Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Northern Rock - Anyone got any dosh in there?

+5
JGK
JKLever
Basil
Merlin
Lara Lara Laughs
9 posters

Go down

Northern Rock - Anyone got any dosh in there? Empty Northern Rock - Anyone got any dosh in there?

Post by Lara Lara Laughs Mon 17 Sep 2007, 22:06

All deposits have been guaranteed by the government today. Will it make any difference? Will people stop withdrawing their life savings? Who are the financial experts on this forum?
Lara Lara Laughs
Lara Lara Laughs

Number of posts : 8943
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Northern Rock - Anyone got any dosh in there? Empty Re: Northern Rock - Anyone got any dosh in there?

Post by Guest Mon 17 Sep 2007, 22:45

A big chunk of my pension. But I can't get it out until I'm 65 so there's no point worrying.

Worst case is that Lloyds or someone will buy out NR. Their share price has fallen from 1200 to 200, so I expect this will shortly happen.

Back to top Go down

Northern Rock - Anyone got any dosh in there? Empty Re: Northern Rock - Anyone got any dosh in there?

Post by Merlin Mon 17 Sep 2007, 22:57

Their outstanding loans will be dispersed equally between the big 5 banks - whilst the rest of the company is either sold off as a job lot - or broken up and then sold.

Either way - there's no way back for NR.
Got too ambitious - some would say greedy - as the smallest of what was once, the big 6.

Nationwide will do nicely.
100 pct Building Society - no thrills, no spills and no added costs like you come across in the high street banks.

Merlin

Number of posts : 14718
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : afg

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Mon 17 Sep 2007, 22:59

Merlin wrote:Their outstanding loans will be dispersed equally between the big 5 banks - whilst the rest of the company is either sold off as a job lot - or broken up and then sold.

Either way - there's no way back for NR.
Got too ambitious - some would say greedy - as the smallest of what was once, the big 6.

Nationwide will do nicely.
100 pct Building Society - no thrills, no spills and no added costs like you come across in the high street banks.

Aye, you never know, someone some day might reinvent the traditional Buiding Society.
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Mon 17 Sep 2007, 23:04

Keep it under the bed.

It'll be worth peanuts in 20 years anyhoo
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Tue 18 Sep 2007, 09:58

"Northern Rock - Anyone got any dosh in there?"

Not any more.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Tue 18 Sep 2007, 10:00

BTW - I heard that the BoE were bailing them out more than they were required.

If so, I don't think that is a good thing. It will just encourage future excessive risk taking knowing that the goverment will bail you out if things go pear shaped.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Dog Tue 18 Sep 2007, 10:06

JGK wrote:BTW - I heard that the BoE were bailing them out more than they were required.

If so, I don't think that is a good thing. It will just encourage future excessive risk taking knowing that the goverment will bail you out if things go pear shaped.

Was'nt the NAB looking to buy it?
Big Dog
Big Dog

Number of posts : 16498
Flag/Background : tig

http://bigdog.bigblog.com.au/index.do

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 18 Sep 2007, 10:29

JGK wrote:BTW - I heard that the BoE were bailing them out more than they were required.

Giving them a loan so they can create new business, I think. but the investors have taken about £2Bill out so that's no good.

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Tue 18 Sep 2007, 10:56

NR are history - it's just a matter of time now.

Wonder if Newcastle United will get their NR sponsorship dosh after all this dies down!

Merlin

Back to top Go down

Post by bliksem Tue 18 Sep 2007, 10:58

They're giving them a loan so that they can continue functioning day to day, not so they can get new business. I think it's safe to say that Northern Rock will not be getting any new business for a very long time to come, and nor can they afford to acquire any seeing as their primary business is lending money.

Most banks survive on massive amounts of credit and would probably be in a lot of trouble if all their loans were called in at once. It's therefore hardly surprising that this operating philosophy has been passed on to the general public, leading to more and more people finding themselves living beyond their means and unable to cope with the ensuing debt.

In short, banks are evil and people are stupid.
bliksem
bliksem

Number of posts : 1005
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Anniyan Tue 18 Sep 2007, 11:28

A fool and his money are soon parted!
Anniyan
Anniyan

Number of posts : 939
Registration date : 2007-09-08
Flag/Background : sl

Back to top Go down

Post by bliksem Tue 18 Sep 2007, 11:33

So how long have you been broke then?
bliksem
bliksem

Number of posts : 1005
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Anniyan Tue 18 Sep 2007, 12:50

bliksem wrote:So how long have you been broke then?

Never
Anniyan
Anniyan

Number of posts : 939
Registration date : 2007-09-08
Flag/Background : sl

Back to top Go down

Post by doctorspin Tue 18 Sep 2007, 13:27

Very true in principle. I have not followed this closely, but I think the reason the BoE and Gov are doing it is to try to prevent a total collapse of the banking system. I heard the explanation of  why the other banks are at risk, but I've forgotten it.
doctorspin
doctorspin

Northern Rock - Anyone got any dosh in there? 7EoDRAk

Number of posts : 2746

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Tue 18 Sep 2007, 14:49

[quote="doctorspin"]

Very true in principle. I have not followed this closely, but I think the reason the BoE and Gov are doing it is to try to prevent a total collapse of the banking system.
I heard the explanation of why the other banks are at risk, but I've forgotten it.[/quote]

One very good reason to stash yer cash under the floor boards, doc ... per JKL's suggestion above!

PS The banking system wouldn't collapse, it's just that individual banks would see their share values stripped raw and recovery thence will be long and arduous - with the clients picking up the hefty tabs and interest rates rocketing to over 10 pct within weeks.

Merlin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 18 Sep 2007, 18:59

Don't trust banks and mulit-national companies, they are evil. Power is a rich mans son.

Hide your money under the bed, or just spend it when you have it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down