Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chappell 'I was racially attacked in India'

+9
Henry
please don't yell
embee
tac
Josh Carney
LeFromage
doremi
Ash
rey
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Chappell 'I was racially attacked in India' Empty Chappell 'I was racially attacked in India'

Post by rey Tue 13 Nov 2007, 18:31

Chappell accuses Indian board of cover-up

Cricinfo staff

November 13, 2007

Greg Chappell: Not supported by the Indian board © Getty Images

Greg Chappell believes he was the victim of a racist attack during his difficult two-year tenure as India's coach, and in an ABC documentary to be screened next week, hits out at the Indian authorities who he feels attempted to play down a serious breach of security at Bhubaneswar Airport, in the eastern state of Orissa.

The team had just arrived to play a one-day international against West Indies in January this year when a fan burst out of the crowd and threw a punch at Chappell. "I got hit on the side of the head and my immediate reaction was 'he's broken my jaw'," Chappell told the documentary team.

Although there was a suggestion at the time that the lack of local representation in the Indian team was the motive for the attack, Chappell was not so sure. "Indians are very quick to complain about racism," he said. "There are plenty of Indian cricketers the guy could have attacked but he chose to attack me.

In a recent interview with The Australian, Chappell elaborated on the events that followed the incident, in particular the lack of action from the Indian board. "As I said to the BCCI in a letter, had it been one of the players who was attacked there would have been an outcry, but because it was me no-one seemed to care. The reply came back talking about my racist comments.

"There was a cover-up," he added. "Everyone went into cover-up mode. It was quite obvious it was a serious assault. It wasn't just a push in the back as the media was led to believe. The whole thing was played down. The only phone call I got from the BCCI asked me whether it really happened."

As far as Chappell was concerned, there is no question what happened. "This bloke came in from behind and gave me a whack in the right ear," he told The Australian. "Luckily he yelled out as he was leaping through the air to punch me and gave me enough warning to pull away a little bit.

"It was still a fairly solid blow. My legs buckled, but I had a briefcase on wheels with a long handle and I was able to use it as support to stop me from going down."

http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/india/content/current/story/319671.html
rey
rey

Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2007-10-09
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Chappell 'I was racially attacked in India' Empty Re: Chappell 'I was racially attacked in India'

Post by Ash Tue 13 Nov 2007, 18:55

whinge whinge whinge....great player but a complete tosser and waste of money
Ash
Ash

Chappell 'I was racially attacked in India' MPDozzd

Number of posts : 2000
Registration date : 2007-09-05

Back to top Go down

Chappell 'I was racially attacked in India' Empty Re: Chappell 'I was racially attacked in India'

Post by doremi Tue 13 Nov 2007, 19:47

It was a big mistake on the part of the Orissa police, considering the importance of the cricket team and the amount of security they get everywhere, but what cover p is he talking about? It was all over the news channels and the newspapers for quite a few days. The man was a loony from a small time group who was 'protesting' the under representation of Orissa players.
doremi
doremi

Number of posts : 9743
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Tue 13 Nov 2007, 19:56

Wouldn't it be easier to list the people who haven't punched a member of the Chappell family in the face?
LeFromage
LeFromage

Number of posts : 26195
Registration date : 2007-08-03
Flag/Background : fra

http://www.flamingbails.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Josh Carney Tue 13 Nov 2007, 21:04

Chappell making a fool of himself with his comments. Chappell polarised the team and the fans with some of his extreme views and that is why he was unpopular.

Josh Carney

Number of posts : 1751
Registration date : 2007-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Tue 13 Nov 2007, 22:53

Well that would excuse being assaulted by a "fan" . . .
tac
tac

Number of posts : 19270
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : pon

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Wed 14 Nov 2007, 02:18

I cant believe the BCCorIab missed out on this money spinning idea ....

