Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Windies squad for the first 2 ODI's

+2
DJ_Smerk
WIFAN
6 posters

Go down

Windies squad for the first 2 ODI's Empty Windies squad for the first 2 ODI's

Post by WIFAN Mon 16 Mar 2009, 14:59

Chris Gayle (capt), 2 Lendl Simmons, 3 Devon Smith, 4 Shivnarine Chanderpaul, 5 Ramnaresh Sarwan, 6 Dwayne Bravo, 7 Denesh Ramdin (wk), 8 Darren Sammy, 9 Kieron Pollard, 10 Fidel Edwards, 11 Nikita Miller, 12 Daren Powell, 13 Lionel Baker.

So Gayle has passed a fitness test which is a huge bonus. Jerome Taylor is being rested due to a slightly tight calf muscle. Darren Powell is in the squad because he's not a bad ODI bowler, ranked 17th in the World. But the selectors have missed an opportunity to have a close look at one of the young fast bowlers which is disappointing.

Nikita Miller is selectred ahead of Benn. Now IMHO the selectors have got it completely the wrong way round as Miller is a much better test prospect, while Benn is good at firing in yorkers in the shorter format. Completely muddled thinking suggests that we are really not sure what our best XI is yet. I suppose I should just be thankful that Nash, Findlay and Baugh Jr aren't in the squad.
WIFAN
WIFAN

Windies squad for the first 2 ODI's 7EoDRAk

Number of posts : 2857
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : wi

Back to top Go down

Windies squad for the first 2 ODI's Empty Re: Windies squad for the first 2 ODI's

Post by DJ_Smerk Mon 16 Mar 2009, 15:03

WIFAN wrote:Chris Gayle (capt), 2 Lendl Simmons, 3 Devon Smith, 4 Shivnarine Chanderpaul, 5 Ramnaresh Sarwan, 6 Dwayne Bravo, 7 Denesh Ramdin (wk), 8 Darren Sammy, 9 Kieron Pollard, 10 Fidel Edwards, 11 Nikita Miller, 12 Daren Powell, 13 Lionel Baker.

lol!
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Number of posts : 15938
Registration date : 2007-09-08
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Windies squad for the first 2 ODI's Empty Re: Windies squad for the first 2 ODI's

Post by WIFAN Mon 16 Mar 2009, 15:24

He is playing against Barbados at the moment. Before looking at his match figures, consider that a 20 year old pacer who had just made an extremely promising debut was dropped for him at the WICB's request:

16 Overs, 0/85 (4 no-balls, 5 wides)
WIFAN
WIFAN

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Mon 16 Mar 2009, 16:29

Fingers crossed, England should be better at ODI's than they are at this T20 gubbins.

Not that i'd put my money on it...
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Mon 16 Mar 2009, 16:36

Aye, I'd like to think that too TBH ... but with nowt of substance to back it up.
England really have been woeful of late - moreso Shah - who seems to carry the feckin' world's problems on his back!
I see Harmless returning for the 50 over gigs, with Rashid definitely getting a few games.
Have to say, I was impressed by Davies in the T20 - both keeping and batting.

Merlin

Number of posts : 14718
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : afg

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Mon 16 Mar 2009, 16:39

With Fred out for 2 games (so we're told) - I'd go ....
Davies, Bopara, Shah, KP, Wobbles, Straussy, Prior, Rashid, Broadly, Harmless and Jimmy.

Merlin

Number of posts : 14718
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : afg

Back to top Go down

Post by WIFAN Mon 16 Mar 2009, 16:41

Now Gayle is fit I would make us favorites, as he is so good at ODI's and England are quite clearly struggling and have never been good at ODI's.We have 3 top notch ODI batsmen (Gayle, Sarwan and Shiv), while England have 1 (KP).

But they could still beat us if they win the first 2 matches as our ODI team thrives on momentum, and slow starts can easily turn into losing streaks.

I am confident Windies will do well as the batting lineup will not have the soft underbelly that it has had recently as the Jamaican contingent (Nash, Findlay and Baugh) have been rightfully dropped and we will have proper batsman even after the big 3 are gone.

Hopefully Kieron Pollard will play a big role in this series as it is time he translated his domestic and 20-20 form into ODI runs.
WIFAN
WIFAN

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Mon 16 Mar 2009, 16:52

oh WI would have to be favourites given England don't have Flintoff or Swann available.

Don't think we can defend anything we set but would not rule us out chasing a WI target as I don't think WI bowling is really any great shakes either, especially without Taylor.
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by kkf Mon 16 Mar 2009, 17:08

DJ_Smerk wrote:
WIFAN wrote:Chris Gayle (capt), 2 Lendl Simmons, 3 Devon Smith, 4 Shivnarine Chanderpaul, 5 Ramnaresh Sarwan, 6 Dwayne Bravo, 7 Denesh Ramdin (wk), 8 Darren Sammy, 9 Kieron Pollard, 10 Fidel Edwards, 11 Nikita Miller, 12 Daren Powell, 13 Lionel Baker.

lol!

Hey you guys have Amjad Khan in your squad.

kkf

Number of posts : 372
Registration date : 2007-12-27

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Mon 16 Mar 2009, 17:10

kkf wrote:
Hey you guys have Amjad Khan in your squad.

Yes, but we're used to seeing clowns in our team...
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by kkf Mon 16 Mar 2009, 17:11

So Gayle has passed a fitness test which is a huge bonus. Jerome Taylor is being rested due to a slightly tight calf muscle. Darren Powell is in the squad because he's not a bad ODI bowler, ranked 17th in the World. But the selectors have missed an opportunity to have a close look at one of the young fast bowlers which is disappointing.

Nikita Miller is selectred ahead of Benn. Now IMHO the selectors have got it completely the wrong way round as Miller is a much better test prospect, while Benn is good at firing in yorkers in the shorter format. Completely muddled thinking suggests that we are really not sure what our best XI is yet. I suppose I should just be thankful that Nash, Findlay and Baugh Jr aren't in the squad.

I am certainly glad the Findlay (whose selection in the first place still baffles me completely) is gone

kkf

Number of posts : 372
Registration date : 2007-12-27

Back to top Go down

Post by WIFAN Mon 16 Mar 2009, 17:17

kkf wrote:

I am certainly glad the Findlay (whose selection in the first place still baffles me completely) is gone

Yeah I honestly don't think I have seen someone so hopelessly out of his depth (apart from 1 innings v Australia), and his FC record is appalling.

I really hope they give Pascal, Tonge or Mclean a ODI before the end of this series to have a look at their action, pace etc. Even they must realise that Powell is not good enough and needs to be replaced by someone with a long future in the game.
WIFAN
WIFAN

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Mon 16 Mar 2009, 17:19

Ravi Rampaul should have been selected. I've always liked his attitude. Seems the selectors haven't forgotten his nightmare series against South Africa last year just yet.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891
Registration date : 2007-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by WIFAN Mon 16 Mar 2009, 17:25

Henry wrote:Ravi Rampaul should have been selected. I've always liked his attitude. Seems the selectors haven't forgotten his nightmare series against South Africa last year just yet.

He was out for 5 weeks and has only recently returned. He has taken a lot of wickets in his 2 FC matches, and he still has 2 rounds left to play so hopefully he will force his way onto the test squad to England. Rampaul can really bat as well so he would make our lower order very impressive indeed.
WIFAN
WIFAN

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down