Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The continued ruination of cricket...

+8
Rachel
S F Barnes
JKLever
Brass Monkey
Basil
mynah
holcs
LeFromage
12 posters

Go down

The continued ruination of cricket... Empty The continued ruination of cricket...

Post by LeFromage Tue 09 Oct 2007, 21:21

MCC committee supports umpire referrals

Cricinfo staff

October 9, 2007

The referral system did not see a single decision overturned during the English season © Getty Images

The MCC World Cricket Committee has called for an extension of the player referral system used in the Friends Provident Trophy during the English season into Test cricket with more use to be made of the technology available.

It recommended a continuation of the current system whereby two appeals against umpiring decisions are allowed per innings by both the fielding and batting sides. However, unlike the ECB experiment where only a 'clear of obvious mistake' could be over-ruled by the third umpire the cricket committee wants the TV official to be able to make his own decision with the help of more sophisticated technology.

It said that Ultra Motion cameras - the extra-slow replays - should always be available to provide evidence of thin edges and bat-pad catches or lbws.

During the Friends Provident Trophy the third umpire could only use standard replays to form his decision, and no decisions were overturned, but the committee wants the introduction of Hawk-Eye into the process, although adds its accuracy would have to be independently verified first. During a recent meeting in Cape Town the cricket committee met with the makers of Hawk-Eye who guaranteed the accuracy of the system to within 5mm.

The MCC has offered to assist with the increased costs of the cameras for the trial period, but also concluded that the trials should take place in a Test series, where the highest quality of technological presence is available.

The committee felt that the game should make use of Hawk-Eye to assist in the tracking of deliveries for lbw decisions up to the point of impact with the batsman, but that the predictive path technology, currently used on television to predict where the ball might have gone thereafter, should not be used by the third umpire.

But they added that other technology, such as Snickometer and Hot-spot, should not be used for initial trials although didn't rule out an introduction in the future.

"The committee feels that the player challenge system could have a positive effect on the spirit of the game," said a statement. "A batsman who gets an obvious edge on a ball but is given 'not out' may be more inclined to walk in the knowledge that he would certainly be given out by the third umpire, if the fielding side made a challenge.

"The committee recognised that to dispute an umpire's decision is contrary to the Spirit of Cricket but felt that the system is nonetheless worth trialling when utilised in tandem with the extended availability of technology to the third umpire. However, the trial must be conducted in such a way as to assist the umpires in every possible way and all challenges to umpiring decisions in the trial must be made in a way which maintains the umpires' dignity and authority over the game."

The format and success of the World Twenty20 was also praised, but the committee warned of the dangers of increasing the number of matches played and feels the current level set by ICC - three home games in a summer - should remain.

However, they reiterated their view that some teams play too much Test and ODI cricket, adding: "Twelve Tests is considered a reasonable limit and the maximum number of games in a one-day international series should be five. The committee is worried that players will increasingly suffer from tiredness and injury as a result of their increased schedules, as well as having no time to play in their own domestic cricket. "

© Cricinfo

Hawk-eye is a piece of crap. The day actual decisions are based upon a computer simulation in a virtual world is the day the sport ceases to be.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Number of posts : 26195
Registration date : 2007-08-03
Flag/Background : fra

http://www.flamingbails.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

The continued ruination of cricket... Empty Re: The continued ruination of cricket...

Post by holcs Tue 09 Oct 2007, 21:24

Sod it... How about we just have test cricket in the second world reality and be done with it????
holcs
holcs

Number of posts : 5481
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

The continued ruination of cricket... Empty Re: The continued ruination of cricket...

Post by mynah Tue 09 Oct 2007, 21:26

They could do worse than dispense with umpires. They could replace batsmen with robots on the grounds that crap shots are being made.
mynah
mynah

The continued ruination of cricket... APSeEpm

Number of posts : 3385
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Tue 09 Oct 2007, 21:27

Steady lads! The MCC might recommend it, but that doesn't mean that it will be implemented.
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Tue 09 Oct 2007, 21:29

Basil wrote:Steady lads! The MCC might recommend it, but that doesn't mean that it will be implemented.

