Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CSA head says McLaren chose England over SA.

2 posters

Go down

CSA head says McLaren chose England over SA. Empty CSA head says McLaren chose England over SA.

Post by Red Mon 13 Oct 2008, 22:26

South Africa: Mclaren Chose Not to Play for Proteas, Says Majola

13 October 2008
Posted to the web 13 October 2008

Mark Smit
Johannesburg

CRICKET SA's CEO, Gerald Majola, said yesterday that former Eagles all-rounder Ryan McLaren, the subject of a Kent versus SA tug of war in recent weeks, could have returned to SA if he had wanted to.

McLaren was selected to play Bangladesh last week but it was subsequently reported that Kent, the county with which McLaren has signed a contract until 2010, had refused to let him go.

McLaren was quoted as saying he was disappointed he would not be able to play for SA. But this does not appear to be the whole story.

McLaren is with Kent on a Kolpak contract and Majola confirmed yesterday that the Kolpak contract was, according to Cricket SA's legal advisers, legally unenforceable.

Cricket SA had a similar situation with Titans left-arm spinner Paul Harris, who went to England on a Kolpak deal some years ago.

The selectors wanted Harris to play for SA and, after consulting their lawyers, went ahead and selected him. Harris returned to play for SA and nothing more has been heard about his case.

It seems the only difference between the two cases is that Harris wanted to return to play for SA, while McLaren has reportedly set his heart on playing for England.

"Unfortunately, in this case, Ryan did not want to come back," Majola said, "so there was nothing we could do."

I'm glad the Aussies put native country ahead of mother country, unlike blokes such as KP and McLaren.
Red
Red

Number of posts : 17071
Registration date : 2007-10-28
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

CSA head says McLaren chose England over SA. Empty Re: CSA head says McLaren chose England over SA.

Post by Henry Tue 14 Oct 2008, 01:55

I'm glad the Aussies put native country ahead of mother country, unlike blokes such as KP and McLaren.

Martin McCague, Jason Gallian, Allan Mullally, Craig White, The Hollioake brothers.........

I wish some of those guys had stayed in Aus. McCague and Gallian in particular were dire.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

CSA head says McLaren chose England over SA. Empty Re: CSA head says McLaren chose England over SA.

Post by Red Tue 14 Oct 2008, 02:08

Henry wrote:

Martin McCague, Jason Gallian, Allan Mullally, Craig White, The Hollioake brothers.........

I wish some of those guys had stayed in Aus. McCague and Gallian in particular were dire.

There are two basic differences between those cases though.

The blokes mentioned had British family ties.

The blokes mentioned also would never have played for Australia on ability yet England was silly enough to pick them.

McLaren doesn't have British parentage.

McLaren was picked for SA.
Red
Red

Number of posts : 17071
Registration date : 2007-10-28
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down