Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England Player Ratings

4 posters

Go down

England Player Ratings Empty England Player Ratings

Post by Basil Wed 25 Jun 2014, 19:04

Cook 2: not much more to be said. Bereft of form with the bat and anything that vaguely resembled creative thinking in the field.

Robson 6.5: did not look international class in the first test, but made up for that in the second, despite looking quite "forced.". Will never empty bars when he comes in to bat.

Ballance 7: Looked at home at number three, played within his limitations. Can't ask any more than that.

Bell 4.5: Senior batsman / unofficial vice-captain - whatever! Not enough runs. End of.

Root: 7: return to form at Lords - footwork still unconvincing though.

Moeen 8: could have been on his way out of the side with a low score in the second innings. Showed calmness under pressure and a better bowler than many give him credit for.

Prior 5.5: runs at Lords. Keeping still below par and now a weakness to the short-pitched ball. Not convinced that this is the second coming.

Jordan 5.5.: disappointed with the ball after the ODIs. Has some real talent with the bat though. Will probably be dropped for Stokes.

Broad 5: is he fit? It did not look like  it in the second test - dozy bowling in the second innings.

Plunkett 7: The "Enforcer!" Good pace, but not necessarily good direction - still a real plus in a sea of negatives.

Anderson 6.5: probably doesn't want to return to Headingley for as long as he lives. Good form at Lords though.
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

England Player Ratings Empty Re: England Player Ratings

Post by PeterCS Wed 25 Jun 2014, 19:58

The only one I'd disagree with is probably Ballance. One good innings. Doesn't look the part at 3 on the evidence I've seen. Maybe a 6.

Jordan. I'd round it up to 6. Headingley was not his ideal conditions. He may well be dropped for Stokes, but if so, I hope a la "good start, keep it up, we'd like you to take over from Jim or Broady in due course - or maybe earlier in case of injury or (further) loss of form by one of them". As opposed to a "oh btw yer out, sunshine".

Plunkett maybe a 7.5 - more pace in the track will suit him. Was the best quick (admittedly of a not great lot). Had he not thrown away his wicket as N/W, might even have found him an 8. Cheering that thre is a life after death - much improved.

As for Robson. England very much need a batsman atm who doesn't clear the bars. Or to put it another way, give palpitations each delivery. Only 1 hit out of 4 tries, so not higher than your score. Yet.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Wed 25 Jun 2014, 21:36

I'm in agreement with the both of you. And neither of you.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Chivalry Augustus Wed 25 Jun 2014, 22:01

I'd probably give them all 10, if I'm honest. To go from 0-5 to 0-1 in the space of six months makes for a pretty significant improvement. We're getting there, we're making progress. With bad apples like KP consigned to the compost heap where they belong, I can't see beyond this next generation of England players going on and dominating.
Chivalry Augustus
Chivalry Augustus

England Player Ratings Svlx7uN

Number of posts : 4864
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down