Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England Lions batter South Africa...

+13
lardbucket
beamer
PeterCS
mynah
Geoffrey Trueman
PlanetPakistan
taipan
Gary 111
Anniyan
JKLever
PearlJ
Chivalry Augustus
LeFromage
17 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

England Lions batter South Africa... Empty England Lions batter South Africa...

Post by LeFromage Sat 16 Aug 2008, 17:57

... by six wickets with nine overs to spare.

Not even England Lions' first choice XI as Essex and Kent players couldn't play.

How funny.

Samit Patel 60*.

How funny.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Number of posts : 26195
Registration date : 2007-08-03
Flag/Background : fra

http://www.flamingbails.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

England Lions batter South Africa... Empty Re: England Lions batter South Africa...

Post by Chivalry Augustus Sat 16 Aug 2008, 17:59

"England" Lions indeed. The key men; Mascarenhas, Patel, Shah, Trott, Morgan. Hmm...
Chivalry Augustus
Chivalry Augustus

England Lions batter South Africa... Svlx7uN

Number of posts : 4864
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

England Lions batter South Africa... Empty Re: England Lions batter South Africa...

Post by PearlJ Sat 16 Aug 2008, 18:01

Augustus wrote:"England" Lions indeed. The key men; Mascarenhas, Patel, Shah, Trott, Morgan. Hmm...

:?:
PearlJ
PearlJ

England Lions batter South Africa... ZY4L4DZ

Number of posts : 3599
Registration date : 2007-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Chivalry Augustus Sat 16 Aug 2008, 18:05

Mascarenhas - Aussie.
Patel - Of Indian descent, though irrefutably English in upbringing.
Shah - Ditto.
Trott - South African.
Morgan - Irish.
Chivalry Augustus
Chivalry Augustus

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 16 Aug 2008, 18:05

The only player who influenced the game who is english is Patel...

I see Joyce hit his wicket, anyone watch that by chance? Always good for a chuckle...

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Sat 16 Aug 2008, 18:06

Augustus wrote:"England" Lions indeed. The key men; Mascarenhas, Patel, Shah, Trott, Morgan. Hmm...

English. English. English. English. Irish.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Back to top Go down

Post by PearlJ Sat 16 Aug 2008, 18:06

Augustus wrote:Mascarenhas - Aussie.
Patel - Of Indian descent, though irrefutably English in upbringing.
Shah - Ditto.
Trott - South African.
Morgan - Irish.

Gotcha.
PearlJ
PearlJ

England Lions batter South Africa... ZY4L4DZ

Number of posts : 3599
Registration date : 2007-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Sat 16 Aug 2008, 18:36

Darren Pattinson 7-0-62-1
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Anniyan Sat 16 Aug 2008, 18:55

JKLever wrote:Darren Pattinson 7-0-62-1

Does his roof work leak as much as this? bounce
Anniyan
Anniyan

Number of posts : 939
Registration date : 2007-09-08
Flag/Background : sl

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Sat 16 Aug 2008, 19:02

JKLever wrote:Darren Pattinson 7-0-62-1

Not good enough for the senior side. Not good enough for the A side. Suppose he'll get a game in the under 19s next, in a last-ditch, desperate attempt by the selectors to prove that he's not a total crapsicle and they're not incompetent to the nth degree.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary 111 Sat 16 Aug 2008, 19:58

Samit Patel is completely English - or are you one of these people who think Monty shouldn't play for England?!

Owais Shah, fair enough was born in Pakistan, but moved to England at a young age and learned his cricket here - for me he is English.

Tim Bresnan and Luke Wright's (!) economical bowling played a big part in the victory too...
Gary 111
Gary 111

Number of posts : 5717
Registration date : 2007-09-02

http://www.flamingbails.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Chivalry Augustus Sat 16 Aug 2008, 20:13

The moment you're born in England, it does not make you completely English. No doubt Samit is an Englishman, hence 'irrefutably English in upbringing' but a large part of his family remains in India. He is certainly not 'completely' English. Not that I have a problem with that, I was just making the point that much of England's talent is not exactly of English origin.
Chivalry Augustus
Chivalry Augustus

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Sat 16 Aug 2008, 20:52

What a victory
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Sat 16 Aug 2008, 20:57

Augustus wrote: No doubt Samit is an Englishman, hence 'irrefutably English in upbringing' but a large part of his family remains in India. He is certainly not 'completely' English. Not that I have a problem with that, I was just making the point that much of England's talent is not exactly of English origin.

See i'd say the other way around. I've no doubt most of his upbringing would be culturally Indian. But he's just as much a citizen of this country as you and me and would also have a British upbringing too having been born here.

It's not biggie. He's one of us, fat b'stard or not...
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Sat 16 Aug 2008, 21:01

JKLever wrote:
Augustus wrote: No doubt Samit is an Englishman, hence 'irrefutably English in upbringing' but a large part of his family remains in India. He is certainly not 'completely' English. Not that I have a problem with that, I was just making the point that much of England's talent is not exactly of English origin.

See i'd say the other way around. I've no doubt most of his upbringing would be culturally Indian. But he's just as much a citizen of this country as you and me and would also have a British upbringing too having been born here.

It's not biggie. He's one of us, fat b'stard or not...

