Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sri Lanka v India, 2nd Test, Galle, July 31st July - 4th Aug

+24
The One
G.Wood
Red
holcs
philcric
PearlJ
Batman
skully
JGK
horace
SG
Josh Carney
freddled gruntbuggly
furriner
Gary 111
taipan
Henry
leg glancer
embee
Anniyan
PlanetPakistan
JKLever
spangler
doremi
28 posters

Page 1 of 17 1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 17  Next

Go down

Sri Lanka v India, 2nd Test, Galle, July 31st July - 4th Aug Empty Sri Lanka v India, 2nd Test, Galle, July 31st July - 4th Aug

Post by doremi Sat 26 Jul 2008, 23:27

Sehwag
Gambhir
Laxman
Sachin
Sourav
Dravid
Parthiv+ *groan*
Kumble
Bhajji
Zak
Ishant

Only one change. How worse can Parthiv be as a keeper? The better batsman. Dravid's test career now probably hanging by a thread, and finally Kumble/Kirsten see that Laxman's the better candidate there.

Unless one of their pacers gets fit, SL will probably keep the same team. Mendis is proving to be a little hard to read, which also has helped Murali immensely as the pressure from the other end is also huge. It'll be fascinating (and probably faintly horrifying) to watch them in tandem again in the next two tests. Sachin didn't look too ruffled against them and both his dismissals were a bit unlucky. There seems to be plan from both to get Sourav LBW, with occasionally tempting him with a wide one. He needs to therefore defend really carefully, and try and avoid the ball hitting his pads no matter how big a stride he takes.

And now Gambhir. I've been a big critic of his, but it's plain to see that he's exceptional against spinners, and if we are to win, he'll need to play big *groan*

And the bowlers need to take wickets and the fielders to remember how to catch a bloody cricket ball.

Last edited by doremi on Sat 26 Jul 2008, 23:53; edited 1 time in total
doremi
doremi

Number of posts : 9743
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Sri Lanka v India, 2nd Test, Galle, July 31st July - 4th Aug Empty Re: Sri Lanka v India, 2nd Test, Galle, July 31st July - 4th Aug

Post by spangler Sat 26 Jul 2008, 23:40

I think there's a case for playing Gambhir in the middle order to try and counter the spin threat.
spangler
spangler

Sri Lanka v India, 2nd Test, Galle, July 31st July - 4th Aug 7EoDRAk

Number of posts : 2554
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Sri Lanka v India, 2nd Test, Galle, July 31st July - 4th Aug Empty Re: Sri Lanka v India, 2nd Test, Galle, July 31st July - 4th Aug

Post by JKLever Sat 26 Jul 2008, 23:46

It's about time these Indians learn how to play spin...
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by doremi Sat 26 Jul 2008, 23:53

spangler wrote:I think there's a case for playing Gambhir in the middle order to try and counter the spin threat.

The spinners will be on from the 8th over onwards anyways.
doremi
doremi

Back to top Go down

Post by PlanetPakistan Sun 27 Jul 2008, 05:35

spangler wrote:I think there's a case for playing Gambhir in the middle order to try and counter the spin threat.
have been saying this for a long time.
PlanetPakistan
PlanetPakistan

Number of posts : 10285
Registration date : 2008-02-06
Flag/Background : pak

Back to top Go down

Post by doremi Sun 27 Jul 2008, 07:37

BTW, Ishant averages 37.5 with the bat right now.
doremi
doremi

Back to top Go down

Post by Anniyan Sun 27 Jul 2008, 09:43

I really hope both Malinga and Maharoof get fit in time for the test. SL bowling will be much better with them in. Vaas may need to get some plans sorted out to strike early and SL bats should try to play more careful with their shot selections as they had about 5 lives in the last test. And as always come on Murali and Mendis!
Anniyan
Anniyan

Number of posts : 939
Registration date : 2007-09-08
Flag/Background : sl

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Sun 27 Jul 2008, 09:45

....and the fielders to remember how to catch a bloody cricket ball.

No chance with all the "reminders" that Patel FFS will give them ...
embee
embee

Number of posts : 26187
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by Anniyan Sun 27 Jul 2008, 11:00

doremi wrote:BTW, Ishant averages 37.5 with the bat right now.

another Pathan in the making?
Anniyan
Anniyan

Number of posts : 939
Registration date : 2007-09-08
Flag/Background : sl

Back to top Go down

Post by leg glancer Sun 27 Jul 2008, 11:50

doremi wrote:
Parthiv+ *groan*

I've got the perfect background song to Parthiv dropping catches.

*breaks into song*...

“Ik dilke tukde hazaar huye,
koyi yahan gira koyi wahan gira…
Bahte huye aansoo ruk na sake,
koyi yahan gira koyi wahan gira…"
leg glancer
leg glancer

Number of posts : 800
Registration date : 2007-11-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Sun 27 Jul 2008, 12:59

I can't imagine the second test being as one sided as the first.

Having said that, I reckon that Dravid, Laxman, Ganguly, and Kumble are playing for their test careers in this match.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891
Registration date : 2007-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Sun 27 Jul 2008, 13:03

Henry wrote:
Having said that, I reckon that Dravid, Laxman, Ganguly, and Kumble are playing for their test careers in this match.

