Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Prior could be out of tomorrow's game

+10
doremi
THICKEDGE
Basil
Chivalry Augustus
S F Barnes
Gary 111
LeFromage
JKLever
Brass Monkey
Neil D
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Prior could be out of tomorrow's game - Page 2 Empty Re: Prior could be out of tomorrow's game

Post by Neil D Tue 18 Sep 2007, 13:46

Either way, fair play to Durham and their academy. They've produced more than their fair share of England players in the last few years.

Collingwood, Harmison, Plunkett, Onions (ok, only a squad member), and now Mustard. And of course, Gary Pratt for "that" run out (it counts!)

Not bad considering they've only been a first class county for about twenty minutes.
Neil D
Neil D

Number of posts : 665
Registration date : 2007-09-01
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Prior could be out of tomorrow's game - Page 2 Empty Re: Prior could be out of tomorrow's game

Post by Gary 111 Tue 18 Sep 2007, 13:55

And not to forget Simon Brown of course...
Gary 111
Gary 111

Number of posts : 5717
Registration date : 2007-09-02

http://www.flamingbails.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Tue 18 Sep 2007, 13:55

Neil D wrote:Either way, fair play to Durham and their academy. They've produced more than their fair share of England players in the last few years.

Collingwood, Harmison, Plunkett, Onions (ok, only a squad member), and now Mustard. And of course, Gary Pratt for "that" run out (it counts!)

Not bad considering they've only been a first class county for about twenty minutes.

Definitely. Think that their catchement area must be pretty large overall being as it's the whole of the northeast in essence, which can't be a bad thing. They've totally moved up in the world, as you've mentioned the best battery of pace(at County level at least) in quite a while.

Davies may well still 'do something' if he's to stay fit and young Stoneman is living up to his name in the batting stakes, quite a stalwart already.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Tue 18 Sep 2007, 15:09

Neil D wrote:Phil Mustard has been called up for the Sri Lanka ODIs.

That means he's got 5 games to stake his claim.... on flat Lankan wickets.

Could potentially be the end of Prior's one-day career already.

Huzzahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

Now i want to see him given a minimum 25 game run.
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by S F Barnes Tue 18 Sep 2007, 15:15

Gary 111 wrote:And not to forget Simon Brown of course...

That was 11 years ago Gary. I remember he had a moustache ... thats about it. He didn't get a long run in the team, so he must have had one bad game ... that's all it took back in the bad old days.
S F Barnes
S F Barnes

Number of posts : 276
Registration date : 2007-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Tue 18 Sep 2007, 15:17

Aye, if anyone thinks we're gash now just remember Simon Brown & Paul Taylor.

FFS...
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Tue 18 Sep 2007, 15:21

JKLever wrote:
Neil D wrote:Phil Mustard has been called up for the Sri Lanka ODIs.

That means he's got 5 games to stake his claim.... on flat Lankan wickets.

Could potentially be the end of Prior's one-day career already.

Huzzahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

Now i want to see him given a minimum 25 game run.

Errr... 'ang on a mo.
I seem to remember you being a Prior groupie JK...!

Merlin

Number of posts : 14718
Registration date : 2007-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Tue 18 Sep 2007, 15:25

Poor old Simon Brown was a decent bowler. Got murdered versus Pakistan I think, never to return. Shame really, a decent left-armer with a bit of nip. Lost pace quite quickly and had the might of Mullalan Mullally to contend with...
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Tue 18 Sep 2007, 15:28

Merlin wrote:

Errr... 'ang on a mo.

Not in the ODI game Merlo, he's never had a good record at domestic level in one day cricket, whereas he does average 40 in FC cricket.

And besides all my talking him up, and IMO he was deserving of a go - he's got to perform adequately enough in both disciplines.

Mustards probably not the answer in tests, his FC record isn't that great Avg 28,but the one thing I've always thought when watching him is ' this lad is a tidy keeper'
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by holcs Tue 18 Sep 2007, 15:33

I'm actually coming to the opinion that we have a load of mediocre Batsmen/Wicketkeepers-Wicketkeeper/batsmen, none of whom will be much cop at international level.

It be nice to see Mustard have a go, but its full reversal kno from Moores as opposed to the Feltch era. It seems him and DaveGrve are all to keen to jump on the bandwagon of players, which IMO can be a good thing.

I'm just a bit confused how someone like Foster at Essex who did ok at international level, and who has improved, and has had a taste of the sub-continent with England doesn't get a dip ahead of Mustard?
holcs
holcs

Number of posts : 5481
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Tue 18 Sep 2007, 15:35

JKLever wrote:
Merlin wrote:

Errr... 'ang on a mo.

