Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sri Lanka appreciation thread!

+9
leg glancer
GordoninPortsmouth
Henry
PearlJ
Lara Lara Laughs
Anniyan
skully
JGK
PlanetPakistan
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Sri Lanka appreciation thread! Empty Sri Lanka appreciation thread!

Post by PlanetPakistan Sat 26 Jul 2008, 07:20

What a fantastic cricketing country Sri Lanka is!

They got the test status only 26 or 27 years ago and in this short period of time they have been able to produce high class cricketers like De Silva(my personal favorite), Jayasuriya, Murali, Sangakkara and Jayawerdena who have helped them win numerous titles in both forms of the game . These men are not just great cricketers but have also behaved in an exemplary way and have represented their Sri Lankan board/country with great honor.

So Sri Lankan cricket TAKE A BOW!!
PlanetPakistan
PlanetPakistan

Number of posts : 10285
Registration date : 2008-02-06
Flag/Background : pak

Back to top Go down

Sri Lanka appreciation thread! Empty Re: Sri Lanka appreciation thread!

Post by JGK Sat 26 Jul 2008, 07:59

WTF? Sanga is the worst sledger in international cricket and Murali's greatness has as much credibility as Barry Bonds'.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by PlanetPakistan Sat 26 Jul 2008, 08:15

Sanga sledges but i don't think he abuses his opponents (may be once in a while)
Murali has been cleared by the ICC.

I don't remember the last time any S Lankan player was involved in a major controversy.
PlanetPakistan
PlanetPakistan

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Sat 26 Jul 2008, 08:16

God, this thread will turn into an Anni w@nk-fest.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105978
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Anniyan Sat 26 Jul 2008, 08:41

Thanks Planet Pak. One must also give credit to SL for producing good cricketers amid all the Civil War going on there. The economy is failing by the day and the country has one of the worst rate of homicide in the world. The ruling government wants the Tamils wiped out of the country by any means and one Tamil is trying to win it for the team and another here supports the team wholeheartedly.
Anniyan
Anniyan

Number of posts : 939
Registration date : 2007-09-08
Flag/Background : sl

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 26 Jul 2008, 09:18

PlanetPakistan wrote:What a fantastic cricketing country Sri Lanka is!

They got the test status only 26 or 27 years ago and in this short period of time they have been able to produce high class cricketers like De Silva(my personal favorite), Jayasuriya, Murali, Sangakkara and Jayawerdena who have helped them win numerous titles in both forms of the game .

Yeah.

Ignoring the Murali-got-the-laws-changed-so-he-could-carry-on-cheating controversy, I would agree that SL have made great strides in a short time. I remember them embarrassing England in their first Lord's test in 1982 (Wettimuny got 190 and Mendis hooked Both for three successive sixes).

Back to top Go down

Post by PlanetPakistan Sat 26 Jul 2008, 17:53

Anniyan wrote:Thanks Planet Pak. One must also give credit to SL for producing good cricketers amid all the Civil War going on there. The economy is failing by the day and the country has one of the worst rate of homicide in the world. The ruling government wants the Tamils wiped out of the country by any means and one Tamil is trying to win it for the team and another here supports the team wholeheartedly.

Valid point! SL's political situation is a total mess.

How is the education system in SL?
PlanetPakistan
PlanetPakistan

Back to top Go down

Post by PlanetPakistan Sat 26 Jul 2008, 17:57

Rob I wrote:

They got the test status only 26 or 27 years ago and in this short period of time they have been able to produce high class cricketers like De Silva(my personal favorite), Jayasuriya, Murali, Sangakkara and Jayawerdena who have helped them win numerous titles in both forms of the game .

Yeah.

Ignoring the Murali-got-the-laws-changed-so-he-could-carry-on-cheating controversy, I would agree that SL have made great strides in a short time. I remember them embarrassing England in their first Lord's test in 1982 (Wettimuny got 190 and Mendis hooked Both for three successive sixes).
They embarrassed PAK in 1995.

PAK had not lost a home series for 15 years and when SL landed in PAK i thought to myself "ah...3 nil" . My confidence grew when PAK won the first test by an innings but SL totally proved me wrong by first winning the Faisalabad test right in front of my eyes and then they went on to win at Sialkot as well.
PlanetPakistan
PlanetPakistan

Back to top Go down

Post by Lara Lara Laughs Sat 26 Jul 2008, 18:02

JGK wrote:WTF? Sanga is the worst sledger in international cricket.

Bit rich.

Besides, Sanga's sledging is subtle, intelligent and inoffensive as far as I can tell.
Lara Lara Laughs
Lara Lara Laughs

Number of posts : 8943
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 26 Jul 2008, 18:05

Sanga's sledging always seemed quite funny from what I've seen. None of this disgusting "what does Brian Lara's dick taste like" stuff.

Back to top Go down

Post by PearlJ Sat 26 Jul 2008, 18:21

SL cricket will always leave a bad taste in my mouth. I love to give them a kicking.
PearlJ
PearlJ

Sri Lanka appreciation thread! ZY4L4DZ

Number of posts : 3599
Registration date : 2007-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Anniyan Sat 26 Jul 2008, 18:24

PlanetPakistan wrote:
Anniyan wrote:Thanks Planet Pak. One must also give credit to SL for producing good cricketers amid all the Civil War going on there. The economy is failing by the day and the country has one of the worst rate of homicide in the world. The ruling government wants the Tamils wiped out of the country by any means and one Tamil is trying to win it for the team and another here supports the team wholeheartedly.

