Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hussey: we're better than fifth in the world!!

+13
PeterCS
Bradman
Basil
Josh Carney
SG
doremi
lardbucket
skully
embee
Henry
horace
JGK
Red
17 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Hussey: we're better than fifth in the world!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Hussey: we're better than fifth in the world!!

Post by skully Tue 19 Oct 2010, 12:37

A fair call, Red. This is a real weak link in the Test rankings. Pretty much only Aus v Eng series are now played over the traditional 5 Tests. Even 3 Test series can be a lottery.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105970
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Hussey: we're better than fifth in the world!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Hussey: we're better than fifth in the world!!

Post by lardbucket Tue 19 Oct 2010, 12:41

The top 5 are all close these days. It's not like those years when we were at number 1, with day;light second ...

The rankings are a bit strange, with India and Sri Lanka having never won in Australia, yet being ranked above. I wonder what effect a single decision from Billy Bowden in Test 1 India v Australia might have had (ie, what effect would it have had if we'd drawn a series with the number 1 team, away?).

Still, no complaints. So long as we beat New Zealand.

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38112
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by doremi Tue 19 Oct 2010, 19:03

Aus are the joint 3rd best team along with Eng. SL aren't good enough to be at 3.
doremi
doremi

Number of posts : 9743
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by SG Wed 20 Oct 2010, 13:26

lardbucket wrote:I wonder what effect a single decision from Billy Bowden in Test 1 India v Australia might have had (ie, what effect would it have had if we'd drawn a series with the number 1 team, away?).
Same here.

I wonder what effect would have Bucknor getting back his eyes and ears in THAT test on fortunes of Indian cricket. We'd have at least drawn a test series against no.1 test team away.

Or Billy & Gould not screwing Gambhir & Ishant in Mohali test. Or both of them not reprieving Katich at least 3 times during his 2nd innings of that test.

We'd have won pretty convincingly instead of that heart stopping win.

SG

Number of posts : 12806
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by Josh Carney Thu 21 Oct 2010, 00:23

What this means is that we will have a cracking ashes this time around. The Aussies are hurting. The English are confident yet a little weary due to the "Aussie" home advantage. At the end of the day the best contests are between closlely matched teams. We have got that this time and I reckon that the public will be voting with their attendance. Bring it on.

Josh Carney

Number of posts : 1751
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by Josh Carney Thu 21 Oct 2010, 00:24

On Hussey himself I would say he is a little delusional. Wonder if he feeld that his real average is 80 + and not what the score board says given that he was up there in the first 2 or so years, in ODIs anycase.

Josh Carney

Number of posts : 1751

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Thu 21 Oct 2010, 00:35

He should have quit/been dropped from tests after the last ashes and concentrated solely on ODIs and T20s, where he remains a force.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Thu 21 Oct 2010, 01:01

Henry wrote:He should have quit/been dropped from tests after the last ashes and concentrated solely on ODIs and T20s, where he remains a force.

He got a hundred in his last Ashes test innings.
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Thu 21 Oct 2010, 01:02

And that could yet turn out to be a blessing in disguise for England.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Thu 21 Oct 2010, 01:21

Henry wrote:And that could yet turn out to be a blessing in disguise for England.

I'd drink myself into a coma if they dropped him for Cam White.
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Thu 21 Oct 2010, 04:10

I'm thinking of putting serious money on England this Summer and not just to whoof them.

The weather (and some of the long range forecasts are scary) may end up saving us for once.
Bradman
Bradman

Number of posts : 17402
Registration date : 2008-08-13
Flag/Background : war

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Thu 21 Oct 2010, 07:53

So it's forecast to piss it down this summer?

Rain wont stop play at all then....
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Thu 21 Oct 2010, 08:14

Drainage is pretty good in most Aussie grounds so unless it pisses down incessantly, the weather shouldn't be a huge factor.

BTW Hussey was dropped during his last Ashes innings which could have saved him at the time from test oblivion.
Red
Red

Number of posts : 17071
Registration date : 2007-10-28

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Thu 21 Oct 2010, 08:15

He was dropped several times in his subsequent ton as well.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Thu 21 Oct 2010, 08:20

Red wrote:.

BTW Hussey was dropped during his last Ashes innings which could have saved him at the time from test oblivion.

NTR

Spoiler:
embee
embee

Number of posts : 26215
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Thu 21 Oct 2010, 11:50

I think Paris will do OK this summer.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105970

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Thu 21 Oct 2010, 12:27

Eyetest time.

I read this thread title as: "We're better than filth in the world".

I was just about to say that's setting the bar nice and low, when the penny dropped.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by WideWally Thu 21 Oct 2010, 12:37

skully wrote:I think Paris will do OK this summer.

So do I.
WideWally
WideWally

Number of posts : 9702
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Thu 21 Oct 2010, 12:44

If by 'OK' you mean an average of around 35 (Which is what he averages since the start of 2009 anyway), then yes, I agree as well.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Thu 21 Oct 2010, 12:56

I think he will do a lot better than that. I have no idea why.

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38112

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Thu 21 Oct 2010, 14:07

He is a man with a mission. A man with a new mission.

Manumission could be his slogan.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Thu 21 Oct 2010, 14:10

So about five of you have bigged him up for the ashes.

He's doomed now.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Thu 21 Oct 2010, 21:24

skully wrote:I think Paris will do OK this summer.
I hope Paris will do OK this summer. But hope is not a sound operational method.

Zat

Number of posts : 28872
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Mon 25 Oct 2010, 12:47

I heard Mickey Arthur interviewed tonight on radio. He maintains that Australia and South Africa are the two best teams in the world because they can win outside of home.

He predicts Australia to narrowly win the Ashes and SA to be a bit too strong for India.

Having been involved in the Aussie domestic scene he rates it marginally ahead of SA's domestic comp. followed by county cricket in terms of the pecking order for breeding cricketers.
Red
Red

Number of posts : 17071
Registration date : 2007-10-28

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Mon 25 Oct 2010, 13:58

Red wrote:I heard Mickey Arthur interviewed tonight on radio. He maintains that Australia and South Africa are the two best teams in the world because they can win outside of home.

He predicts Australia to narrowly win the Ashes and SA to be a bit too strong for India.

Having been involved in the Aussie domestic scene he rates it marginally ahead of SA's domestic comp. followed by county cricket in terms of the pecking order for breeding cricketers.

When was the last time we did that?

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next