Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England test squad for the UAE

+11
horace
Chivalry Augustus
LeFromage
lardbucket
taipan
Lindsay no.2
PeterCS
Brass Monkey
Basil
Merlin
Henry
15 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

England test squad for the UAE - Page 5 Empty Re: England test squad for the UAE

Post by Henry Thu 08 Oct 2015, 15:36

Looks like Finn may have bowled his way into the test team ahead of Wood.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

England test squad for the UAE - Page 5 Empty Re: England test squad for the UAE

Post by Lindsay no.2 Thu 08 Oct 2015, 20:59

Henry wrote:Looks like Finn may have bowled his way into the test team ahead of Wood.

Was just reading about that and Finn doesn't seem too confident that he's done enough.

Also I was at first confused when I read the scorecard as Pak A being 192-12 and thought those cunning Pakistanis and their slippery ways, they are at it again. Then I read on and saw it was a days worth of batting for each side. Perhaps it's worth a try in a real test - just keep sending batsmen out in the hope that the umps don't notice. They don't pick up on no-balls any more so they'd probably forget seeing the same batsman 2 or 3 times.

Lindsay no.2

Number of posts : 1267
Registration date : 2015-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Thu 08 Oct 2015, 21:24

Lindsay no.2 wrote:
Henry wrote:Looks like Finn may have bowled his way into the test team ahead of Wood.

Was just reading about that and Finn doesn't seem too confident that he's done enough.

Also I was at first confused when I read the scorecard as Pak A being 192-12 and thought those cunning Pakistanis and their slippery ways, they are at it again. Then I read on and saw it was a days worth of batting for each side. Perhaps it's worth a try in a real test - just keep sending batsmen out in the hope that the umps don't notice. They don't pick up on no-balls any more so they'd probably forget seeing the same batsman 2 or 3 times.

Considering England were humiliated last time they played in the UAE in 2011, two two day glorified net sessions is hardly decent preparation.

Perhaps they're just shoring up their excuses for when they get thrashed again. "The schedule did;t allow a better warm up..." etc.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by Lindsay no.2 Thu 08 Oct 2015, 21:44

Henry wrote:
Lindsay no.2 wrote:

Considering England were humiliated last time they played in the UAE in 2011, two two day glorified net sessions is hardly decent preparation.

Perhaps they're just shoring up their excuses for when they get thrashed again. "The schedule did;t allow a better warm up..." etc.

Heehee - probably right.

Finn would do well to be the drinks waiter.

That said Pakistan don't have the demon chucker in their ranks this time around so perhaps it won't be quite as one-sided as last time, althoguh the scoreline may end up the same.

Lindsay no.2

Number of posts : 1267
Registration date : 2015-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Fri 09 Oct 2015, 09:23

Looks to me, from this distant chair, that Ian Ronald Bell will be opening the batting for England. Holy hell.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Fri 09 Oct 2015, 09:25

Brass Monkey wrote:Looks to me, from this distant chair, that Ian Ronald Bell will be opening the batting for England. Holy hell.

Why didn't they think of this before?
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Fri 09 Oct 2015, 09:32

Because he hasn't got the gumption to stick it out.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Fri 09 Oct 2015, 09:47

Brass Monkey wrote:Because he hasn't got the gumption to stick it out.

Lateral thinking Dan. The plan worked well for Trott, Compton, Carberry etc.
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Fri 09 Oct 2015, 11:13

True. Plus he's good a cuddles. It's hard to find a good cuddler in this day and age. It's all donkey punches and blumpkin huricanranas.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Fri 09 Oct 2015, 12:03

So it'll be the long awaited I Ron Chef opening partnership?

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38611
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Fri 09 Oct 2015, 13:07

Looks to me like it was a Cricinfo f*ck up and Bell did actually bat at three with Hales opening.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Fri 09 Oct 2015, 13:56

Sort of a moot little bit of deliberation, anyway - have you noticed the rest of the batting line-up is a sack of shit in these conditions?
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Fri 09 Oct 2015, 14:01

Well of course. After talking up positive, aggressive cricket during the Summer, they now seem to have talked themselves into attritional, dour cricket here. Play your natural game? Express yourself? Show off your talent? Nah, now it's "cling on for dear life."

Perhaps one day they'll learn to just see the ball bowled to them, and without any pre-conceived ideas, just play the f*cking thing on its merits.

I'll be shocked if any England batsmen apart from Cook and Root average more than 20. Five of the top seven are rabbits in the headlights.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Fri 09 Oct 2015, 15:08

None of Buttler, Stokes and Bairstow can spin bowling, at all, so that's your possible 5, 6 and 7 out of the equation, which is a big hole in the batting line up. But as you've mentioned, the crabbing is the worst part - I recognise that slow and low also slows the tempo, but it already seems to be attritional. It doesn't bode well.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by tricycle Fri 09 Oct 2015, 15:34

Buttler is surprising because he really was a success in the Lions tour in Sri Lanka when even Taylor failed. Then again, he is completely out of form.

As for Stokes, I'd not have had him for this tour. A fourth seamer and a player who struggles against spin where he's most likely going to face a staple of Shah and Babar...

tricycle

Number of posts : 13355
Registration date : 2011-12-17
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Fri 09 Oct 2015, 17:37

Dread. That is all.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Number of posts : 26195
Registration date : 2007-08-03
Flag/Background : fra

http://www.flamingbails.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5