Not in the ODI game Merlo, he's never had a good record at domestic level in one day cricket, whereas he does average 40 in FC cricket.

And besides all my talking him up, and IMO he was deserving of a go - he's got to perform adequately enough in both disciplines.

Mustards probably not the answer in tests, his FC record isn't that great Avg 28,but the one thing I've always thought when watching him is ' this lad is a tidy keeper'

Fair do's.

I nailed my colours to the mast early ... I rated Prior as a poor keeper who could slog a wee bit against crap bowling when protected in a strong Sussex side by decent bats.
His ton at Lord's proved the point - no pressure, crap bowling, flat wicket - fill yer boots.... the Indians exposed him ... yet everyone raved and saw him as the batting/wkt keeping Messiah.
I'm glad he's gawn and now hope to hell Moutard gets a long run in the team so that he can establish himself before Moore's "Sussex alliegance" raises its ugly head again.

Last edited by on Tue 18 Sep 2007, 15:37; edited 1 time in total

Merlin

Number of posts : 14718
Registration date : 2007-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Tue 18 Sep 2007, 15:36

re: his FC record - He's been playing since he was 19, he plays in some harsh conditions and has pretty much been improving every year. I'd rather a 'dig in' batsman who doesn't score loads than someone who'll gift his wicket after 10 balls. He doesn't have to be the sparkler in the 'partnership', he just has to forge one, too many times recently we've been xxx/5 to xxx+5/6 without even trying.

Damn fine AGBB batting in the giggle stuff.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Tue 18 Sep 2007, 15:40

holcs wrote:
I'm just a bit confused how someone like Foster at Essex who did ok at international level, and who has improved, and has had a taste of the sub-continent with England doesn't get a dip ahead of Mustard?

I fear he wouldn't actually average much more than Read at test level,although mentally more tough. Form has been poor most of the year barring 1 double ton.

The wicketkeeping problem is actually becoming as bad as 'the next botham' problem
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Tue 18 Sep 2007, 15:43

JKLever wrote:The wicketkeeping problem is actually becoming as bad as 'the next botham' problem

Mate, we're looking as if the hunt for TNF is now on by the looks of it. Chris Jordan anyone?
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Tue 18 Sep 2007, 15:43

Batfink Begins wrote:re: his FC record - He's been playing since he was 19, he plays in some harsh conditions and has pretty much been improving every year. I'd rather a 'dig in' batsman who doesn't score loads than someone who'll gift his wicket after 10 balls. He doesn't have to be the sparkler in the 'partnership', he just has to forge one, too many times recently we've been xxx/5 to xxx+5/6 without even trying.

Damn fine AGBB batting in the giggle stuff.

Aye, he's definitely improving. And he's no slogger in ODI's either, plays straighter than a lot will think. He just commits to his shots. Like Prior he'll definitely get out hooking one straight up in the air but he's much more likely to have a 'go' rather than Priors scratchy 21 off 31 ball type innings.

Not seen him in Fc cricket, so no idea how he plays. I'd imagine still positive
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by holcs Tue 18 Sep 2007, 15:48

JKLever wrote:
holcs wrote:

I fear he wouldn't actually average much more than Read at test level,although mentally more tough. Form has been poor most of the year barring 1 double ton.

The wicketkeeping problem is actually becoming as bad as 'the next botham' problem

Aye.

Just believe form or not, that his hands and as you say mentally he'd be better suited to the job.

The thing that really goads me is that Prior actually when he plays properly LOOKS a very good player. It just seems his gobsh1t attitude get in the way of him actually performing.

Only seen Mustard once or twice. Keeping looked solid, I though he was a bit cross-bat hacker but i'm willing to reserve judgement on that.
holcs
holcs

Number of posts : 5481
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Tue 18 Sep 2007, 15:50

JKLever wrote:Aye, he's definitely improving. And he's no slogger in ODI's either, plays straighter than a lot will think. He just commits to his shots. Like Prior he'll definitely get out hooking one straight up in the air but he's much more likely to have a 'go' rather than Priors scratchy 21 off 31 ball type innings.

Not seen him in Fc cricket, so no idea how he plays. I'd imagine still positive

Hmmm, not sure. Seen him twice myself, so couldn't be definitive. Was pretty positive, but more from playing inside the line - looking for quick singles/twos. Saw him bang a damn feisty 80 against us when we were trouncing Durham. We had a good fielding side at the time, but he still worked the gaps pretty well.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2