Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ramps sulking

+18
MidnightCowboy
ojitarian
furriner
Basil
Leo
Brass Monkey
S F Barnes
tac
Henry
JGK
ten years after
holcs
Zat
LeFromage
gh05
Shoeshine
Growler
THICKEDGE
22 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Ramps sulking Empty Ramps sulking

Post by THICKEDGE Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:09 pm

http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/england/content/current/story/317942.html

Not much of a surprise that you didn't get selected with your terrible record Ramps!

Get over it.
THICKEDGE
THICKEDGE

Number of posts : 434
Registration date : 2007-09-08
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Ramps sulking Empty Re: Ramps sulking

Post by Growler Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:33 am

I think he has a point though. He must have been seriously considered at some point for the selectors to approach him in the first place, and the last two seasons stats are streets ahead of the rest.

If non-selection was due to doubts about his temperament & general ability to handle the pressure - why was he even considered? After all, his ability has never been questioned, only whether he can handle the big match situations.
Growler
Growler

Ramps sulking MPDozzd

Number of posts : 2286
Registration date : 2007-10-14
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:50 am

Bet he has a carp season next. Nothing left to achieve bar the hundred FC hundreds.

Back to top Go down

Post by Shoeshine Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:51 am

Growler wrote:I think he has a point though. He must have been seriously considered at some point for the selectors to approach him in the first place

Maybe the selectors sobered up?

Shoeshine

Ramps sulking Svlx7uN

Number of posts : 4512
Registration date : 2007-09-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Growler Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:00 am

Shoeshine wrote:
Growler wrote:I think he has a point though. He must have been seriously considered at some point for the selectors to approach him in the first place

Maybe the selectors sobered up?

LOL

We have enough decent batsmen 10 years younger than Ramps I really can't understand why anyone asked him about his future plans.

Such a shame he cudn't hack the pressure at international level because he was - and still is - a class act at domestic level.
Growler
Growler

Ramps sulking MPDozzd

Number of posts : 2286
Registration date : 2007-10-14

Back to top Go down

Post by gh05 Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:46 am

He should have been selected. Selectors again showing a lack of faith in the county system there. You can't have a batsman average 100+ in back to back seasons and not pick him. That's ridiculous regardless of his age. This is another example of where central contracts go wrong too. Ramps has a good point here.

gh05

Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:09 am

gh05 wrote:You can't have a batsman average 100+ in back to back seasons and not pick him. That's ridiculous regardless of his age. .

The flip-side, though, is that you can't give a guy 50 Tests to prove he's not good enough only to then pick him for yet another final, final, final, definitely the last chance, final, now or never, final, we mean it, no going back, final shot at the tail-end of his career. That too would be ridiculous.

England have probably got it about right.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Number of posts : 26195
Registration date : 2007-08-04
Flag/Background : fra

http://www.flamingbails.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:06 pm

Maybe they're saving him for the 09 Ashes.

Zat

Number of posts : 28872
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by holcs Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:53 pm

Proof will be in how Bellhop and the like go in Sri Lanka as to whether they got the selection right!!!
holcs
holcs

Number of posts : 5481

Back to top Go down

Post by ten years after Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:03 pm

Dello wrote:
gh05 wrote:You can't have a batsman average 100+ in back to back seasons and not pick him. That's ridiculous regardless of his age. .

The flip-side, though, is that you can't give a guy 50 Tests to prove he's not good enough only to then pick him for yet another final, final, final, definitely the last chance, final, now or never, final, we mean it, no going back, final shot at the tail-end of his career. That too would be ridiculous.

England have probably got it about right.

When a person's last test was five and a half years ago their test record is absolutely, 100%, completely and totally irrelevant.

This makes as much sense as rejecting a share offer purely because 5 years ago you bought similar stock and made a loss.

ten years after

Number of posts : 1210
Registration date : 2007-09-09

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:12 pm

For the same reason - Michael Bevan's non-selection after 1998 was national disgrace and cost us at least one series.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Registration date : 2007-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:16 pm

I actually think he's been so prolific in the last couple of years because he'd thought that his chances of playing for England had gone, meaning he's relaxed more because he isnt battling to try and regain an England place.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:27 pm

Henry wrote:I actually think he's been so prolific in the last couple of years because he'd thought that his chances of playing for England had gone, meaning he's relaxed more because he isnt battling to try and regain an England place.

But he obviously has been looking for a recall or he wouldn't be sulking, so what a farkin stupid comment, Henry . . .
tac
tac

Number of posts : 19270
Flag/Background : pon

Back to top Go down

Post by S F Barnes Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:54 pm

If they felt he was too old and his past record too weak to warrant a recall, they should never have called him IMO.
S F Barnes
S F Barnes

Number of posts : 276
Registration date : 2007-09-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Shoeshine Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:06 pm

tac wrote:
Henry wrote:I actually think he's been so prolific in the last couple of years because he'd thought that his chances of playing for England had gone, meaning he's relaxed more because he isnt battling to try and regain an England place.

But he obviously has been looking for a recall or he wouldn't be sulking, so what a farkin stupid comment, Henry . . .