Some thing like Pietersen you mean?
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary 111 Sat 16 Aug 2008, 21:06

Augustus wrote:The moment you're born in England, it does not make you completely English. No doubt Samit is an Englishman, hence 'irrefutably English in upbringing' but a large part of his family remains in India. He is certainly not 'completely' English. Not that I have a problem with that, I was just making the point that much of England's talent is not exactly of English origin.

Yeah, and Michael Vaughan, Steve Harmison, Alistair Cook and ever other dark haired English player is not completely English - as the original settlers of England were Celts with either blond or ginger hair. They're immigrants from central Europe, probably Germany with Angle or Norman blood. Many of their distant relatives must still live there too.

And lets not get started on white players for Australia or South Africa, or black African players for the West Indies...
Gary 111
Gary 111

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Sat 16 Aug 2008, 21:08

Gary 111 wrote:
And lets not get started on white players for Australia or South Africa, or black African players for the West Indies...

Pretty weak gary
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Chivalry Augustus Sat 16 Aug 2008, 21:13

Gary 111 wrote:
Augustus wrote:The moment you're born in England, it does not make you completely English. No doubt Samit is an Englishman, hence 'irrefutably English in upbringing' but a large part of his family remains in India. He is certainly not 'completely' English. Not that I have a problem with that, I was just making the point that much of England's talent is not exactly of English origin.

Yeah, and Michael Vaughan, Steve Harmison, Alistair Cook and ever other dark haired English player is not completely English - as the original settlers of England were Celts with either blond or ginger hair. They're immigrants from central Europe, probably Germany with Angle or Norman blood. Many of their distant relatives must still live there too.

That evolution has extended to the skin, to the blood, to the minds. We're talking about the difference between a thousand generations that have forged what is virtually a separate species, and you in your naivete have compared that to an immigrant walking into the country (in effect) and saying "Ay up lads, I'm English."

You only have to look at the Saffers and Australians and their entirely new linguistic devices to see the difference between evolution and adoption. I've nothing against foreigners coming in to the country and Englishifying themselves, that's entirely up to them. Let's not pretend that they're instantly exactly the same as us though.

For one, a lot of them are better cricketers.
Chivalry Augustus
Chivalry Augustus

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Sat 16 Aug 2008, 21:15

Augustus wrote: Let's not pretend that they're instantly exactly the same as us though.

BNP?
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary 111 Sat 16 Aug 2008, 21:16

taipan wrote:
Gary 111 wrote:

Pretty weak gary

How far back do you want do go? Does someone like Sajid Mahmood, Samit Patel, Monty Panesar, etc, who was born in England, raised in England, learned to play cricket in England, who's parents most likely lived here for the last 30 years at least - how are they not English. Do there have some inbuilt social consciousness in their genes that makes them foreign?

England is a nation of immigrants - from all over Europe for the last 2000 years and all over the British Empire. The English cricket team reflects the balance of modern Britain with Asian and Black players playing alongside White. None are any more or less English than the other.
Gary 111
Gary 111

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Sat 16 Aug 2008, 21:17

Gary 111 wrote:
How far back do you want do go? Does someone like Sajid Mahmood, Samit Patel, Monty Panesar, etc, who was born in England, raised in England, learned to play cricket in England, who's parents most likely lived here for the last 30 years at least - how are they not English. Do there have some inbuilt social consciousness in their genes that makes them foreign?

Pietersen?
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary 111 Sat 16 Aug 2008, 21:19

Augustus wrote:
Gary 111 wrote:

That evolution has extended to the skin, to the blood, to the minds. We're talking about the difference between a thousand generations that have forged what is virtually a separate species, and you in your naivete have compared that to an immigrant walking into the country (in effect) and saying "Ay up lads, I'm English."

You only have to look at the Saffers and Australians and their entirely new linguistic devices to see the difference between evolution and adoption. I've nothing against foreigners coming in to the country and Englishifying themselves, that's entirely up to them. Let's not pretend that they're instantly exactly the same as us though.

A thousand generations? 30,000 years?!

No - the English race isn't a result of evolution! Just integration.
Gary 111
Gary 111

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary 111 Sat 16 Aug 2008, 21:20

taipan wrote:
Gary 111 wrote:

Pietersen?

Well Pietersen is obviously different to the likes of Samit Patel and Monty Panesar.
Gary 111
Gary 111

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Sat 16 Aug 2008, 21:22

True
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Chivalry Augustus Sat 16 Aug 2008, 21:34

Gary 111 wrote:
Augustus wrote:
Gary 111 wrote:

A thousand generations? 30,000 years?!

No - the English race isn't a result of evolution! Just integration.

Hyperbole, perhaps, but there are Romanic traces among us, whilst those from Wales, Cornwall, Scotland and some northern reaches of England retain strong parts of their identity from a time before the Normans, the Romans and the many other invaders. In all cases, inter-breeding has seen the original Anglo blood remain to some degree. The foreigners in question are almost entirely of Indian/Saffer/Whatever descent. They're in no part Anglo. LIke I said, it doesn't matter, but how much they know about England and how English they feel or act is debatable. I don't think somebody becomes an Englishman the moment they say so is all. In the case of Samit, he's half and half.
Chivalry Augustus
Chivalry Augustus

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next