Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

India v Australia, 4th Test, Nagpur, Nov 6-10

+39
OP Tipping
Bradman
doctorspin
Chivalry Augustus
ten years after
prasad14
*Buckaroo*
Merlin
Clutch
furriner
philcric
DJ_Smerk
Paul Keating
SG
noelene
Nath
embee
The One
Brass Monkey
taipan
JKLever
tac
PlanetPakistan
Para Batsman
Josh Carney
horace
Ross
G.Wood
lardbucket
Batman
Basil
Chandan
jim rich
Red
JGK
Fred Nerk
doremi
skully
Henry
43 posters

Page 1 of 40 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next

Go down

India v Australia, 4th Test, Nagpur, Nov 6-10 Empty India v Australia, 4th Test, Nagpur, Nov 6-10

Post by Henry Sun 02 Nov 2008, 10:49

So, assuming that Gambhir's appeal is rejected, who opens the batting for India? My guess would be Akash Chopra as a safe, one off option. Unless they decide to open with Dravid and bring Badrinath in at six. Otherwise, Harbhajan should be fit again, and he will do the spinning duties with Amit Mishra. Rahul Dravid will be playing for his test spot. There is no doubt about that. Actually, i've got a sneaking suspicion that he may retire as well at the end of this test, especially if he doesn't make runs.

India-

Chopra
Sehwag
Dravid
Tendulkar
Laxman
Ganguly
Dhoni (c)+
Harbhajan
Zaheer
Mishra
Ishant

For Australia, Cameron White is likely to make way for Jason Krejza. Could be like replacing one flat tyre with another, really. Apart from that, they will be unchanged.

Australia-

Hayden
Katich
Ponting(c)
M.Hussey
Clarke
Watson
Haddin+
Lee
Johnson
Krejza
Clark
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

India v Australia, 4th Test, Nagpur, Nov 6-10 Empty Re: India v Australia, 4th Test, Nagpur, Nov 6-10

Post by skully Sun 02 Nov 2008, 10:54

A fair sum up, Trev. I guess a dustbowl is predictable. With Aus still capable of retaining the AB-Sunny with a win, it is highly unlikely a sporting wicket will be served up.

And surely Dravid can see the writing on the Wall? It's quite sad watching a once great player struggling so lamely.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105981
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

India v Australia, 4th Test, Nagpur, Nov 6-10 Empty Re: India v Australia, 4th Test, Nagpur, Nov 6-10

Post by doremi Sun 02 Nov 2008, 12:23

Wow, the first post-Kumble test. Hope we win, though it would be just like the stupid Aussies to win the B-G back at Nagpur. Qunts.

The series is 3 tests old and no dustbowls yet, so doubt we'll see one there. There's going to be another flattie in Nagpur probably.

Jaffer probably comes in if Gambhir doesn't make it. Patel or Dhawan may be possibilities as well, don't think Chopra's in the running. Hoping Jaffer isn't picked.
doremi
doremi

Number of posts : 9743
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Sun 02 Nov 2008, 12:26

Sunil Gavaskar thinks that Cheteshwar Pujara should make his debut. Personally I think he's not quite ready yet. and it would be unfair to blood a youngster for just one test. Especially a test as important as this one.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Nerk Sun 02 Nov 2008, 12:44

Does he have a brother called Mitsubishi?

Last edited by Fred Nerk on Sun 02 Nov 2008, 12:51; edited 1 time in total

Fred Nerk

Number of posts : 8821
Registration date : 2007-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Sun 02 Nov 2008, 12:47

I think we all know that Gambhir is going to get off or at least arrange to play while the appeal is heard after the 4th test.

If he doesn't play however, I'd pt Dravid at opener, VVS at 3 and bring in Rohit.

As much as I don't like giving Baggy Greens away to no hopers, Crazier would be a better bowling option than YT.

Still can't see Aust taking 20 wickets though. There's no way the pitch will be anything other than a highway like Delhi. Great for batting records for retiring legends, sh1t for the sport.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Sun 02 Nov 2008, 12:51

JGK wrote:Still can't see Aust taking 20 wickets though. There's no way the pitch will be anything other than a highway like Delhi. Great for batting records for retiring legends, sh1t for the sport Aussie's chances

....Is what you really mean.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Sun 02 Nov 2008, 12:53

Both obviously.

But you can't believe these sort of pitches is doing anyone any favours in the long run (least of all the India batsmen).

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Sun 02 Nov 2008, 12:57

Mohali was equally flat. India just bowled worse and Aus batted better here.

I can't remember Indian pitches ever being anything other than flatties with some turn from day 3 onwards, tbh.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Sun 02 Nov 2008, 13:08

I said during the second test that I expect the Indian curators to close down the series and ensure and Indan win and the Delhi test did nothing to change my mind.

The last news I heard about Gambhir was that his appeal was likely to take seven days to organise and so he could play the next test and then it's expected his suspension may be downgraded to two ODIs.

I believe we come out of this test slightly stronger than India because of our fightback, a bit like in Bangalore where India claimed the 'moral' victory after facing defeat at one stage.

The spinning conundrum remains though.
Red
Red

Number of posts : 17071
Registration date : 2007-10-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Sun 02 Nov 2008, 13:10

Like i said before, Bangalore and Mohali were equally flat pitches. It's not like the Delhi pitch was so much flatter than the first 2 tests. Look at the scoreboards. Or is it too hard to accept that India thoroughly outplayed Aus in Mohali, whilst both teams struggled to bowl each other out in Dehli?