$5 a pop to smack Greg Chappell in the head ....World poverty solved
embee
embee

Number of posts : 26215
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by please don't yell Wed 14 Nov 2007, 02:19

The pcb could get in on the act, i would probably pay 20 for a crack at lawson.

please don't yell

Number of posts : 1138

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Wed 14 Nov 2007, 12:50

Why is he still being employed by Indian cricket? How can they keep employing someone who is too quick to roll his eyes and blame something that goes wrong on the system? Cant do much for the confidence of a player he is coaching.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Wed 14 Nov 2007, 22:10

Racism against Sozzies?

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38112
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by SG Thu 15 Nov 2007, 03:05

Henry wrote:Why is he still being employed by Indian cricket? How can they keep employing someone who is too quick to roll his eyes and blame something that goes wrong on the system? Cant do much for the confidence of a player he is coaching.
Lalit Modi is to be blamed for that.

He is the one who brought him again in India as Director of Cricket for Rajasthan only to see them losing to miserably placed team like Delhi by quite a margin in their only match of Ranji super league.

SG

Number of posts : 12806

Back to top Go down

Post by HH_pink Thu 15 Nov 2007, 03:19

SG wrote:
Henry wrote:Why is he still being employed by Indian cricket? How can they keep employing someone who is too quick to roll his eyes and blame something that goes wrong on the system? Cant do much for the confidence of a player he is coaching.
Lalit Modi is to be blamed for that.

He is the one who brought him again in India as Director of Cricket for Rajasthan only to see them losing to miserably placed team like Delhi by quite a margin in their only match of Ranji super league.

To be fair, you can't expect a person in an administrative (atleast not directly hands-on) position like that to achieve any short-term results. Chappell was not a great fan of the short-term anyway. I'm sure his presence would be a great help to cricket in Rajasthan in the long run.
HH_pink
HH_pink

Chappell 'I was racially attacked in India' APSeEpm

Number of posts : 3353

Back to top Go down

Post by doremi Thu 15 Nov 2007, 03:33

They were actually quite decent last year. Got to the Ranji ODI finals I think. And Chappell is, I think, involved with the youth in the academy in Rajasthan, though I'm not sure.
doremi
doremi

Number of posts : 9743

Back to top Go down

Post by HH_pink Thu 15 Nov 2007, 03:40

doremi wrote:They were actually quite decent last year. Got to the Ranji ODI finals I think. And Chappell is, I think, involved with the youth in the academy in Rajasthan, though I'm not sure.

Ranji ODI finals pah. For all you know they could still do that again.
HH_pink
HH_pink

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Thu 15 Nov 2007, 04:15

his appointment makes a lot of sense and it is good he is staying despite the attack
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Thu 15 Nov 2007, 04:29

So I guess Rajasthan will be hoping that Chappell can achieve similar success with them as he did with South Australia.....
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by SG Thu 15 Nov 2007, 04:38

There is a difference between the 2 situations, Trevor.

He was a coach of South Australia, while as HH said, he'll be in an administrative position for Rajasthan.

SG

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Thu 15 Nov 2007, 04:39

Well, India chose Chappell over Moody. Idiots. It's not as though any of this was unpredictable.

Although Chappell is a better man manager now than he was when he led South Australia.

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by SG Thu 15 Nov 2007, 04:41

Yep, BCCI went for glamour and fame attached with Chappell's name over Moody's quiet diligence and rightly paid the price.

SG

Back to top Go down

Post by HH_pink Thu 15 Nov 2007, 05:12

horace wrote:his appointment makes a lot of sense and it is good he is staying despite the attack

Actually, horrie, he accepted the position after the attack in the first place.
HH_pink
HH_pink

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Thu 15 Nov 2007, 05:22

He's used to being reviled. He's a Sozzie, Ian Chappell's brother, and his image adorns the centre of many a dartboard in New Zealand.

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Thu 15 Nov 2007, 05:25

Australians hated him after the underarm incident as well, didnt they?
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Thu 15 Nov 2007, 05:26

Most were disgusted.

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Thu 15 Nov 2007, 05:32

I was amused.
tac
tac

Number of posts : 19270
Flag/Background : pon

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Thu 15 Nov 2007, 05:34

I thought the gesture was wasted in a JAMODI ...

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next