Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gold medal winning athlete in drugs shocker...

+12
Josh Carney
Invader Zim
tac
The One
lardbucket
JGK
skully
PearlJ
Zat
JKLever
HH_pink
LeFromage
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Gold medal winning athlete in drugs shocker... Empty Gold medal winning athlete in drugs shocker...

Post by LeFromage Fri 05 Oct 2007, 23:16

Track star Marion Jones pleads guilty to lying to federal investigators about steroid use

By JIM FITZGERALD, Associated Press Writer
October 5, 2007

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. (AP) -- For years, Marion Jones angrily denied using steroids. On Friday, she admitted it was all a lie.

The three-time Olympic gold medalist pleaded guilty to lying to federal investigators when she denied using performance-enhancing drugs, and announced her retirement after the hearing. Jones also pleaded guilty to a second count of lying to investigators about her association with a check-fraud scheme.

Outside the courthouse, Jones broke down in tears as she apologized for her actions, saying she fully understands she has disappointed her friends, family and supporters.

"I have let them down. I have let my country down, and I have let myself down," she said. "It is with a great amount of shame that I stand before you and tell you I have betrayed your trust.

"I recognize that by saying I'm deeply sorry, it might not be enough and sufficient to address the pain and hurt that I've caused you. Therefore, I want to ask for your forgiveness for my actions, and I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me."

In court, Jones, seated at the defense table and speaking in a clear voice through a microphone, said she lied to a federal investigator in November 2003 when he asked if she had used performance-enhancing drugs.

"I answered that I had not. This was a lie, your honor," she said.

Jones said she took steroids from September 2000 to July 2001 and said she was told by her then-coach Trevor Graham that she was taking flaxseed oil when it was actually "the clear."

"By November 2003, I realized he was giving me performance-enhancing drugs," she told the judge.

She said she "felt different, trained more intensely" and experienced "faster recovery and better times" while using the substance.

"He told me to put it under my tongue for a few seconds and swallow it," she said. "He told me not to tell anyone."

It was a stunning fall from grace for Jones, once the most celebrated female athlete in the world. She captivated the country with the audacious goal of winning five gold medals at the Sydney Olympics. Though she fell short -- three golds but two bronzes -- her charm and winsome smile made her a star.

Seven years later, she is broke, her reputation is ruined and she is looking at prison time. Prosecutors have suggested to Jones that the prison term will be a maximum of six months, although the judge has the discretion to change that. The maximum sentence on each count is five years and a $250,000 fine.

Jones was released on her own recognizance and was due back in court Jan. 11 for sentencing.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Number of posts : 26195
Registration date : 2007-08-03
Flag/Background : fra

http://www.flamingbails.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Gold medal winning athlete in drugs shocker... Empty Re: Gold medal winning athlete in drugs shocker...

Post by HH_pink Fri 05 Oct 2007, 23:31

tumbleweed
HH_pink
HH_pink

Gold medal winning athlete in drugs shocker... APSeEpm

Number of posts : 3353
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Gold medal winning athlete in drugs shocker... Empty Re: Gold medal winning athlete in drugs shocker...

Post by JKLever Fri 05 Oct 2007, 23:33

Coaches are as much to blame as the athletes...
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Fri 05 Oct 2007, 23:39

Yeah, the way they force those pills down their throat...

"He told me to put it under my tongue for a few seconds and swallow it," she said. "He told me not to tell anyone."

Doesn't sound dodgy at all. Why would she be suspicious?

It's not like she then "felt different, trained more intensely" and experienced "faster recovery and better times" as a result.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Fri 05 Oct 2007, 23:43

Well quite, but you know what I mean - coaches should be there to make sure athletes resist temptation. Not encourage it.
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Fri 05 Oct 2007, 23:48

But the coaches all take the stance that "everyone else is doing it, so we'd be suckers not to".

After all, it's all about winning. And Marion Jones managed to go through her entire career taking performance-enhancing drugs without failing a drugs test (it's only the Federal investigation into Balco that has flagged her name), which would suggest that the risks to getting caught are slim enough to make cheating a worthwhile pursuit.

I imagine it's the default position for all athletes.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Sat 06 Oct 2007, 01:35

So when will Barry Bonds come 'clean'?

Zat

Number of posts : 28872
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by PearlJ Sat 06 Oct 2007, 01:40

Zat wrote:So when will Barry Bonds come 'clean'?