I can't see how Aus can clain a moral victory when india made over 600 in the first innings.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Sun 02 Nov 2008, 13:22

Well Henry, I think India might have thought they had it in the bag after making over 600 but we fought back with the bat and demonstrated improvement with the ball. India got ragged in the field at times and seemed to lose the psychological stranglehold they had over us somewhat. That's not to say we go in as favourites but our position has improved. You also wonder if the fact that Laxman plays his 100th test in Nagpur, Kumble will be watching over them in the dressingroom and Ganguly plays his final test will all add up to distractions that India doesn't need.
Red
Red

Number of posts : 17071
Registration date : 2007-10-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Sun 02 Nov 2008, 13:24

Meh. At the end of the day, Aus's main spinner will still be Jason Krejza. shrug
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by jim rich Sun 02 Nov 2008, 13:51

Red wrote:The last news I heard about Gambhir was that his appeal was likely to take seven days to organise and so he could play the next test and then it's expected his suspension may be downgraded to two ODIs.

I believe we come out of this test slightly stronger than India because of our fightback, a bit like in Bangalore where India claimed the 'moral' victory after facing defeat at one stage.

Correct. However, and as far as I know, the suspension gets activated for the next test, failing which it is to be applied to the next 2 ODIs. As per the statutes 1 Test = 2 ODIs so there can be no question of downgrading. Getting a decision on an appeal within 3 days is just impossible and has never happened before. Remember the adjudicator has to come from South Africa.

I can't remember India claiming any moral victories after Bangalore. A reliable link would help.

jim rich

Number of posts : 829
Registration date : 2008-09-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Chandan Sun 02 Nov 2008, 14:08

Red wrote:I said during the second test that I expect the Indian curators to close down the series and ensure and Indan win and the Delhi test did nothing to change my mind.

The last news I heard about Gambhir was that his appeal was likely to take seven days to organise and so he could play the next test and then it's expected his suspension may be downgraded to two ODIs.

The spinning conundrum remains though.

Indian curators aren't that smart anyway.

Nagpur is a virgin track where no matches have been played. In fact I can't even remember any FC match played there after it was relaid. So it is an unknown commodity. Let us just hope that pitch has settled down by now.

Chandan

Number of posts : 1780
Registration date : 2007-09-01
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Sun 02 Nov 2008, 14:14

Henry wrote:Mohali was equally flat. India just bowled worse and Aus batted better here.

I can't remember Indian pitches ever being anything other than flatties with some turn from day 3 onwards, tbh.

You know a pitch in India is seriously flat if it only turns from day 3.
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936

Back to top Go down

Post by Batman Sun 02 Nov 2008, 14:43

Henry wrote:Sunil Gavaskar thinks that Cheteshwar Pujara should make his debut. Personally I think he's not quite ready yet. and it would be unfair to blood a youngster for just one test. Especially a test as important as this one.

Pujara has scored 2 back to back 300s this season just last couple of weeks. With patience and temparament as his strengths, he is every bit ready for the test especially in a home series where there is familiarity of conditions. I think he will be Dravid's replacement for India, though not sure if it will be at number 3 yet. I think come test we will know where Dravid stands. Either way with Ganguly's slot open, Pujara could be given a home debut against the Pommies and Dravid could be dropped down at Ganguly's place if he is retained by the selectors.
Batman
Batman

Number of posts : 8881
Registration date : 2007-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Batman Sun 02 Nov 2008, 14:45

If Gambhir doesn't play, I can see Jaffar getting a cue ahead of Chopra as a stop gap based on his experience and his big scoring abilities on home turf at least.
Batman
Batman

Number of posts : 8881
Registration date : 2007-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Sun 02 Nov 2008, 21:11

Jaffer seems more likely than Chopra, who they seem to have discarded permanently.

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38123

Back to top Go down

Post by G.Wood Sun 02 Nov 2008, 22:39

JGK wrote:

As much as I don't like giving Baggy Greens away to no hopers, Crazier would be a better bowling option than YT.

Still can't see Aust taking 20 wickets though. There's no way the pitch will be anything other than a highway like Delhi. Great for batting records for retiring legends, sh1t for the sport.

Is it impossible that the NSP would go with both Crazy and YT?

Clark has been pretty toothless (although relatively tight) and at least we can rely on YT to get his bunny - SRT.
G.Wood
G.Wood

Number of posts : 12070
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

Post by Ross Sun 02 Nov 2008, 22:48

YT > T
Ross
Ross

Number of posts : 1033
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by G.Wood Sun 02 Nov 2008, 23:04

Some things are self evident
G.Wood
G.Wood

Number of posts : 12070
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Mon 03 Nov 2008, 04:47

Batman wrote:
Henry wrote:Sunil Gavaskar thinks that Cheteshwar Pujara should make his debut. Personally I think he's not quite ready yet. and it would be unfair to blood a youngster for just one test. Especially a test as important as this one.

Pujara has scored 2 back to back 300s this season just last couple of weeks. With patience and temparament as his strengths, he is every bit ready for the test especially in a home series where there is familiarity of conditions. I think he will be Dravid's replacement for India, though not sure if it will be at number 3 yet. I think come test we will know where Dravid stands. Either way with Ganguly's slot open, Pujara could be given a home debut against the Pommies and Dravid could be dropped down at Ganguly's place if he is retained by the selectors.

Dravid really needs a century in this test, otherwise the axe will be looming. He averages 34 in his last 22 tests. Take away Bangladesh and he averages 30. It really is VERY poor for a batsman of his class.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Mon 03 Nov 2008, 05:12

dravid shd stay...he'll come good as soon as gangles is out of the team
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by Josh Carney Mon 03 Nov 2008, 05:30

The Indian fielding is a real worry. The dad's army look keeps surfacing repeatedly and cannot be ignored.

Josh Carney

Number of posts : 1751

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 40 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next