Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Falling out of love with Cricket...

+18
furriner
LeFromage
Eric Air Emu
Big_Bad_Bob
tac
Brass Monkey
Basil
doremi
skully
Ross
Invader Zim
taipan
Merlin
Chivalry Augustus
PlanetPakistan
DJ_Smerk
*Buckaroo*
JKLever
22 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Falling out of love with Cricket... Empty Falling out of love with Cricket...

Post by Guest Fri 28 Nov 2008, 18:14

It's very strange but just this last year or so I have found myself watching less and less cricket and spending less time reading about it and checking scores and I haven't been to a game since early 2006. I know life gets in the way sometimes but this is a real lean spell for me and for some reason I seem to be going off cricket and losing interest in whats happening.

I don't know if it's cause I am getting older or the way the game is going or the fact that Warne, McGrath and Gilly have all recently retired! But I am really losing interest...

Anyone else ever felt the same?? confused No

Back to top Go down

Falling out of love with Cricket... Empty Re: Falling out of love with Cricket...

Post by JKLever Fri 28 Nov 2008, 18:20

Happens all the time for me with Football & Cricket...
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Falling out of love with Cricket... Empty Re: Falling out of love with Cricket...

Post by *Buckaroo* Fri 28 Nov 2008, 18:26

If Ganguly or Dravid were captaining I wouldn't have given a crap for cricket myself.

the game needs its fast bowlers or entertainers.
sooks like Ponting drag everything down with them.
*Buckaroo*
*Buckaroo*

Number of posts : 4771
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : wi

http://exc4cricket.forum-motion.com/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ_Smerk Fri 28 Nov 2008, 18:35

Cricket will always be my favourite sport.
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Number of posts : 15938
Registration date : 2007-09-08
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 28 Nov 2008, 18:36

JKLever wrote:Happens all the time for me with Football & Cricket...

To what level did it get?

Did you stop watching whole series' involving England? And being not bothered about seeing the scores other than hearing the result?

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Fri 28 Nov 2008, 18:41

Sans Souci wrote:
JKLever wrote:Happens all the time for me with Football & Cricket...

To what level did it get?

Did you stop watching whole series' involving England? And being not bothered about seeing the scores other than hearing the result?

Yeah, football especially - infact I rarely watch an England international.

I guess watching/talking about sport very much depends on what else you've got happening in your life (says he with 11k posts)
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by PlanetPakistan Fri 28 Nov 2008, 18:53

Sans Souci wrote:It's very strange but just this last year or so I have found myself watching less and less cricket and spending less time reading about it and checking scores and I haven't been to a game since early 2006. I know life gets in the way sometimes but this is a real lean spell for me and for some reason I seem to be going off cricket and losing interest in whats happening.

I don't know if it's cause I am getting older or the way the game is going or the fact that Warne, McGrath and Gilly have all recently retired! But I am really losing interest...

caused by the absence of Pakistan? Smile
PlanetPakistan
PlanetPakistan

Number of posts : 10285
Registration date : 2008-02-06
Flag/Background : pak

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 28 Nov 2008, 18:56

I completely lost touch with cricket when I had my son. Had been a huge fan since I was about 16. Can't really understand how I let it happen, but like JKL said, other things and priorities take over. Ironically, it was his interest in it, when he was old enough to appreciate it, that renewed mine.

Back to top Go down

Post by PlanetPakistan Fri 28 Nov 2008, 19:32

i have been a fan since the age of 5 and have never lost touch with cricket.

does that mean that i need a life?
PlanetPakistan
PlanetPakistan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 28 Nov 2008, 20:16

Ive only ever lost touch when Ive lost Sky for various reasons.

I cant imagine me ever not loving cricket, despite the fact that i know only one other person who has even a passing like for the game.

Back to top Go down

Post by Chivalry Augustus Fri 28 Nov 2008, 20:33

I'll always love cricket, football too. I've been an addict of the latter for 12 years and never lost touch, and the former for 5 years; again, without ever losing touch. There's something profound about cricket and I love thinking about it, dreaming about it and writing about it in a way I simply cannot with anything else. I've discovered a romanticism about the game that renders a lot of other things insignificant in comparison, and I appreciate that that makes me a very sad and dour person indeed. Nevertheless, I shall continue to rationalise my thoughts and offer my opinions on the greatest of all sports till kingdom come, because I'm that sort of obsessive person.
Chivalry Augustus
Chivalry Augustus

Falling out of love with Cricket... Svlx7uN

Number of posts : 4864
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Fri 28 Nov 2008, 20:40

Falling out of love with Cricket...

... will never happen here.

Unless of course a certain tyke ....... innocent

Merlin

Number of posts : 14718
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : afg

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 28 Nov 2008, 20:42

Augustus wrote:I'll always love cricket, football too. I've been an addict of the latter for 12 years and never lost touch, and the former for 5 years; again, without ever losing touch. There's something profound about cricket and I love thinking about it, dreaming about it and writing about it in a way I simply cannot with anything else. I've discovered a romanticism about the game that renders a lot of other things insignificant in comparison, and I appreciate that that makes me a very sad and dour person indeed. Nevertheless, I shall continue to rationalise my thoughts and offer my opinions on the greatest of all sports till kingdom come, because I'm that sort of obsessive person.

