Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Precious petals and those sledging Aussies.

+10
eowyn
embee
PeterCS
tac
Merlin
skully
taipan
OP Tipping
mynah
Red
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Precious petals and those sledging Aussies. Empty Precious petals and those sledging Aussies.

Post by Red Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:40 pm

Do not blame the floral emblem...
Precious petals and those sledging Aussies. Bypic_567 Kevin McCallum
March 13 2009 at 06:43AM

Cricket SA denied on Thursday that the reason for their team's predicament against Australia was because the players, fans and administrators had finally realised that "Proteas" was a "naff" name for a national team. CSA further denied that the team's players had begun calling themselves the "Charlies" in private.

They also denied that Ashwell Prince was in denial after being named team captain and opening batsman for the dead rubber third Test between the two nations, but then denied the chance to be skipper by the selectors. A spokesperson refused to comment on whether Prince had used the words "die" and "naai" during a conversation about the convener of national selectors."Actually, 'Deny' is a strong word for the way CSA feels about any blame being placed on the name 'Proteas'," said the spokesperson. "Since we have taken on the flower as our symbol, we have felt in tune with the deeper meaning of both winning and losing. We are aware of the hurt we inflict on others when we win 2-1 away from home, but while we feel for Graeme Smith and his cricketing brothers, we are proud of the role we have played in turning the Aussies from Saggy Greens into Baggy Greens again. That is flower power; true cricketing love. Do not blame the Protea; for blame is shame and that is not our game, bru."

One member of the national team said he could take any amount of sledging from the Australians, including having his batting style likened to parts of a women's anatomy he never knew existed, but admitted that being called a "hairy petal" was getting to him.

"It's been tough since they took on this daft nickname for the team," said the player. "You try going out there and getting stick that you are not a 'Pro' and should be going for 'tea'; it's hard. Punter's the worst. He says in, like, a really sarky voi-ce: 'Hey blokes, I can't tell - is this a flower or a colourful artichoke?' Then they all laugh. When we try to get them back by telling them that there are 81 varieties of the King Protea, they do their research and hit us with 'Morning, King Sugar Bush', or 'ah diddums, Honeypot'."

It is believed that a core of the SA team have agreed to take on their own nickname. "Yeah, we've got like a secret group, like in Dead Poets Society, except without the dodgy poetry reading and literature stuff," said the player. "We call ourselves the 'Charlies' after one of our sponsors, plus it's on the shirt already, so we can grab it in pride like Nella did at SuperSport Park a few years back. We need the power of lager to bat like we're in the laager. Clever, huh? Now we just need to win the last Test so we can be proper Charlies."
Red
Red

Number of posts : 17071
Registration date : 2007-10-28
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Precious petals and those sledging Aussies. Empty Re: Precious petals and those sledging Aussies.

Post by mynah Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:53 pm

A spokesperson refused to comment on whether Prince had used the words "die" and "naai" during a conversation about the convener of national selectors.

Well, if Prince wanted to naai the guy it is no wonder they got rid of him as captain so quickly... Wink
mynah
mynah

Precious petals and those sledging Aussies. APSeEpm

Number of posts : 3385
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Precious petals and those sledging Aussies. Empty Re: Precious petals and those sledging Aussies.

Post by OP Tipping Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:57 pm

What does that mean?
OP Tipping
OP Tipping

Precious petals and those sledging Aussies. Svlx7uN

Number of posts : 4680
Registration date : 2008-01-10
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by mynah Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:11 pm

Same as f*ck, but much less polite and refined.
mynah
mynah

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:37 pm

mynah wrote:
A spokesperson refused to comment on whether Prince had used the words "die" and "naai" during a conversation about the convener of national selectors.

