Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AB doesn't want the gloves.

2 posters

Go down

AB doesn't want the gloves. Empty AB doesn't want the gloves.

Post by Red Fri 13 Feb 2009, 05:11

So maybe it won't be an option to replace Boucher with him.

I think Duminy might have more chance of becoming the best batsman in the world than him though.

AB does not want the gloves

Altus Momberg

Cape Town. – “I can’t keep wicket if I want to become the best batsman in the world.”
That is how AB de Villiers explained his decision not to want to become Mark Boucher’s long-term successor.

De Villiers has been viewed as a logical successor to Boucher ever since he played his first few tests in 2004/05. He said yesterday he had discussed the matter with Proteas coach Mickey Arthur.

“Mickey asked me how I see my future. Do you want to be the best batsman in the world or a wicketkeeper with a batting average of 35?

“It’s not difficult to answer that question. I want to make it clear, however, that I will not say no if South Africa want me to keep wicket.

“If it’s in the team’s best interests that I should player as wicketkeeper, I will do it. My preference would be to concentrate on my batting.”

The 24-year-old right-hander was one of the Proteas’ heroes in the recent test and one-day series victories in Australia.

His unbeaten 108 in the fourth innings of the test in Perth helped the Proteas pull off the victory.

De Villiers was in Boucher’s place behind the sticks in the last two one-day games in the series. Boucher was struggling with an injury to his toe.

“I realised during those two games how difficult it is to concentrate on your batting when you are a wicketkeeper. If I’m wicketkeeper, my batting will definitely suffer,” said De Villiers.

Arthur said this week they would definitely try to find a replacement for Boucher.

“It looks as if we might decide on the Dolphins’ Daryn Smit,” said Arthur.

Smit, 25, is one of the best wicketkeepers in domestic cricket, but has also caught the eye as a legspinner over the last couple of years.

It’s not unusual for Smit to take off his gloves and pads during an innings and bowl a few overs.

However, he will have to decide now whether he would like to work on his legspin-bowling or concentrate on keeping wicket. He will also have to work hard at his batting.

His average of 33.71 is good enough for provincial cricket, but not for the international arena. He has one first-class century to his name.
Red
Red

Number of posts : 17071
Registration date : 2007-10-28
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

AB doesn't want the gloves. Empty Re: AB doesn't want the gloves.

Post by taipan Fri 13 Feb 2009, 05:13

Old news
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down