Yeah, not sure they will to be honest.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Tue 09 Oct 2007, 21:29

We'd have 5 day tests lasting a day and a half!
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Tue 09 Oct 2007, 21:30

Or just televise England and Australia taking each other on over a game of Brian Lara cricket.

Probably be a laugh, actually. I imagine Ponting to be a chuck the controller across the room in a pique of rage type player, Pietersen to be a "my controller's not working properly - Look! I'm pressing it!" kind of guy...

And I can see Andrew Symonds trying gamely to work the controller with his bare feet with a confused look on his face.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Tue 09 Oct 2007, 21:30

Dello wrote:Or just televise England and Australia taking each other on over a game of Brian Lara cricket.

Probably be a laugh, actually. I imagine Ponting to be a chuck the controller across the room in a pique of rage type player, Pietersen to be a "my controller's not working properly - Look! I'm pressing it!" kind of guy...

And I can see Andrew Symonds trying gamely to work the controller with his bare feet with a confused look on his face.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by holcs Tue 09 Oct 2007, 21:32

Dello wrote:Or just televise England and Australia taking each other on over a game of Brian Lara cricket.

And would Inzi be the pause the game every two minutes to scoff his takeaway???
holcs
holcs

Number of posts : 5481

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Tue 09 Oct 2007, 21:37

Oh, Inzi - in his big chair. The guy was made for computer console cricket.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 09 Oct 2007, 21:38

The day actual decisions are based upon a computer simulation in a virtual world is the day the sport ceases to be.

They already are: in the ump's brain.

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Tue 09 Oct 2007, 21:43

Are you suggesting the umpires are cyborgs? That Darrell Hair is actually the now-defunct T270 early-model Terminator, sent back through time to destroy Asian cricket before it rises up and takes over the world?
LeFromage
LeFromage

Back to top Go down

Post by S F Barnes Tue 09 Oct 2007, 21:56

Dello wrote:Are you suggesting the umpires are cyborgs? That Darrell Hair is actually the now-defunct T270 early-model Terminator, sent back through time to destroy Asian cricket before it rises up and takes over the world?

Steady! Wink
S F Barnes
S F Barnes

Number of posts : 276
Registration date : 2007-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel Tue 09 Oct 2007, 22:27

Any sign of Merlin? He's an MCC member...
Rachel
Rachel

Number of posts : 276
Flag/Background : wi

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Wed 10 Oct 2007, 02:08

Rachel wrote:Any sign of Merlin? He's an Country member...

Fixed.
embee
embee

Number of posts : 26217
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by Invader Zim Wed 10 Oct 2007, 02:10

How about referrals to PakPassion? You know it makes sense.
Invader Zim
Invader Zim

Number of posts : 6396
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Wed 10 Oct 2007, 06:41

embee wrote:
Rachel wrote:Any sign of Merlin? He's an Country member...

Fixed.
Yes, I remember...

Zat

Number of posts : 28872

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Wed 10 Oct 2007, 06:41

During a recent meeting in Cape Town the cricket committee met with the makers of Hawk-Eye who guaranteed the accuracy of the system to within 5mm.

Well, they would, wouldn't they? :rolleyes:

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Wed 10 Oct 2007, 06:44

Actually, here's a thought.

Get rid of all umpire-referrals to the video.

Only allow the two 'challenges' per innings.

I could live with that, It would mean the umpire's decisions would have to be of a consistently high standard, but would kill off much of the endless effing about while we wait two or three minutes seven or eight times a day for video reviews.

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by Invader Zim Wed 10 Oct 2007, 07:04

I assume you forgot to add that subi teams get 20 challenges per session for 'cultural' reasons.
Invader Zim
Invader Zim

Number of posts : 6396
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Wed 10 Oct 2007, 08:05

Rachel wrote:Any sign of Merlin? He's an MCC member...

'ere I am missus ... missed this thread last night - too many whiskies trying to keep up with Fink's cider guzzling.

I don't see eye to eye with all MCC's committee's decisions Rachel ... and this one tops the list.
Never been one for techno taking over from the Umpire, especially LBW decisions.

Merlin

Number of posts : 14718
Registration date : 2007-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Wed 10 Oct 2007, 08:07

"I don't see eye to eye with all MCC's committee's decisions"

PMSL ....Saved for future reference
embee
embee

Number of posts : 26217
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down