I would have to agree, even if it makes me also sad and dour.

I only really began to love football as well when I went to see Wycombe Wanderers (home town team) at Adams Park. There is so much to be said for lower league football, even though it is rarely seen on TV. I've always supported Arsenal, but the Chairboys are much more 'real.'

Back to top Go down

Post by PlanetPakistan Fri 28 Nov 2008, 20:44

Clamson wrote:
Augustus wrote:I'll always love cricket, football too. I've been an addict of the latter for 12 years and never lost touch, and the former for 5 years; again, without ever losing touch. There's something profound about cricket and I love thinking about it, dreaming about it and writing about it in a way I simply cannot with anything else. I've discovered a romanticism about the game that renders a lot of other things insignificant in comparison, and I appreciate that that makes me a very sad and dour person indeed. Nevertheless, I shall continue to rationalise my thoughts and offer my opinions on the greatest of all sports till kingdom come, because I'm that sort of obsessive person.

same here...
PlanetPakistan
PlanetPakistan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 28 Nov 2008, 20:45

PlanetPakistan wrote:
Clamson wrote:

same here...

You just dont get the same kind of intensity and player vs. player and the whole mental as well as physical aspect that you do with cricket in any other sport.

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Fri 28 Nov 2008, 20:56

You just dont get the same kind of intensity and player vs. player and the whole mental as well as physical aspect that you do with cricket in any other sport.

Kinda like sex really!

My only gripe about cricket is the petty bickering and Ronaldoesque theatrics that are so predominant by a growing number of 'professionals' in the game today, and sadly I see this filtering down to club and colt level.

Merlin

Number of posts : 14718
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : afg

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 28 Nov 2008, 21:02

Merlin wrote:

Kinda like sex really!

My only gripe about cricket is the petty bickering and Ronaldoesque theatrics that are so predominant by a growing number of 'professionals' in the game today, and sadly I see this filtering down to club and colt level.

I wouldnt know, I am avowedly celibate... (j/k)

They need to nip it in the bud now, because they didnt do it with football and now cheating, diving, pestering the referee and general misdemeanors are so endemic that its now part of the game. I would HATE to see cricket tread the same path.

Need to take the same approach as rugby. Talk back? Get the f*ck off the pitch sonny, and dont come back. Plus, if caught diving, I suspect the rugby players team mates would barrack them relentlessly for being a pussy.

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Sat 29 Nov 2008, 08:32

I think the problem is that there is just too much cricket.

I could hardly bother to switch on the TV for the Bangles games
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by Invader Zim Sat 29 Nov 2008, 08:40

Sans Souci wrote:It's very strange but just this last year or so I have found myself watching less and less cricket and spending less time reading about it and checking scores and I haven't been to a game since early 2006. I know life gets in the way sometimes but this is a real lean spell for me and for some reason I seem to be going off cricket and losing interest in whats happening.

Aye, must admit the same here...I had assumed it was just down to so many series involving subis.
Invader Zim
Invader Zim

Number of posts : 6396
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Sat 29 Nov 2008, 08:43

Invader Zim wrote:Aye, must admit the same here...I had assumed it was just down to so many series involving subis.

Subi's play cricket?

I must have those games on ignore.
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by Ross Sat 29 Nov 2008, 10:57

I've got to agree with VoR. Ouch?

Cricket hasn't been the same for me since the Sydney Test last season. What should have been remembered as one of the most memorable Tests in history was ruined by all the bitching and blackmail that happened afterwards. I'm not overly interested in international cricket these days unless YT or Token are involved. It took me about 45 minutes this morning to remember there was a Test being played.

At least state cricket hasn't been tainted yet.
Ross
Ross

Number of posts : 1033

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Sat 29 Nov 2008, 10:59

I have loved cricket since I was about 10 and while the "meh" factor can increase when your team is not performing, I still remain passionate about the great game.

Last edited by skully on Sat 29 Nov 2008, 11:00; edited 1 time in total
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105947
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Sat 29 Nov 2008, 10:59

taipan wrote:
Invader Zim wrote:Aye, must admit the same here...I had assumed it was just down to so many series involving subis.

Subi's play cricket?

I must have those games on ignore.
[snorfle]

Ban India.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105947
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by doremi Sat 29 Nov 2008, 11:16

Happened with me for club football. Didn't miss a game from EPL, SPL or the CL. If I couldn't watch it live, I watched the highlights. It's been over a year since I've watched a club match with any real interest, except a few CL matches.
doremi
doremi

Number of posts : 9743
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Sun 30 Nov 2008, 00:09

How can you fall out of love with the game?

Yes, you can be pissed off with the politics, and you can get annoyed with the behaviour of some players from time to time.

But to lose an affinity with the game?
To think it's not the finest sport ever invented?

Not a bloody chance.
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next