Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The lack of Tour Matches these days.

+5
Mick Sawyer
Nath
LeFromage
Basil
Hass
9 posters

Go down

The lack of Tour Matches these days. Empty The lack of Tour Matches these days.

Post by Hass Sat 18 Jul 2009, 14:25

Watching Mitchell Johnson bowl pie after pie has made me think about the lack of tour games.

Here is a guy clearly struggling with his action but he's being forced to work it out in a Test Match. Meanwhile Stuart Clark is back from injury but lacks match fitness.

Every touring team has been cutting down on tour matches for a long time now, but I really think it's got to the stage where it is hurting the standard of play in Test Matches.

This was the schedule for Ponting's first Ashes tour in 1997:

Minor one-day games and Texcao Trophy followed by:

3-day game v Gloucestershire
3-day game v Derbyshire

FIRST TEST
3-day game v Nottinghamshire
3-day game v Leicestershire
SECOND TEST
3-day game v British Universities
3-day game v Hampshire
THIRD TEST
1-day game v Minor Counties
1-day game v Scotland
1-day game v John Paul Getty XI
3-day game v Glamorgan
3-day game v Middlesex

FOURTH TEST
4-day game v Somerset
FIFTH TEST
1-day game v Ireland
4-day game v Kent

SIXTH TEST

That gave the Australians 30 days of tour cricket in between tests matches. If you take away the games in between the fifth and sixth test that still leaves us with 25 days of tour cricket.

Compare that to this year's tour, which gives Australia a grand total of 5 days worth of tour cricket in between test matches.

This isn't a whinge. Teams touring Australia must deal with equally dire (or in some cases worse) schedules.

I understand the explosion of Twenty20 and One-Day Cricket has left less time in the schedule. But could Australia not play Twenty20 games against the counties? Would these games not sell out and rate their tits off?

I'd be happy with one Twenty20 game and one First-Class Match between each test, but something tells me I'm tilting at windmills.

Hass

The lack of Tour Matches these days. MPDozzd

Number of posts : 2401
Registration date : 2007-09-10
Flag/Background : nsw

Back to top Go down

The lack of Tour Matches these days. Empty Re: The lack of Tour Matches these days.

Post by Guest Sat 18 Jul 2009, 14:31

Hass wrote:
This isn't a whinge.

I agree. Back in 1985 I seem to remember that Australia played the Duchess of Arundel match and then a proper four-day game. When England play away, they seem to have one short warm-up game then the tests. It's a big reason why teams are so hard to beat at home now, IMO. The touring side gets no chance to acclimatise.

Mind you, Middx have done their best to get some Aussies nicely warmed up in time. I will never go to another Middx match because of this. I might even have to cross the river and defect to Slurry.

Back to top Go down

The lack of Tour Matches these days. Empty Re: The lack of Tour Matches these days.

Post by Basil Sat 18 Jul 2009, 20:26

I think I'm right in saying that on the '72 tour, Keith Stackpole scored 1,000 first class runs before the first test.
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Sat 18 Jul 2009, 20:36

Hass wrote:Watching Mitchell Johnson bowl pie after pie has made me think about the lack of tour games.

Here is a guy clearly struggling with his action but he's being forced to work it out in a Test Match.

Don't forget, Australia took the brilliant decision to "rest" him from the first of their two only warm-up games.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Number of posts : 26195
Registration date : 2007-08-03
Flag/Background : fra

http://www.flamingbails.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Nath Sat 18 Jul 2009, 23:29

Dello wrote:
Hass wrote:Watching Mitchell Johnson bowl pie after pie has made me think about the lack of tour games.

Here is a guy clearly struggling with his action but he's being forced to work it out in a Test Match.

Don't forget, Australia took the brilliant decision to "rest" him from the first of their two only warm-up games.

that's b/c our "braintrust selectors" picked 3 cripples.
Nath
Nath

Number of posts : 11981
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mick Sawyer Sun 19 Jul 2009, 01:58

Were the brilliant ones to know that under the pressure of a Test match his action was found to be wanting when they made that choice?

Hass's post hits a bunch of marks. Amongst those is the obvious one with respect to Johnson. It's now evident that he needs time in the middle. The lack of non-Test FC matches makes that difficult. The pushot for the Test match "viewers" is a lesser standard of entertainment.

Last edited by Mick Sawyer on Sun 19 Jul 2009, 03:33; edited 1 time in total
Mick Sawyer
Mick Sawyer

Number of posts : 7267
Registration date : 2007-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Nath Sun 19 Jul 2009, 02:04

Mick Sawyer wrote:

Where the brilliant ones to know that under the pressure of a Test match his action was found to be wanting when they made that choice?

Hass's post hits a bunch of marks. Amongst those is the obvious one with respect to Johnson. It's now evident that he needs time in the middle. The lack of non-Test FC matches makes that difficult. The pushot for the Test match "viewers" is a lesser standard of entertainment.

It was evident during the JAMODIs over the summer after we rotated him.

Did anyone see the Brett Lee related article in the paper (can't find an online link)? He wants to put himself in cotton wool and not play the tour game, but the selectors want him to play to gauge where his recovery is at.
Nath
Nath

Number of posts : 11981
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Sun 19 Jul 2009, 02:15

Let's hope it pisses down with rain in Northampton all game.
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Mick Sawyer Sun 19 Jul 2009, 10:16

Did anyone see the Brett Lee related article in the paper (can't find an online link)? He wants to put himself in cotton wool and not play the tour game, but the selectors want him to play to gauge where his recovery is at.

No I didn't Nath. Anything containing "Brett Lee" repels my vision across to the adjoining page.
Mick Sawyer
Mick Sawyer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mick Sawyer Sun 19 Jul 2009, 10:16

JKLever wrote:Let's hope it pisses down with rain in Northampton all game.

That's the way JKL. Fook'em!
Mick Sawyer
Mick Sawyer

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Sun 19 Jul 2009, 11:20

Anything about the NSP cummimg in their pants?
Bradman
Bradman

Number of posts : 17402
Registration date : 2008-08-13
Flag/Background : war

Back to top Go down

Post by Hass Sun 19 Jul 2009, 11:39

Nath wrote:

If Brett Lee isn't fit enough to play the tour game then he isn't fit enough to play in the Test Match. It's not like he's Warne or McGrath and even those two players showed that playing half-fit can be a recipe for disaster.

Brett Lee will do what he's told - that's what captains, coaches and selectors are there for.

Hass

The lack of Tour Matches these days. MPDozzd

Number of posts : 2401
Registration date : 2007-09-10
Flag/Background : nsw

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Sun 19 Jul 2009, 11:45

Dello wrote:

Phurt - don't lump that decision with all Australians - it was only the morons who form the "(no) brains trust" on the tour.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Sun 19 Jul 2009, 13:41

I agree with the questioning of the short preparation.

It has also blighted England tours in the last five years. (Ashes 06/07, WIndies recently, to name but two. Massively undercooked.)

MJ would either have bowled himself into form, or have demonstrated comprehensively he was out of sorts, and Gump would have been selected in his place.

Unfortunately, it's all about banking maximum cash these days. The words "golden - egg - goose" tend to come to mind in this context. The quality of play suffers. when the visitors only get 2 1/2 minutes poaching before they are shoved into the usual back-to-back Tests.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down