Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jones admits that career could be over.

+4
Basil
embee
Henry
Red
8 posters

Go down

Jones admits that career could be over. Empty Jones admits that career could be over.

Post by Red Sun 02 Nov 2008, 13:04

Jones: My Career May Be Over
November 02 2008

England paceman Simon Jones has admitted that there is a possibility that his career may be over after undergoing surgery on his knee - for the third time in less than three years.

Jones's injury woes began 2002 when he ruptured an anterior cruciate ligament whilst sliding to field a ball during the first Test against Australia in Brisbane. That injury kept him on the sidelines for 15 months, but that was by no means the end of the Welshman's injury heartache.

During the fourth Ashes Test in 2005 Jones suffered an ankle injury that forced him out of the fifth Test as well as England's winter tour to Pakistan.

He was back in contention for the 2006 tour to India, but whilst practicing in the nets with his England teammates he injured his ankle and was ruled-out of the tour. A few months later on his return to action he broke down with another knee injury which required surgery.

The year 2008 saw Jones move to Worcestershire where he enjoyed a very successful season that saw him included in England's 30-man squad for the Champions Trophy, and prompted talk of a Test call-up, before the injury boogie struck again.

The 29-year-old now faces another spell on the sidelines after his third round of knee surgery, but is trying to remain up-beat about the future.

"The surgeon was happy," Jones told The Independent.

"You can never be 100 per cent [but] I'm 80 to 90 per cent sure you'll be fine - you are always going to have 10 or 20 per cent [likelihood that you won't play again]."

"When I came back from the cruciate, I was given a 70 per cent chance. So, when he came back and said 80 to 90, I'm laughing."

Jones still feels his has a lot to offer the national side.

"I'll always back myself," he said. "I know if I can bowl at the top of my game I can get in that side."

On the back of Ryan Sidebottom's injury, Jones was one of those mentioned as a possible replacement for the Second Test against South Africa at Headingley, but Darren Pattinson was preferred.

"I heard I was close," said Jones. "I was as shocked as anyone when Pattinson got called up. For myself, Hoggard and Steve Harmison, all the boys who had been busting their balls, it was a shock to the system."

Jones is optimistic that had he not suffered another injury he would have been part of England's plan for the upcoming tour to India.

"There's a very good chance I would have gone on the India tour."

Having England captain Kevin Pietersen as the Godfather of your son certainly can't harm ones chances.

"One thing I've said to Kev is, 'I don't want you to push my case because we're good mates'."

The barrage of injuries have helped Jones find focus in life and have promoted thoughts regarding his life after the game.

"The kids have calmed me down. You realise what's important in life."

"You have to think about it. I'm planning to do a fitness instructor's course and I'll do media training. You see the money the boys are earning with Sky. I am interested in presenting or punditry. If you get training, there's options."
Red
Red

Number of posts : 17071
Registration date : 2007-10-28
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Jones admits that career could be over. Empty Re: Jones admits that career could be over.

Post by Red Sun 02 Nov 2008, 13:04

Sounds like there could be a bit of nepotism on the horizon if he recovers.
Red
Red

Number of posts : 17071
Registration date : 2007-10-28

Back to top Go down

Jones admits that career could be over. Empty Re: Jones admits that career could be over.

Post by Henry Sun 02 Nov 2008, 13:06

I wish him the best of luck, but I doubt we'll see him in an England shirt again. What might have been....
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Sun 02 Nov 2008, 13:44

meanwhile... Dean Jones announces he is still available for selection
embee
embee

Number of posts : 26212
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Sun 02 Nov 2008, 13:46

Apparently Greg Matthews is fit and raring to go if Australia want another spinning option in India. I honestly think he would be a better bet than any of the 'spinners' there at the molment. Still picks up Sydney first grade wickets on a regular basis......
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891
Registration date : 2007-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Sun 02 Nov 2008, 14:07

So, at the moment, Jonah is more likely than not to play again. I'll settle for that.
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Sun 02 Nov 2008, 17:03

Should have played at Leeds this year. Was fit and taking wickets.

Instead we picked an Aussie impostor.
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Sun 02 Nov 2008, 17:13

JKLever wrote:Should have played at Leeds this year. Was fit and taking wickets.

Instead we picked an Aussie impostor.

Worcs. had two bowlers who should have been picked before Whatshisface.

Don't get me started!
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936

Back to top Go down

Post by PlanetPakistan Sun 02 Nov 2008, 18:45

that sucks!
PlanetPakistan
PlanetPakistan

Number of posts : 10285
Registration date : 2008-02-06
Flag/Background : pak

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Sun 02 Nov 2008, 21:03

Too many injuries. He was probably fortunate to make it back in 2005 ...

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38101

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Sun 02 Nov 2008, 21:09

lardbucket wrote:Too many injuries. He was probably fortunate to make it back in 2005 ...

Yeah, England did well to get 3 1/2 games out of him.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Number of posts : 26195
Registration date : 2007-08-03
Flag/Background : fra

http://www.flamingbails.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by PlanetPakistan Sun 02 Nov 2008, 22:01

England's Zahid?
PlanetPakistan
PlanetPakistan

Number of posts : 10285
Registration date : 2008-02-06
Flag/Background : pak

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 03 Nov 2008, 18:54

Dello wrote:
lardbucket wrote:Too many injuries. He was probably fortunate to make it back in 2005 ...

Yeah, England did well to get 3 1/2 games out of him.

1/2 a game more than Aus managed to get out of McGrath.

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Mon 03 Nov 2008, 20:11

But 504 wickets less...
LeFromage
LeFromage

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 03 Nov 2008, 21:09

I'm sure McG didn't get 504 wickets in one Ashes series.

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Mon 03 Nov 2008, 22:04

Just seemed like it.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down