Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mitch tells Khan to duck.

Go down

Mitch tells Khan to duck. Empty Mitch tells Khan to duck.

Post by Red Tue 17 Mar 2009, 12:07

It could be a fiery baptism for Imraan Khan and Prince as openers.

Mitchell Johnson warns Proteas debutant Imraan Khan to start ducking

By Greg Buckle in Cape Town, South Africa
March 17, 2009
South Africa's new opening combination can expect a fiery start to Thursday's third Test with Australia paceman Mitchell Johnson telling debutant Imraan Khan to prepare to start ducking.
Australia lead the three-match series 2-0 and the home side have named Khan and former No.5 batsman Ashwell Prince as their opening pair in place of injured skipper Graeme Smith and dumped veteran Neil McKenzie.

Prince's fellow left-hander Khan scored 100 and six for South Africa President's XI against Australia in a three-day game in Potchefstroom last month.

"In the first innings he batted quite well. In the second innings we tried a bit of a different tactic towards him, bowling a few more shorter ones and getting him stuck on the crease a little bit," Johnson said on Monday.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="pull quote">“We're pretty keen to have a go at their guys. We'll have a look at those guys on video and see what we can do.” –Mitchell Johnson Pack your helmets, fellas </BLOCKQUOTE>"We'll have a bowlers' meeting in the next day or so and talk about those two players.

"It's going to be exciting for him in his first Test and hopefully we can make it hard for him.

"We're pretty keen to have a go at their guys. We'll have a look at those guys on video and see what we can do."

Prince was disappointed at not being selected in the side for the Johannesburg and Durban Tests.

The South Africa vice-captain was named skipper for the third Test when the Proteas announced a 12-man squad last week, but a day later Jacques Kallis was given the leadership role with Prince told to concentrate on opening.

Prince, who averages 45.68 in 47 Tests and hit 900 Test runs last year at 64.28, was kept of the side by JP Duminy who has been in outstanding form since deputising for the injured Prince in Perth in December.

"I haven't played against him (Prince) and I haven't seen a hell of a lot of him," Johnson said.

"But I know he has got a good record.

"He can probably bat anywhere. Maybe in the back of his mind there's a little bit of hope that he doesn't want to be out here (opening) and maybe we can exploit it a little bit," he added.

Johnson said he has been working with Australia bowling coach Troy Cooley on his swing, particularly the ball back into the right-handed batsmen.

"In the game situation I probably pushed a little bit too hard at times"' Johnson said.

"Now I've pulled it back just slightly and tried to be nice and tall in my action and tried to swing that ball.

"I had my opportunities in the West Indies and I didn't swing it there.

"So I went back to the drawing board. I have worked a lot with Troy and he keeps in close contact with Dennis Lillee."

Johnson says Test paceman Ben Hilfenhaus has also given him some helpful tips.

"Being a left-armer bowling to a left-hander you're more chance of swinging it but it was actually really nice to see it swing back into the right-hander and swing back as much as it did," said Johnson, 27.
Red
Red

Number of posts : 17072
Registration date : 2007-10-28
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down