Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

More proof - like it's needed - Boycs was and is an ass

+9
Bradman
skully
JGK
Merlin
lardbucket
JKLever
taipan
Josh Carney
Zat
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

More proof - like it's needed - Boycs was and is an ass Empty More proof - like it's needed - Boycs was and is an ass

Post by Zat Thu 03 Sep 2009, 04:02

Was...
In 1973 against New Zealand I scored a century, and also ran out Geoff Boycott. When I came back to the dressing room, he wouldn't talk to me. He told Raymond Illingworth, the captain, that he was going to run me out in the next Test match. In the end Illingworth attempted a truce, warning Boycott that he would never play for England as long as he was captain. After some time Boycott agreed that he would not run me out on purpose.
In a cricinfo article on Dennis Amiss.

Just the kind of stuff you need to boost team morale.

Zat

Number of posts : 28872
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

More proof - like it's needed - Boycs was and is an ass Empty Re: More proof - like it's needed - Boycs was and is an ass

Post by Zat Thu 03 Sep 2009, 04:09

And is...

Ponting's the right man for the job...

Zat

Number of posts : 28872
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

More proof - like it's needed - Boycs was and is an ass Empty Re: More proof - like it's needed - Boycs was and is an ass

Post by Josh Carney Thu 03 Sep 2009, 04:34

So hypocritical when guys like Boycott get behind the microphone and pontificate on aspects such as team spirit .

Josh Carney

Number of posts : 1751
Registration date : 2007-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Thu 03 Sep 2009, 08:33

FFS how many English players of that generation didn't run Boycott out.
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Thu 03 Sep 2009, 10:17

Is it a surprise?

This is the guy that gave up test cricket for 2 years simply because Denness was captain
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Thu 03 Sep 2009, 10:20

I 'wish' I could hear the audio file section where he talks about 'becoming an aggressive batsman'.

Good grief.

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38123
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Thu 03 Sep 2009, 10:21

He was in his youth.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Thu 03 Sep 2009, 10:45

Boycs = Boring fart / selfish batsman / whinger / held long-term grudges and beat his missus.

"When I were a lad ...I can tell you ... it were important to meke shure ... zzzzzzzzzzzzzz"

Only saving grace was having him bat for 2 days solid (runs were insignificant) so that you could bunk off for a bender knowing that you'd miss nothing of any importance happening in the middle.

Merlin

Number of posts : 14718
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : afg

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Thu 03 Sep 2009, 10:50

Bit harsh to label Boycs as a slow player by todays standards.

Back in 1970-1 none of the other players were much quicker
http://www.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/63062.html
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Thu 03 Sep 2009, 10:51

Come on JKL, the phrase 'boring as batshit' was MADE for Boycs.

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Thu 03 Sep 2009, 10:57

But look at the strike rates in that game - none of the others could be called a 'dasher'

Boycs as a test player was just before my time but i'd be interested to see how his career S/R compares with his peers.
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Thu 03 Sep 2009, 11:00

That was a shocking series, though, JKL. I don't know how Test cricket survived Lawry v Illingworth.

It's probably more meaningful to look at 78-79 series strike rates.

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Thu 03 Sep 2009, 11:04

Having become interested in cricket whilst listening to the dashing 68-9 series, and watching the 1970-71 series when I was just getting into the game myself, the 1970-71 was utterly grinding, with very little attractive batting at any stage, by either side. The second fifty of GS Chappell's debut century stood out like an absolute beacon of dashing batsmanship amongst the dour efforts of Boycs, Luckhurst, Edrich, even d'Oliveira, and Ian Chappell. The wickets must have been slow puddings, barring Sydney.

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Thu 03 Sep 2009, 11:09

The 70/71 series was enough to put anyone (other than diehard cricket fanatics) off cricket for life.

Thank Gawd those days are long gone ...

Merlin

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Thu 03 Sep 2009, 11:10

Wasn't that the series that gave us the dreaded Jamodi?
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Thu 03 Sep 2009, 11:11

yep, the first ODI replaced the washed-out third Test.

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Thu 03 Sep 2009, 11:16

lardbucket wrote:That was a shocking series, though, JKL. I don't know how Test cricket survived Lawry v Illingworth.

It's probably more meaningful to look at 78-79 series strike rates.

Hmmm, not much difference in this test at least (bar his 20 ball duck)
http://www.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/63256.html

Also a bit harsh to judge someone approaching their forties and the end of their career as indicative of it overall.
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Thu 03 Sep 2009, 11:18

JKLever wrote:

Also a bit harsh to judge someone approaching their forties and the end of their career as indicative of it overall.
Errrr ... Ramps? Very Happy

Merlin

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Thu 03 Sep 2009, 11:19

I was at that game - Boycott was more interested in red ink than a century. Tragic.

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Thu 03 Sep 2009, 11:43

Merlin wrote:The 70/71 series was enough to put anyone (other than diehard cricket fanatics) off cricket for life.

Still, that series spawned our second greatest batsman, our greatest fast bowler, one of our greatest keepers and our probably our greatest captain.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Thu 03 Sep 2009, 11:44

JGK wrote:
Merlin wrote:The 70/71 series was enough to put anyone (other than diehard cricket fanatics) off cricket for life.

Still, that series spawned our second greatest batsman, our greatest fast bowler, one of our greatest keepers and our probably our greatest captain.
And biggest qunt since he retired.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105981

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Thu 03 Sep 2009, 11:45

Greg Chappell?
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Thu 03 Sep 2009, 11:46

He's the 2nd greatest bat. The other Chappell.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105981

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Thu 03 Sep 2009, 11:46

Not him - the qunt calibrater.

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Thu 03 Sep 2009, 11:48

Bit strong skulss. It'd be hard to top Harvey in the qunt stakes.
Bradman
Bradman

Number of posts : 17402
Registration date : 2008-08-13
Flag/Background : war

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next