Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

West Indies fail to qualify for World Cup

+6
lardbucket
skully
Nath
PeterCS
horace
Norfolk Ian Goode
10 posters

Go down

West Indies fail to qualify for World Cup Empty West Indies fail to qualify for World Cup

Post by Norfolk Ian Goode Sat 01 Jul 2023, 14:49

A pretty seismic moment in cricket history. The cricketing “nation” of Sobers, Richards, Lara, Holding, Marshall and Ambrose, sent packing by Holland and Scotland. I’ve followed this qualifying competition with some interest given the big names at risk, but kind of thought when it came down to it, SL and WI would come through comfortably.

If you think back to their status a few decades ago, it’s almost equivalent to Brazil failing to qualify for football’s showpiece or New Zealand being absent from the rugby version. It’s been a shocking decline over 25 years or so, most obviously in Test cricket but now the white ball team has followed suit.

Given this is the last edition of the 10-team format, it’s probably a one-off absence, but you have to ask, where now for Caribbean cricket?

Norfolk Ian Goode

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2021-08-31
Flag/Background : eng

Red likes this post

Back to top Go down

West Indies fail to qualify for World Cup Empty Re: West Indies fail to qualify for World Cup

Post by horace Sat 01 Jul 2023, 16:34

Very sad.

Did not get round to it but was going to check when it was the WI followed up a 5-0 flogging of England in England with another 5-0 result in the Caribbean.

My heroes from the 60/61 series were all West Indian, aside from Wally Grout.
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

West Indies fail to qualify for World Cup Empty Re: West Indies fail to qualify for World Cup

Post by Norfolk Ian Goode Sat 01 Jul 2023, 17:04

horace wrote:Very sad.

Did not get round to it but was going to check when it was the WI followed up a 5-0 flogging of England in England with another 5-0 result in the Caribbean.
Was 1984 and 85/86 I believe, we went there just after winning the Ashes and got demolished (as did Gatting’s nose thanks to Marshall). I think only rain prevented a hat-trick of whitewashes in ‘88 (the infamous Summer of the Four Captains).

We’ve still only won one Test series over there (the Harmison series of 2004) in over half a century!

Norfolk Ian Goode

horace likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Sat 01 Jul 2023, 17:10

Norfolk Ian Goode wrote:
horace wrote:Very sad.

Was 1984 and 85/86 I believe, we went there just after winning the Ashes and got demolished (as did Gatting’s nose thanks to Marshall). I think only rain prevented a hat-trick of whitewashes in ‘88.

We’ve still only won one Test series over there (the Harmison series of 2004) in over half a century!

Many thanks. WI were in their absolute pomp.
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by Norfolk Ian Goode Sat 01 Jul 2023, 17:12

That Ashes series of 1985 was the first I saw, and I expected England to always win, my illusions were quickly shattered like, well, Gatting’s nose!

Norfolk Ian Goode

horace likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Norfolk Ian Goode Sat 01 Jul 2023, 17:22

They had a record run of 27 Tests unbeaten between January 1982 and December 1984. 17 were won, including 11 consecutive (all v England or Australia) in 1984. The Aussies did end their streak with a dead rubber win in Sydney at New Year 1985.

Most remarkable was their 15 years without losing a Test series, before Australia toppled them in 1995.

Norfolk Ian Goode

horace likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Sat 01 Jul 2023, 17:31

Pah! Limited overs circus stuff ...
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Norfolk Ian Goode Sat 01 Jul 2023, 18:24

PeterCS wrote:Pah! Limited overs circus stuff ...
Yeah, obviously they’re still great at Tests (when they play England at home…) Wink

Norfolk Ian Goode

Back to top Go down

Post by Nath Sat 01 Jul 2023, 23:47

is CPL profitable?
Nath
Nath

Number of posts : 11964
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Sun 02 Jul 2023, 02:10

No tears shed by me over the WIs being eliminated. shrug
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105919
Registration date : 2007-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Sun 02 Jul 2023, 04:02

I think it’s very sad. Shame it wasn’t India ...

The decline is severe. There are probably only 2-3 top class cricketers in the current WI outfit. Forty - fifty years ago Barbados might have challenged most Test nations ... they’d certainly have done better than the current multinational WI mob.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
116 - 9 - 400 - 4

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38084
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Norfolk Ian Goode Sun 02 Jul 2023, 09:27

There’s been talk in the past of whether they could split into separate island nation teams, but as it stands they’d probably all go the way of Kenya and sink without trace.

