Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Could we pick an all England-born England side?

+2
Allan D
PeterCS
6 posters

Go down

Could we pick an all England-born England side? Empty Could we pick an all England-born England side?

Post by PeterCS Sun 23 Aug 2009, 15:50

It's just a thought.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Could we pick an all England-born England side? Empty Re: Could we pick an all England-born England side?

Post by Allan D Sun 23 Aug 2009, 16:58

When did we last pick one or is that a question for the "Difficult Trivia" thread?
Allan D
Allan D

Number of posts : 6635
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Could we pick an all England-born England side? Empty Re: Could we pick an all England-born England side?

Post by Chivalry Augustus Sun 23 Aug 2009, 17:02

Shouldn't the question be 'Could we pick an all England and Wales born England and Wales side?'
Chivalry Augustus
Chivalry Augustus

Could we pick an all England-born England side? Svlx7uN

Number of posts : 4864
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Sun 23 Aug 2009, 17:03

I do remember hearing about it when it happened once this decade, and that it was the first time since the mid-80s. Must have been before KP and Strauss came into the side, so 2003 perhaps?

beamer

Number of posts : 15399
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Chivalry Augustus Sun 23 Aug 2009, 17:07

Maybe in the Windies in '04.
Chivalry Augustus
Chivalry Augustus

Could we pick an all England-born England side? Svlx7uN

Number of posts : 4864

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Sun 23 Aug 2009, 17:10

Nasser Hussain can't have been playing either.

beamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Allan D Sun 23 Aug 2009, 17:31

By my reckoning, England last fielded an all-England born side in the 6th Test v. India at Kanpur which ebnded 4 February 1982 when the side was as follows:

G.A.Gooch
C.J.Tavare
K.W.R.Fletcher (capt.).
D.I.Gower
I.T.Botham
M.W.Gatting
G.R.Dilley
R.W.Taylor (wktkpr.).
J.E.Emburey
D.L.Underwood
R.G.D.Willis
Allan D
Allan D

Back to top Go down

Post by The One Sun 23 Aug 2009, 17:33

damn!

The One

Number of posts : 9035

Back to top Go down

Post by Allan D Sun 23 Aug 2009, 17:36

beamer wrote:I do remember hearing about it when it happened once this decade, and that it was the first time since the mid-80s. Must have been before KP and Strauss came into the side, so 2003 perhaps?

Looked at the matches v. Australia in 2001 when Hussain was injured and Atherton captained but Caddick (b.Christchurch) played.
Allan D
Allan D

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Sun 23 Aug 2009, 17:41

Think this is the one I remember. The Oval 2003 v SA - classic series-levelling win after conceding 480 first up.

Trescothick, Vaughan, Butcher, Thorpe, E Smith, Stewart, Flintoff, Giles, Bicknell, Harmison, Anderson. Any imports in that?

beamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Allan D Sun 23 Aug 2009, 17:44

beamer wrote:Think this is the one I remember. The Oval 2003 v SA - classic series-levelling win after conceding 480 first up.

Trescothick, Vaughan, Butcher, Thorpe, E Smith, Stewart, Flintoff, Giles, Bicknell, Harmison, Anderson. Any imports in that?

Nope, not that I can see - no Celts either (lol). Topped me again, Beamer. Mad
Allan D
Allan D

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Sun 23 Aug 2009, 18:00

Another challenge for you, have England ever selected a team where less than half were English-born? I've got absolutely no idea whether that has ever happened, though there's a fair chance we will be fielding four SA-born players in the top six over there this winter!

beamer

Back to top Go down

Post by WideWally Sun 23 Aug 2009, 18:27

Most of the teams that played for a few years starting with the 1989/90 series in the Windies would have at least 6 born overseas & there might have been 7 during the 1991 series vs the Windies, 91/92 in New Zealand & 1992 vs Pakistan.
WideWally
WideWally

Number of posts : 9699
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down