I don't think it's a stupid comment at all. It's only very recently that a recall has been remotely mooted. And Ramprakash himself said he was just enjoying his cricket because he wasn't thinking about England.

You're playing the man not the ball there.

Shoeshine

Ramps sulking Svlx7uN

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:32 pm

Shoeshine wrote:
tac wrote:

I don't think it's a stupid comment at all. It's only very recently that a recall has been remotely mooted. And Ramprakash himself said he was just enjoying his cricket because he wasn't thinking about England.

You're playing the man not the ball there.

What do you expect him to say? Immediately after 2005 he would not have been thinking recall, sure. But with his continued good form, even last season it would have been in his mind.

BTW, Shoey, I don't play the man (or whatever Henry might be).
tac
tac

Back to top Go down

Post by holcs Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:43 pm

I think he had eveery right to feel miffed about not be recalled, especially with Strauss and Bell in poor form...

2 seasons at over 100 Ave, best player by far on show for 36 months, incredible consistency... How can you not get a go.

And has someone has said earlier, his last test was 5 years ago.. Thats a long time in sport and players change in all sorts of ways. More importantly so dop the opposition, and we know how the standard of bowling has decreased over those 5 years...
holcs
holcs

Number of posts : 5481

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:33 pm

Geez tac, I have got under your skin, havent I. Smile

If you read what Ramps says, he is only miffed because the selectors had contacted him at the end of THIS LAST SEASON to see how he was travelling. He feels that he has been picked up and dropped again in a very short space of time.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:40 pm

Henry wrote:Geez tac, I have got under your skin, havent I. Smile

If you read what Ramps says, he is only miffed because the selectors had contacted him at the end of THIS LAST SEASON to see how he was travelling. He feels that he has been picked up and dropped again in a very short space of time.

You flatter yourself. I'm just calling a spade a spade.
tac
tac

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:44 pm

Henry, Shoeshine... please find me the link of an interview with Ramprakash where he said he's been playing well because he hasn't been thinking of an England recall. Or just as good would be a link to an interview where he says he hasn't been thinking of an England recall.

I have no recollection of such a statement by him ever.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Shoeshine Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:48 pm

Batfink Begins wrote:Henry, Shoeshine... please find me the link of an interview with Ramprakash where he said he's been playing well because he hasn't been thinking of an England recall. Or just as good would be a link to an interview where he says he hasn't been thinking of an England recall.

I have no recollection of such a statement by him ever.

Couldn't possibly mate. I just recall him saying as much when interviewed on either radio or telly. Now could I have got that wrong? Of course. But I just remember him saying that. You can either believe me or not, that's up to you. I've hardly got some kind of agenda on this {shrugs}

Shoeshine

Ramps sulking Svlx7uN

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:16 pm

Shoeshine wrote:Couldn't possibly mate. I just recall him saying as much when interviewed on either radio or telly. Now could I have got that wrong? Of course. But I just remember him saying that. You can either believe me or not, that's up to you. I've hardly got some kind of agenda on this {shrugs}

Makes no difference either way what I believe so it's not like I'm up for cast iron evidence. Whenever I've heard him interviewed, he's never ever ruled it out. That's why I asked. He's always broached around it like 'realistically... but, no... if the selectors ask, I'll be more than happy to..' and so on. Even last season, they were down at Slurrey and Chas C asked Ramps if the recall was on because he'd just seen Ramps talking to Geoff Miller. Ramps was all like: "Ha ha, no, he didn't say I was on for a recall - though if he was I'd be more than up for it... he was asking me about a couple of other players.." so I've always assumed he's well up for it, will always be up for it as long as he plays.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:17 pm

Geoff Miller replied in the studio: "I'm not ruling anyone out of selection if they've made themselves available and Ramps is a class player... he's near the top of my list.".
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:19 pm

Batfink Begins wrote:
Shoeshine wrote:Couldn't possibly mate. I just recall him saying as much when interviewed on either radio or telly. Now could I have got that wrong? Of course. But I just remember him saying that. You can either believe me or not, that's up to you. I've hardly got some kind of agenda on this {shrugs}

Makes no difference either way what I believe so it's not like I'm up for cast iron evidence. Whenever I've heard him interviewed, he's never ever ruled it out. That's why I asked. He's always broached around it like 'realistically... but, no... if the selectors ask, I'll be more than happy to..' and so on. Even last season, they were down at Slurrey and Chas C asked Ramps if the recall was on because he'd just seen Ramps talking to Geoff Miller. Ramps was all like: "Ha ha, no, he didn't say I was on for a recall - though if he was I'd be more than up for it... he was asking me about a couple of other players.." so I've always assumed he's well up for it, will always be up for it as long as he plays.

More than that, Batters, I can remember Ramps being touted for a possible recall even before the '06/07 Ashes. To say he has played well coz he no longer cares about playing for England is just bollocks.
tac
tac

Back to top Go down

Post by Shoeshine Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:21 pm

Batfink Begins wrote:

Oh, you wouldn't expect him to rule it out. But I do recall (I think it was a Radio 5 interviewer) specifically putting it to him that his form may have been at least partly down to him just enjoying his cricket without the pressure of trying to get an England place, and he agreed.

Shoeshine

Ramps sulking Svlx7uN

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next