Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Roy gets boot for being drunk

+6
tac
horace
Henry
skully
lardbucket
bodyline
10 posters

Go down

Roy gets boot for being drunk Empty Roy gets boot for being drunk

Post by bodyline Mon 23 Mar 2009, 06:04

Andrew Symonds kicked out of Brisbane bar for being too drunk
By Alex Dickinson
MX
March 23, 2009 02:32pm
Text size
Dismissed ... troubled cricketer Andrew Symonds was asked to leave a Brisbane bar last night / Brisbane mX
Andrew Symonds asked to leave bar
Cricket star judged to be drunk
Rehabilitation "still on track"

TROUBLED cricket star Andrew Symonds has landed in more trouble after being asked to leave a Brisbane bar because he was too drunk.

Despite Queensland Cricket this morning saying his rehabilitation was "on track", Brisbane's mX newspaper witnessed an intoxicated Symonds being punted by security at the Watt Bar in New Farm, inner east Brisbane about 9pm (AEST) last night.

Symonds was celebrating with friends, including Bulls captain Chris Simpson and girlfriend Katie Johnson.

The group left without incident.

The request for the group to leave came after Symonds accidentally broke a glass and was stumbling and calling out boisterously to his friends.

Symonds also had a drink in each hand at one stage during the night.

Symonds is already on a "last chance" warning from Cricket Australia officials over previous alcohol-related misdemeanours.

It is the cricketer's fifth off-field incident since August 2008, when he was infamously sent home from Darwin for missing a team meeting.

He slept through a Queensland training session just three weeks into his comeback, then became embroiled in an incident with a fan at the Normanby Hotel in late November.

In February, he was fined for a six-minute interview with radio station Triple M during which he was under the influence of alcohol.

Symonds has since been having counselling up to three times a week.

A Queensland Cricket spokesman today said Symonds' rehabilitation was ongoing and that he had made progress, and that he was not banned from drinking.

"He's allowed to have a drink and I'm sure the boys were looking after him," he said.

"The boys have had a big season and surely they're allowed to let off some steam."

A Cricket Australia spokesman thanked mX for bringing the incident to his attention, but said only that: "Andrew continues to work through the rehabilitation process."

In November, after being cleared of any wrongdoing over the Normanby incident, Symonds said: "If I make another mistake, it is going to be a pretty ugly ending and I realise that."

bodyline

Roy gets boot for being drunk MPDozzd

Number of posts : 2335
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Roy gets boot for being drunk Empty Re: Roy gets boot for being drunk

Post by lardbucket Mon 23 Mar 2009, 06:05

Excellent.

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38126
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Mon 23 Mar 2009, 06:06

And that's all she wrote, as far as his chances of touring England go.

What.a.dropkick. Rolling Eyes
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105986
Registration date : 2007-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by bodyline Mon 23 Mar 2009, 06:09

Symonds in trouble again
Email Printer friendly version Normal font Large font Phil Lutton, www.brisbanetimes.com.au (Fairfax)
March 23, 2009 - 2:30PM

In trouble again . . . Andrew Symonds.
Photo: Wayne Taylor

Latest related coverage
View Australia v South Africa - 3rd Test
Photos: South Africa is closing in on victory.

Advertisement
The Ashes dreams of Andrew Symonds have taken a nosedive following the latest alcohol-related drama centred on the troubled all-rounder.

Symonds was reportedly shown the door from swish bar Watt, in the inner-city Brisbane suburb of New Farm, at 9pm on Sunday after a drinking session with his girlfriend Katie Johnson and Queensland Bulls captain Chris Simpson.

A newspaper report suggested Symonds broke a glass and was "stumbling" and "calling out boisterously" to his friends.

A spokesperson for The Brisbane Powerhouse, which houses Watt, had no comment but it is understood the group left the premises upon request and without incident.

Watt is closed on Mondays and the venue manager was reported to be on the Sunshine Coast, north of Brisbane, and unavailable for comment.

It is the latest in a string of boozy incidents involving the 33-year-old. This most recent infraction couldn't have come at a worse time, given the woes of spinner Bryce McGain in South Africa and the sub-par batting performance of current all-rounder Andrew McDonald.

Symonds has been undergoing a second period of counselling and rehabilitation after returning to the game last month following knee surgery at the start of the year.

He was ordered to undergo counselling after the "gone fishing" affair in late August but was recalled to the Test team in November. He played five straight Tests before being sidelined by injury.

While recovering, he copped a $4000 fine for calling New Zealand wicketkeeper Brendon McCullum a "lump of shit" in a radio interview while under the influence of alcohol.

Cricket Australia said Symonds was on his last chance following that incident and their mettle will be tested in the wake of Sunday night's alleged events, particulary in terms of the touring squad for England and the preceding Twenty20 World Cup.

Queensland Cricket has said Symonds is not banned from drinking as part of his treatment

bodyline

Roy gets boot for being drunk MPDozzd

Number of posts : 2335

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Mon 23 Mar 2009, 06:10

The bar owner, a Mrs Hodge, refused to discuss the report, but directed reporters to a website showing a grainy video of the incident, or a very similar incident.

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Mon 23 Mar 2009, 06:21

A Queensland Cricket spokesman today said Symonds' rehabilitation was ongoing and that he had made progress, and that he was not banned from drinking.

"He's allowed to have a drink and I'm sure the boys were looking after him," he said.

"The boys have had a big season and surely they're allowed to let off some steam."