Well, if Prince wanted to naai the guy it is no wonder they got rid of him as captain so quickly... Wink

I read it that he called him "die naai"
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Registration date : 2007-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:39 pm

Does that mean the slectors are a dead fark? Cool
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105956

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:39 pm

Die = the
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:40 pm

Yeah, but it's not as amusing. Cool
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:41 pm

So how do you say "What" in Afrikaans?
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:44 pm

Wat
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:55 pm

"Punter's the worst. He says in, like, a really sarky voi-ce: 'Hey blokes, I can't tell - is this a flower or a colourful artichoke?' Then they all laugh. When we try to get them back by telling them that there are 81 varieties of the King Protea, they do their research and hit us with 'Morning, King Sugar Bush', or 'ah diddums, Honeypot'."

FFS.
The jaarps getting upset at those kinda "sledges".
Bunch of f**king woosies if you ask me ...

Now THIS is a real sledge - (a la Chapelli to incoming Pom batsman who's been out of favour with the selectors)
" F**k me, I thought you were dead ..... Never mind, you soon f**kin' will be ..." as Thommo charges in. (It's disputed as to whether the words "you qunt" ended the sentence ....)

Nevertheless, comparing "flowers to fecking artichokes" in a "sarky" voice no less, upsetting the Jaaps evokes images of a bunch of gays at the local village fete flower-judging competition.

Merlin

Number of posts : 14718
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : afg

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:02 pm

taipan wrote:Wat
So does "Wat die naai?" make sense?
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:02 pm

Am I the only person that thinks this is a Red gee-up?
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:03 pm

Merlin wrote:"Punter's the worst. He says in, like, a really sarky voi-ce: 'Hey blokes, I can't tell - is this a flower or a colourful artichoke?' Then they all laugh. When we try to get them back by telling them that there are 81 varieties of the King Protea, they do their research and hit us with 'Morning, King Sugar Bush', or 'ah diddums, Honeypot'."

FFS.
The jaarps getting upset at those kinda "sledges".
Bunch of f**king woosies if you ask me ...

Now THIS is a real sledge - (a la Chapelli to incoming Pom batsman who's been out of favour with the selectors)
" F**k me, I thought you were dead ..... Never mind, you soon f**kin' will be ..." as Thommo charges in. (It's disputed as to whether the words "you qunt" ended the sentence ....)

Nevertheless, comparing "flowers to fecking artichokes" in a "sarky" voice no less, upsetting the Jaaps evokes images of a bunch of gays at the local village fete flower-judging competition.

Ummm . . . isn't what Red posted meant as a joke? A real joke, unlike what he normally posts?
tac
tac

Number of posts : 19270
Flag/Background : pon

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:04 pm

skully wrote:Am I the only person that thinks this is a Red gee-up?

It's a joke article, but someone had to take it seriously.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:04 pm

Nah, nothing's a joke when it concerns the Jaarp's, mate!
Such a sensitive fecking mob!!

Merlin

Number of posts : 14718
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : afg

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:05 pm

I'd like to think it's true as well, merls . . .
tac
tac

Number of posts : 19270
Flag/Background : pon

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:05 pm

It read like one of your Smiffy diary entries, taips.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:06 pm

wdn?
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:40 pm

PeterCS wrote:wdn?
Hehe, noice. Cool
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by mynah Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:07 pm

taipan wrote:

I also thought that should have been obvious...
mynah
mynah

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:12 pm

mynah wrote:
taipan wrote:

I also thought that should have been obvious...

The naai bit was clear but if you are not saffie.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:36 pm

Shhhh...Don't tell Red it's a wind up

Good work from Merlo in "pretending" it was real

of course if you look through the C4 archives you'll find that Dello was "pretending" way before Merlo
embee
embee

Number of posts : 26214
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:17 pm

I still wanna know if I walked into a Durban bar and said "Wat die naai?", would it mean anything to the locals? Cool
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:23 pm

skully wrote:I still wanna know if I walked into a Durban bar and said "Wat die naai?", would it mean anything to the locals? Cool

"Wat die fok" would be be nearer the mark. Haven't heard naai used like that.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next