SRT?
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Sun 27 Jul 2008, 13:06

SRT had an excellent tour of Aus, which probably gives him some leverage. From all reports (No tv coverage here in Aus) he looked good in the first test as well before getting out.

I just can't imagine Tendulkar ever being dropped. He'd have to be severely pressured by the Indian selectors to retire, imo.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by doremi Sun 27 Jul 2008, 14:44

Why would Laxman and Ganguly be playing for their test careers?
doremi
doremi

Back to top Go down

Post by leg glancer Sun 27 Jul 2008, 15:12

doremi wrote:Why would Laxman and Ganguly be playing for their test careers?

doremi I get the impression that you want to watch some of our senior players play until they are 70 years old.
leg glancer
leg glancer

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Sun 27 Jul 2008, 15:48

Because sooner or later, their careers will end. It's life. If now isn't a good time, then when is? Do you want to see Ganguly playing when he is 48 years old and barely able to pick up a cricket bat? Not all retirements have to be shameful. I guess in Asia, the idea of going out with one's head still held high is something a bit unheard of.

Retirements in Asian cricket tend to be messy, bitter, undignified affairs.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary 111 Sun 27 Jul 2008, 16:04

If India lose to Sri Lanka this series then you'd think there would have to be major changes. For a team that was claiming that they were about to become the world's number one a year or two ago they're not covering themselves in glory. A loss to Australia, followed by a draw to SA (who retained the series trophy) followed by a loss to Sri Lanka would make some of the older players claims to a spot untenable.
Gary 111
Gary 111

Number of posts : 5717
Registration date : 2007-09-02

http://www.flamingbails.com

Back to top Go down

Post by doremi Sun 27 Jul 2008, 16:25

leg glancer wrote:

doremi I get the impression that you want to watch some of our senior players play until they are 70 years old.

I'd be lying if I said otherwise if the player concerned is Tendulkar.

Last edited by doremi on Sun 27 Jul 2008, 21:30; edited 1 time in total
doremi
doremi

Back to top Go down

Post by doremi Sun 27 Jul 2008, 16:27

Henry wrote:

Because sooner or later, their careers will end. It's life. If now isn't a good time, then when is? Do you want to see Ganguly playing when he is 48 years old and barely able to pick up a cricket bat? Not all retirements have to be shameful. I guess in Asia, the idea of going out with one's head still held high is something a bit unheard of.

Retirements in Asian cricket tend to be messy, bitter, undignified affairs.

That's not what you said. You said they'd be playing for their careers. Laxman had a great series in Australia, and Ganguly almost singlehandedly won us the game against SA.

I seriously am repulsed by policies of change for change's sake. There is no need yet, when they are performing bar Dravid. Now he is hanging by a thread and unfortunately, sad as it would be for me, I'm expecting him to leave international cricket one way or another pretty soon. Kneejerk I don't like (when the jerking is not done by myself).
doremi
doremi

Back to top Go down

Post by leg glancer Sun 27 Jul 2008, 21:23

doremi wrote:
leg glancer wrote:

I'd be lying if I said I otherwise if the player concerned in Tendulkar.

It is a depressing thought for Indian fans but it's time to face the facts that these old buddas can't go on forever, not even Tendulkar. Provided he doesn't get injured and quits playing useless JAMODI cricket and the even more useless IPL, I reckon Tendulkar has two years of good test cricket left. I can't see Tendulkar being of use beyond 2010, his fitness can only get worse.
leg glancer
leg glancer

Back to top Go down

Post by doremi Sun 27 Jul 2008, 21:52

I know they can't go on forever, neither do I want them to, would mean the talent levels of India had reached Bermuda standard. Thing is I want the team to win, and IMO, the 'big 4' are the best test batsmen in this country still. Dravid's going on reserve right now and looks most likely to be the first one to join the commentary box. (I have a feeling he'll be retiring soon).

Sachin, Sourav and Laxman are still more than worth their places in the team, and I atleast won't be in favour of bunging in a clear inferior replacement, not when they're still doing great, no matter how young he is. Youth does NOT win you matches. ONE lousy test match doesn't change anything.

Also the most likely batsman in India right now, IMO, ready to make the step up to test cricket is S Badrinath and he just isn't picked.
doremi
doremi

Back to top Go down

Post by furriner Sun 27 Jul 2008, 22:43

Why are we Sri Lanka's bitches in Sri Lanka?

Thanks.
furriner
furriner

Number of posts : 12507

Back to top Go down

Post by leg glancer Mon 28 Jul 2008, 00:13

furriner wrote:Why are we Sri Lanka's bitches in Sri Lanka?

Thanks.

Its Kal-yug and Ravan is taking revenge on us.
leg glancer
leg glancer

Back to top Go down

Post by furriner Mon 28 Jul 2008, 02:13

^ ^ As good a reason as any. In fact the best reason.
furriner
furriner

Number of posts : 12507

Back to top Go down

Post by PlanetPakistan Mon 28 Jul 2008, 02:14

Have to agree with doremi
PlanetPakistan
PlanetPakistan

Number of posts : 10285
Registration date : 2008-02-06
Flag/Background : pak

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 17 1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 17  Next