Norfolk Ian Goode

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Sun 02 Jul 2023, 10:23

I don't lament the fall of the Windies but it WOULD be a travesty if they disappeared altogether.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by Norfolk Ian Goode Sun 02 Jul 2023, 11:05

skully wrote:I don't lament the fall of the Windies but it WOULD be a travesty if they disappeared altogether.
Yeah, cricket has to look after its traditional locations as well as developing new ones. Cricket is such a part of Caribbean identity and culture, and really hope they can address the decline. There was talk of the past 18 months, but this has been 30 years in the making.

There may have been things to dislike about the way they played the game at their peak, but the same goes for other great teams. And it would be good for cricket if the West Indies started producing great players again.

Norfolk Ian Goode

horace likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Sun 02 Jul 2023, 13:42

Unfortch American basketball has usurped a lot of the Caribbean's love of all things sport, espesh cricket.

Caribbean fervor was very much influenced by the Windies success from the late 80s to the mid 90s.

As they have tailed off (a fault of many things) that fervor has significantly diminished.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by Norfolk Ian Goode Sun 02 Jul 2023, 15:23

They need to throw some money at it. If only Stanford hadn’t been a crook…?

Anyway, no such mistakes from Sri Lanka, so only one past champion will be absent. A hammering for Zimbabwe means their clash with Scotland could be winner takes all.

Norfolk Ian Goode

horace likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Mon 03 Jul 2023, 02:38

Interesting Skully and I have such different views about WI.

He has no sympathy but yet I really mourn their passing. Think it is a generational thing. I can remember being embarrassed when we won a dead vrubber on a slow turner at the SCG.
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Mon 03 Jul 2023, 03:27

Sorry h. One only has to look at how boring it was with the Poms bowling endless "chin music" at us yesterday.

This was what we had to tolerate for a decade and a half from the Windies. I never questioned their skill with bat and ball, but their endless short bowling made it nearly impossible to score runs - a point Allan Border made during those days.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Mon 03 Jul 2023, 06:04

horace wrote:Interesting Skully and I have such different views about WI.

He has no sympathy but yet I really mourn their passing. Think it is a generational thing. I can remember being embarrassed when we won a dead vrubber on a slow turner  at the SCG.

I too think the demise of the Windies is bad for cricket, however, they suffered from hubris and ignored the warning signs for too long.
Red
Red

Number of posts : 17071
Registration date : 2007-10-28

Back to top Go down

Post by tricycle Mon 17 Jul 2023, 15:37

Shame, but they've been really bad in LOIs recently. So much that possibly tests are their strongest suit right now. And it's just stupid to give Jason Holder a super over. He's one of the worst at it. Don't think it'd have mattered though. Also, I might be imagining stuff, but thought they nearly missed 2019 as well and got lucky with a lucky lbw given (no DRS) which gave them a narrow win by DLS over Scotland.

More disappointing that Netherlands and their army of Plunkett Shield and SA rejects have made it. Convenient to pick FC players based on some tenuous passport link when playing against a team like Zimbabwe or Nepal, who have to depend on players within their own boundaries.

They've done ****** all to progress for 27 years (yes, beaten England and SA... very ny, but again, done largely by SA and NZ imports and still no real domestic cricket) while Nepal could be a Bangladesh or Afghanistan lite, excluding the political shitshow, in the making given the interest they show in the sport. While the Zimboks are improving, though we've seen more than a share of prospective meltdowns there.

Just realised Tom Cooper is also a SA reject now.

tricycle

Number of posts : 13349
Registration date : 2011-12-17
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

Post by OP Tipping Tue 01 Aug 2023, 16:31

Sad but not unexpected.

At least Netherlands are back. Amazingly there are still some old hands in the side whose names I recall from their previous WC outings such as Cooper and Barresi.

OP Tipping
OP Tipping

West Indies fail to qualify for World Cup Svlx7uN

Number of posts : 4680
Registration date : 2008-01-10
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Tue 01 Aug 2023, 17:49

OP Tipping wrote:Sad but not unexpected.

At least Netherlands are back. Amazingly there are still some old hands in the side whose names I recall from their previous WC outings such as Cooper and Barresi.

As someone else pointed out though, driven by a discussion on the women’s football World Cup thread, it’s challenging to find an actual Dutch-born player in the side, so not sure how much it’s really doing for cricket there.

beamer

Number of posts : 15399
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down