Thankfully the education system is still one of the good if not the best in South East Asia. Education is free for all and the government even provides free meals, books and clothes for all school children. Those from disadvantaged background get grants for School and even University education. Literacy rate used to be around high 90% but I believe it may be falling fast due to the war. Tamils tend to take education very seriously still the war affected northern and eastern regions post some of the best results in the country. On a lighter note regarding politics I can quote a guy who phoned in a radio station regarding a debate on how to resolve the civil war. He said " All Tamils except Murali and his family should be packed off this Island".
Anniyan
Anniyan

Back to top Go down

Post by PlanetPakistan Sat 26 Jul 2008, 18:34

Anniyan wrote:
PlanetPakistan wrote:

Thankfully the education system is still one of the good if not the best in South East Asia. Education is free for all and the government even provides free meals, books and clothes for all school children. Those from disadvantaged background get grants for School and even University education. Literacy rate used to be around high 90% but I believe it may be falling fast due to the war. Tamils tend to take education very seriously still the war affected northern and eastern regions post some of the best results in the country. On a lighter note regarding politics I can quote a guy who phoned in a radio station regarding a debate on how to resolve the civil war. He said " All Tamils except Murali and his family should be packed off this Island".
ah that explains why the players are able to handle fame and NOT turn in to idiots how ever its very surprising that such educated people can't solve their political problems.
PlanetPakistan
PlanetPakistan

Back to top Go down

Post by Anniyan Sat 26 Jul 2008, 18:48

PlanetPakistan wrote:
Anniyan wrote:
PlanetPakistan wrote:

ah that explains why the players are able to handle fame and NOT turn in to idiots how ever its very surprising that such educated people can't solve their political problems.

Heard about educated fools? Besides the government is "Run" by few Buddhist monks and the religion plays big part in high places. I am sure you would've seen photos of SL team being blessed by monks prior to an overseas tour or a big match in Cricinfo gallery.
Anniyan
Anniyan

Back to top Go down

Post by Anniyan Sun 27 Jul 2008, 13:27

PearlJ wrote:SL cricket will always leave a bad taste in my mouth. I love to give them a kicking.

You probably should read this article
Anniyan
Anniyan

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Sun 27 Jul 2008, 13:31

Out of all the top cricketing nations, Sri Lanka is the one in recent times (Used to be the Windies) that makes the most of their resources- 20 million people, f*ck all money, but some genuinely great cricketers.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891

Back to top Go down

Post by GordoninPortsmouth Sun 27 Jul 2008, 14:36

I can never accept Murali's authenticity (and I reserve that right and the right not to have to defend that position before anyone asks) but I do hold Sri Lankan cricket in the highest esteem.

I think they were superb during the last World Cup when frankly the rest of the world seemed to barely care a less about offering a challenge up to Aus. They really seem to be the only Asian team whos shoulders are not labouring under a whole frying pans worth of chips too.

I wish SL cricket all the very best of success.

GordoninPortsmouth

Number of posts : 228
Registration date : 2008-01-08

Back to top Go down

Post by leg glancer Sun 27 Jul 2008, 14:59

PearlJ wrote:SL cricket will always leave a bad taste in my mouth. I love to give them a kicking.

PJ being subtle again? And I thought was bad, LOL.
leg glancer
leg glancer

Number of posts : 800
Registration date : 2007-11-19
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by The One Sun 27 Jul 2008, 17:29

Anniyan wrote:Thankfully the education system is still one of the good if not the best in South East Asia.

you probably mean south asia. and yes it is, by far

The One

Number of posts : 9035
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by PlanetPakistan Tue 03 Mar 2009, 22:08

bump...

LAHORE: Sri Lankan cricket team flew out of Pakistan on a specially chartered Airbus 320, cutting short their tour after a deadly attack on Tuesday, reported ARY OneWorld.

The team left for Colombo on a special chartered flight of Lanka Air from Lahore Airport.

Governor Punjab Salman Taseer, Chairman PCB Ijaz Butt, Captain Younus Khan and players from Pakistan Cricket team saw off the guest team.

Talking to Pakistani players before departure, Sri Lankan captain Mahela Jayawardane who was also hurt in the attack that leaves seven people dead and 18 others injured, vowed to come back again to play in Pakistan.

Jayawardane said that his team never hesitated in visiting Pakistan and will come back once the situation will be normalized.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sangakarra said something similar!
PlanetPakistan
PlanetPakistan

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Tue 03 Mar 2009, 22:17

Blimey.

Even if they are "making the right noises", there is something heroic-crazy about that, in the immediate aftermath.

Tribute to the Lankans, anyway. If on slightly altered grounds from the original purpose of the thread.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by PlanetPakistan Tue 03 Mar 2009, 22:19

sangakarra: "no regrets on pakistan tour"
PlanetPakistan
PlanetPakistan

Back to top Go down

Post by PlanetPakistan Tue 03 Mar 2009, 22:20

They got the test status only 26 or 27 years ago and in this short period of time they have been able to produce high class cricketers like De Silva(my personal favorite), Jayasuriya, Murali, Sangakkara and Jayawerdena who have helped them win numerous titles in both forms of the game . These men are not just great cricketers but have also behaved in an exemplary way and have represented their Sri Lankan board/country with great honor.

proved that today
PlanetPakistan
PlanetPakistan

Back to top Go down

Post by freddled gruntbuggly Wed 04 Mar 2009, 09:34

PlanetPakistan wrote:Jayawardane said that his team never hesitated in visiting Pakistan and will come back once the situation will be normalized.[/b]
Define 'normal' in this case . . .
freddled gruntbuggly
freddled gruntbuggly

Sri Lanka appreciation thread! 7EoDRAk

Number of posts : 2959
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Invader Zim Wed 04 Mar 2009, 09:51

So let's get this straight.

Even tho Lanka are a bunch of serial over appealers, cheats and sooks, because they've been machine-gunned they are now the cricket equivalent of Mother Teresa?

Gay.
Invader Zim
Invader Zim

Number of posts : 6396
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next