There's the problem. They're not prepared to get tough. Unless they tell him that he is NOT ALLOWED to drink in a public place then his career is over because he clearly can't control himself.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Mon 23 Mar 2009, 06:38

lardbucket wrote:The bar owner, a Mrs Hodge, refused to discuss the report, but directed reporters to a website showing a grainy video of the incident, or a very similar incident.

...in a related development another Ms H announced that she will make enough from defamation proceedings to never have to run for parliament again...
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Mon 23 Mar 2009, 06:39

Absolute mountain out of a molehill stuff . . . trust Trev to jump all over it . .
tac
tac

Number of posts : 19270
Flag/Background : pon

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Mon 23 Mar 2009, 06:41

I thought the pictures made her look much more interesting than she ever could have been in real life. Rather flattering, really. How does she think she's been defamed?

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Mon 23 Mar 2009, 06:45

tac wrote:Absolute mountain out of a molehill stuff . . . trust Trev to jump all over it . .

So you think if any other Australian player was asked to leave a bar it wouldn't make the headlines? How often has Mike Hussey, for example, been involved in these little incidents? Or Brett Lee? I've frequently seen him in Sydney bars, and there was never any trouble.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Mon 23 Mar 2009, 06:49

Henry wrote:Brett Lee? I've frequently seen him in Sydney bars

Where's the raised eyebrows emoticon?

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Mon 23 Mar 2009, 06:55

Henry wrote: Or Brett Lee? I've frequently seen him in Sydney gay bars, and there was never any trouble.
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Mon 23 Mar 2009, 06:57

taips...they are all spiv bars ....'nuff said
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Mon 23 Mar 2009, 06:57

tumbleweed

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Mon 23 Mar 2009, 06:58

horace wrote:taips...they are all spiv bars ....'nuff said

I know Horrie, but was being kind for once.
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by G.Wood Mon 23 Mar 2009, 21:43

"Symonds also had a drink in each hand at one stage during the night."

How dare he. Imagine going to the bar and buying a drink for you and your sheila.

He's done some stoopid things in his time but this is just a freakin beat up. He had a drink and yelled to mates ffs
G.Wood
G.Wood

Number of posts : 12070
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Mon 23 Mar 2009, 22:40

G.Wood wrote:"Symonds also had a drink in each hand at one stage during the night."

How dare he. Imagine going to the bar and buying a drink for you and your sheila.

He's done some stoopid things in his time but this is just a freakin beat up. He had a drink and yelled to mates ffs

Farewell bash for watto, was it?
tac
tac

Back to top Go down

Post by G.Wood Mon 23 Mar 2009, 22:57

no
G.Wood
G.Wood

Number of posts : 12070
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

Post by furriner Mon 23 Mar 2009, 23:17

Henry wrote:
tac wrote:Absolute mountain out of a molehill stuff . . . trust Trev to jump all over it . .

So you think if any other Australian player was asked to leave a bar it wouldn't make the headlines? How often has Mike Hussey, for example, been involved in these little incidents? Or Brett Lee? I've frequently seen him in Sydney bars, and there was never any trouble.

To me the point would be that he doesn't frequent bars or, dos not involve himself in any public situation that involves consumption of alcohol.

He gets hammered in private, end of.

OK, I couldn't probably do it if asked to exercise such discipline myself. But he's been in such situations many times, he's been warned a few times. He plays cricket for his country. He has very few excuses.

On a somewhat related topic, I do not believe that people 'improve'. The smart ones just change their environment.
furriner
furriner

Number of posts : 12508
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Mon 23 Mar 2009, 23:19

furriner wrote:
Henry wrote:

To me the point would be that he doesn't frequent bars or, dos not involve himself in any public situation that involves consumption of alcohol.

OK, I couldn't probably do it if asked to exercise such discipline myself. But he's been in such situations many times, he's been warned a few times. He plays cricket for his country. He has very few excuses.

On a somewhat related topic, I do not believe that people 'improve'. The smart ones just change their environment.

Fact is, furry, cricket is a pretty social game . . . if a bloke can't knock the top off a couple of sherbets with his team-mates without the press blowing it up into some national disgrace, well FFS . . . .

Only dickwads like Trev could get excited about this kind of beat up . . .
tac
tac

Back to top Go down

Post by furriner Mon 23 Mar 2009, 23:22

tac wrote:
furriner wrote:
Henry wrote:

Fact is, furry, cricket is a pretty social game . . . if a bloke can't knock the top off a couple of sherbets with his team-mates without the press blowing it up into some national disgrace, well FFS . . . .

Only dickwads like Trev could get excited about this kind of beat up . . .

The story itself, when I read it, seemed a complete mountain over the etc. Utter trash.

However, the man doesn't need this. He's had a history. People will assume the worst with him. The press will want a 'story'. Which is the reason he should stay off, IMO.

I know, easy for me to say.
furriner
furriner

Number of posts : 12508
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Mon 23 Mar 2009, 23:25

True, f, but hiding himself away isn't the best method of overcoming his problems, either, I would think . .. .
tac
tac

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Mon 23 Mar 2009, 23:48

personally i think this is a beat up...but i guess the point is that Roy attracts beat-ups and prolly always will...in a rather hideous irony he is the Pauline Hanson of Aust. cricket...

the one thing that amazes me in the whole story was that the billy drinkathon was styled as a celebration of the end of the shield season...given the ignominy of their performances against the Vix in the last 2 games there did not appear much to celebrate.
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Mon 23 Mar 2009, 23:57

I bet the lensman had a couple of glasses in his hands and said, "Ey Andy, you're lookin' great, I'd really like a shot - mind holding these for a second?"

And the rest is history.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down