The same day Murali admits to chucking.
PearlJ
PearlJ

Gold medal winning athlete in drugs shocker... ZY4L4DZ

Number of posts : 3599
Registration date : 2007-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Sat 06 Oct 2007, 01:48

PearlJ wrote:

Murali chucks? Really?

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by PearlJ Sat 06 Oct 2007, 01:54

Zat wrote:
PearlJ wrote:

Murali chucks? Really?

You must find this out for yourself.
PearlJ
PearlJ

Gold medal winning athlete in drugs shocker... ZY4L4DZ

Number of posts : 3599
Registration date : 2007-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Sat 06 Oct 2007, 04:26

Fark, I'm sick of farkin cheats. No surprise at all about Jones. She used to accelerate away from the pack just as FloJo did. And this bull that she didn't know what her coach was giving her is such a pile of carp. And she didn't take anything beyond 2001? Bullcarp.

Strip the b!tch of all the gold medals she's won.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105982
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Sat 06 Oct 2007, 04:44

PearlJ wrote:

If Murali gets the record this summer - it is up to Brisbane and Tozzie fans to hold up big * signs whenever he takes a wicket.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Sat 06 Oct 2007, 05:03

PearlJ wrote:
Zat wrote:
PearlJ wrote:

Murali chucks? Really?

That's very Zen. Or Yoda. Not sure which.

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Sat 06 Oct 2007, 06:10

skully wrote:Fark, I'm sick of farkin cheats. No surprise at all about Jones. She used to accelerate away from the pack just as FloJo did. And this bull that she didn't know what her coach was giving her is such a pile of carp. And she didn't take anything beyond 2001? Bullcarp.

Strip the b!tch of all the gold medals she's won.

Should be added that she was married to a US shot-putter, CJ Hunter, who failed a drugs test and was banned.

She divorced him and married US sprinter Tim Montgomery, who went on to break the 100m world record - and then get banned for failing a drugs test.

It's bit rich to play the blissfully ignorant card, I think. She's been around drug cheats for enough time to know what's what.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Sat 06 Oct 2007, 07:33

Zat wrote:
PearlJ wrote:
Zat wrote:
PearlJ wrote:

Murali chucks? Really?

That's very Zen. Or Yoda. Not sure which.

'You must find this out for yourself' Zen
'This must you yourself outfind' Yoda
'For this find you must out yourself' Rock Hudson's immunologist

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38123
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by The One Sat 06 Oct 2007, 07:48

right. doesnt sound suspicious at all in a sport full of cases of doping

is this better than warne's defence?

The One

Number of posts : 9035

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Sat 06 Oct 2007, 10:24

The only surprise about Warnie being bought up on this thread is that it wasn't Trev that did it.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105982

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Tue 09 Oct 2007, 05:53

Jones has returned her olympic medals . . .
tac
tac

Number of posts : 19270
Flag/Background : pon

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Tue 09 Oct 2007, 05:56

tac wrote:Jones has returned her olympic medals . . .

Will be interesting to see what the IOC do next given that the Greek girl who came second in the 100m is also a drug cheat.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by Invader Zim Tue 09 Oct 2007, 05:59

Give the medals to Warnie.
Invader Zim
Invader Zim

Number of posts : 6396
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

Post by Josh Carney Tue 09 Oct 2007, 06:01

How much are sports like athletics / cycling / swimming really drug free ?

Some estimates are that it is as low as 30 - 40 %. Those must be the ones who don't make it past the heats !!
These kind of recurring revelations from the top winners will slowly kill these sports at the highest level.

Josh Carney

Number of posts : 1751
Registration date : 2007-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Ross Tue 09 Oct 2007, 06:01

She's not the only one. Her relay teammates have been asked to as well.
Ross
Ross

Number of posts : 1033

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Tue 09 Oct 2007, 06:03

Ross wrote:
She's not the only one. Her relay teammates have been asked to as well.

That's gotta hurt!

So do the weagles give back their winners medals from 2006 since Juddy tested positive?
tac
tac

Number of posts : 19270
Flag/Background : pon

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Tue 09 Oct 2007, 07:19

tac wrote:
So do the weagles give back their winners medals from 2006 since Juddy tested positive?
Juddy tested positive? What to? Being the best player in the league? Maybe you mean Cousins...?

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by Invader Zim Tue 09 Oct 2007, 07:20

When did any Eagles player test postive?
Invader Zim
Invader Zim

Number of posts : 6396
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next