Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

6th test Oval Eng v Aus 1989

4 posters

Go down

6th test Oval Eng v Aus 1989 Empty 6th test Oval Eng v Aus 1989

Post by JKLever Mon 03 Sep 2007, 15:07

The Oval, Aug 24th 1989 - my first test

Can't remember much, was only 16 but looked older so spent the day getting bladdered. I'd only been into cricket for 4/5 years so my only recollection of Aussie cricket was that we usually beat them and that the fat Botham usually played a part in it.

Recall being 20 minutes late for the start and just remember what a grotty area of London the Oval is in...

I remember that being 4-0 down there had been a mass clearout and Nasser Hussain & John Stephenson of Essex were selected for the 1st time.

Nas wasn't picked until that winters tour and Stevo never played again.

Our attack was led by Alan Igglesden & Gladstone Small - I remember Small's neck really was non-existant and Igglesden as being really rather garbage.

There was even a pathetic chant of Iggy,Iggy,Iggy Oi,Oi,Oi started by the bloke sat next to me. Clown...

I remember getting them something like 130-3 on a flat deck before Dean Jones slapped a quick ton in about 2 sessions. By that time though I was well and truly plastered so didn't care.

I also remember that the Aussies in the crowd really all did say 'mate' at the end of every sentence and 2 out of 3 of them did wear hats with corks.

Didn't go to another test for 14 years as I just discovered girlies...

There.

Sorted.

My contribution....
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

6th test Oval Eng v Aus 1989 Empty Re: 6th test Oval Eng v Aus 1989

Post by LeFromage Mon 03 Sep 2007, 19:24

1) you didn't discover girlies - that was someone else. Adam, perhaps. Or Joe. (I'm a little flaky on my history.)

2) Six Test series - what a throwback. Didn't anyone have anything better to do with their summers?

3) I actually remember Nasser Hussain's debut. Not from watching the match, but because me and my friends had spent a sunny day at Bournemouth beach and were getting a lift home with someone's cricket-mad dad who was listening to the radio all the way back - it was my first experience of Johnners and company and I remember being quite confused about their commentary style. Hussain was batting, but no-one was talking about that - they merely seemed to be larking around like kids. Good times.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Number of posts : 26195
Registration date : 2007-08-03
Flag/Background : fra

http://www.flamingbails.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Mon 03 Sep 2007, 20:00

I remember Nassers debut too - Sabina Park 1990 on a pitch that was so shiny you could see your face in it.

Was Skys first overseas test match and they had Greigy presenting & commentating.

Every windian wicket was greeted with 'Goodnight Charlie...'

Good times..
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Mon 03 Sep 2007, 20:07

JKLever wrote:
Every windian wicket was greeted with 'Goodnight Charlie...'

At least it wasn't "Get grovelling".

I've totally skimmed over the part where you mentioned Hussain wasn't picked in the final XI, so actually I don't remember his debut.

It was his first match after his recall against Australia at Trent Bridge in 1993 - I was miles out.

Stupid brain.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Mon 03 Sep 2007, 20:21

And that can't have been the first time I heard cricket on the radio. I was 15 in 1993 and already properly into the sport.

I suspect I've got the BSE.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary 111 Mon 03 Sep 2007, 20:23

Wasn't with Sky in those very early days - but I can remember tuning in for a Sky highlights program at the end of England's tour of India in 92/93. It was presented by Charles Colville and he started the show by going to a curry house somewhere in England and chatting with a random Indian and then filmed all the other links for the rest of the programme from the curry house.

Not that Sky were trying to racially stereotype or anything...
Gary 111
Gary 111

Number of posts : 5717
Registration date : 2007-09-02

http://www.flamingbails.com

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Fri 10 Dec 2010, 21:09

The first thread that wasn't locked
taipan
taipan