 May 2008, 17:07

Embee has STD's eh?
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Thu 01 May 2008, 17:13

DJ_Smerk wrote:Embee has STD's eh?

I will have after I share a sheep
embee
embee

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next