Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Beckham - best English right midfielder ever or....

+9
Brass Monkey
Makaveli
Merlin
lardbucket
JKLever
Shoeshine
JGK
horace
skully
13 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Beckham - best English right midfielder or ...

Beckham - best English right midfielder ever or.... - Page 4 Vote_lcap15%Beckham - best English right midfielder ever or.... - Page 4 Vote_rcap 15% 
[ 2 ]
Beckham - best English right midfielder ever or.... - Page 4 Vote_lcap38%Beckham - best English right midfielder ever or.... - Page 4 Vote_rcap 38% 
[ 5 ]
Beckham - best English right midfielder ever or.... - Page 4 Vote_lcap0%Beckham - best English right midfielder ever or.... - Page 4 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Beckham - best English right midfielder ever or.... - Page 4 Vote_lcap31%Beckham - best English right midfielder ever or.... - Page 4 Vote_rcap 31% 
[ 4 ]
Beckham - best English right midfielder ever or.... - Page 4 Vote_lcap15%Beckham - best English right midfielder ever or.... - Page 4 Vote_rcap 15% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 13

Beckham - best English right midfielder ever or.... - Page 4 Empty Re: Beckham - best English right midfielder ever or....

Post by Allan D Mon 15 Mar 2010, 23:05

No place in the top 50, though, for the only player to captain England at both cricket and football who was.... :?:
Allan D
Allan D

Number of posts : 6635
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Beckham - best English right midfielder ever or.... - Page 4 Empty Re: Beckham - best English right midfielder ever or....

Post by Guest Mon 15 Mar 2010, 23:20

Arthur Milton. What do I get?

Back to top Go down

Post by Allan D Mon 15 Mar 2010, 23:26

vilkrang wrote:Arthur Milton. What do I get?

Close, but no cigar. Played for England at football (1 match v. Austria, 1951) and cricket (6 Tests v. NZ, Oz & India 1958-9 including a century on debut) but captained in neither (except for Gloucestershire in 1968 when I saw him play at Trent Bridge in a Gillette Cup match). The player (or should I say gentleman) I'm thinking of made perhaps the most remarkable debut of all (at least in one international sporting contest).
Allan D
Allan D

Back to top Go down

Post by Shoeshine Tue 16 Mar 2010, 00:03

R E Foster.

Shoeshine

Beckham - best English right midfielder ever or.... - Page 4 Svlx7uN

Number of posts : 4512
Registration date : 2007-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 16 Mar 2010, 00:05

Ah well. I don't really like cigars anyway.

Back to top Go down

Post by Allan D Tue 16 Mar 2010, 00:38

Shoeshine wrote:R E Foster.

Yes, one of seven brothers who all played for Worcestershire (when it became known as "Fostershire" although not Frank Foster who captained Warwickshire to their first Championship success in 1911 and was vc on the 1911-12 MCC tour of Australia and was no relation) 'Tip' Foster famously made the then record Test score of 287 at the SCG in his debut Test innings in December 1903 (still the record score made on debut). Business limited him to just one full season in fc cricket in which he made over 2200 runs @ over 50. The season before he had made the then record score in the Varsity Match (171) and scored centuries in both innings for the Gentlemen v. the Players.

Foster played inside-right for the Corinthians (a team made up of Oxford & Cambridge graduates) as well as appearing 5 times for England between 1900 and 1903, captaining England on his last appearance against Wales in 1903. In 1901 he scored two goals in a 3-0 victory over Ireland at Southampton for an England side that included C.B.Fry at right-back. He once scored all six goals for a Football League XI v. a German League XI.

He played in 8 Tests for England, captaining them in the 3-match series of South Africa's first tour in 1907. He was never able to match his first 7 hours (less 1 minute) as a Test batsman. Sadly, he died at the age of 36 of diabetes in a pre-insulin age.

An interesting list of England football captains that includes Foster, as well as the very first, Cuthbert Ottaway, an Old Etonian snob who looked down on the lower orders, and the player who the article describes, with only slight exaggeration, as

probably the greatest sportsman who ever lived

but who is totally obscure today. I think Terry and Ferdinand would have difficulty fitting into that company:

England football captains
Allan D
Allan D

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Wed 17 Mar 2010, 20:10

vilkrang wrote:Erm... No...

What a strange thing to say.

Well the top England player (per Allan's list) rates him.
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by Allan D Wed 17 Mar 2010, 21:27

Duncan Edwards I unhesitatingly say was the best player I ever played with. I never thought I could be as good as him. Never. Never.

Munich Remembered
Allan D
Allan D

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4