Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aussie fans - should free TV be banned from covering sport?

+7
taipan
Bradman
skully
Red
JGK
lardbucket
Zat
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Aussie fans - should free TV be banned from covering sport? Empty Aussie fans - should free TV be banned from covering sport?

Post by Zat Sat 27 Sep 2008, 01:59

When it comes to their efforts in the sporting arena...

On Channel Nine, it's all about the commentary team, not the game.

On Channel Seven, it's mostly about the other shows on the network, and occasionally about the game, but you mightn't see all the action.

On Channel Ten, it's more likely to be about the game, but hardly ever live, and with a bunch of tosspots in the commentary box talking more crap than the entire subi contingent on this forum combined.

On the ABC, it's sport, but usually competitions nobody's interested in or heard of. (Please note, this only refers to ABC TV, most of the radio sport is first class.)

On SBS, it's soccer. And occasionally cycling. And even less frequently cricket, but Mod knows what commentary team they'll have with C4 not doing the host broadcast. At least that smug git Jones has left SBS and gone to Fox.

But on Pay TV, the sports coverage is, funnily enough, all about the sport being covered. Sure there are programs which deal in inanities (The Back Page, anyone?) but the coverage is almost always live, and almost always uninterrupted.

So should free TV just be told to hand over the keys, or at least be made to compete for the rights on the open market?

Zat

Number of posts : 28872
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Aussie fans - should free TV be banned from covering sport? Empty Re: Aussie fans - should free TV be banned from covering sport?

Post by lardbucket Sat 27 Sep 2008, 02:03

Meh. Proper coverage is available for those who want to pay, and there's still some free stuff, though of a far lower quality, for those who can't afford or choose not to have pay TV.

However, I do think Channel 9 should be ferociously fined every time Tony Greig or Ian Chappell open their mouths audibly.

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38121
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Aussie fans - should free TV be banned from covering sport? Empty Re: Aussie fans - should free TV be banned from covering sport?

Post by Zat Sat 27 Sep 2008, 02:06

Proper coverage is available for those who want to pay,
I take it then that you didn't watch seven's abortionate coverage of the Olympics, or the cringeworthy guff they've been running in the lead up to the AFL Grand Final this morning... No Pay TV equivalent. More's the pity.

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Sat 27 Sep 2008, 02:07

You're right, I listened to the Olympics on radio, and I won't be turning the TV on until the game starts.

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Sat 27 Sep 2008, 02:11

Well Seven just dished up Neal Kearney 'interviewing' a five-year-old Geelong fan, and got her to sing the club song.

Great viewing.

Red Symonds once said that children who sing on TV should be shot. Never seen anything that's disproved that.

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Sat 27 Sep 2008, 02:11

Aye, there was a time when people called Red could be relied on to say sage things.

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Sat 27 Sep 2008, 02:14

Anyway, I'm off to throw things at the TV until the game starts. Good luck this arvo.

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Sat 27 Sep 2008, 02:18

Thanks mate, I'll be a quivering mess until a) the game is over, if we get over the line; or b) I turn the TV off in disgust if we choke (again).

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Sat 27 Sep 2008, 02:38

I do like Ray Warren.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Sat 27 Sep 2008, 04:36

I wouldn't mind if everything was on cable. We could have minimal ads and we wouldn't be treated with contempt by networks who like to screen the sport around the other rubbish they show. And of course they constantly subject us to previews of said rubbish between goals or wickets, not to mention actually having it as rolling adverts on the bottom of the screen while the action is taking place.
Red
Red

Number of posts : 17071
Registration date : 2007-10-28

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Sat 27 Sep 2008, 04:39

I wouldn't mind either, but I can't live without my Foxtel.

But I'm mindful of others that chose not to or can't afford to have Foxy. I think you've got to have the mainstream Aussie sports on free-to-air. Cricket, AFL, Leeg, Olypmics, at least.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105977

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Sat 27 Sep 2008, 04:40

He's a decent caller surrounded by farkwits unfortunately. Aliens could come to this planet, watch their first channel 9 call of an NRL game and know instantly where the commentators loyalties lay.

Greenpeace should really tow Phil Gould out to sea, prferably in an area where the Japs are.
Bradman
Bradman

Number of posts : 17402
Registration date : 2008-08-13
Flag/Background : war

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Sat 27 Sep 2008, 04:43

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Sagacity from qm3. Very Happy
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Sat 27 Sep 2008, 07:36

Red wrote:I wouldn't mind if everything was on cable.

You have cable in Aus?
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Sat 27 Sep 2008, 07:46

^^^^^^^^^^^
We do. Is that just a dumb question or a lame attempt at a Hicksville barb?

We get Fox/Optus on both cable and via satellite.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Sat 27 Sep 2008, 07:49

skully wrote:^^^^^^^^^^^
We do. Is that just a dumb question or a lame attempt at a Hicksville barb?

We get Fox/Optus on both cable and via satellite.

No, just thought cable was an outmoded system mainly used in the US.
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Sat 27 Sep 2008, 07:53

Since the mid-nineties in certain areas believe it or not Taips. We were a bit behind those countries who were already using telemetry, satellites and the like to bring down planes of neighbouring heads of state.
Bradman
Bradman

Number of posts : 17402
Registration date : 2008-08-13
Flag/Background : war

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Sat 27 Sep 2008, 09:24

Ch Seven are going to cop heaps for finishing the telecast before they showed the Hawks singing their song ....useless ******
embee
embee

Number of posts : 26215
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by Nath Sat 27 Sep 2008, 09:33

need the "use it or lose it" policy, and multi-channeling for different states.
Nath
Nath

Number of posts : 11978

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Sat 27 Sep 2008, 09:34

Other than that, A, I thought it was a good coverage by 7 and a pretty good call by Cometti, Bruce and the boys.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by Nath Sat 27 Sep 2008, 09:42

skully wrote:Other than that, A, I thought it was a good coverage by 7 and a pretty good call by Cometti, Bruce and the boys.

except they apparently cut to the news before the victorious Hawks sang the song! Evil or Very Mad
Nath
Nath

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Sat 27 Sep 2008, 09:46

Nath wrote:
skully wrote:Other than that, A, I thought it was a good coverage by 7 and a pretty good call by Cometti, Bruce and the boys.

except they apparently cut to the news before the victorious Hawks sang the song! Evil or Very Mad
Erm yes Nath, that was the "Other than that" I was referring to. Pretty poor form to miss the victory song.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by Nath Sat 27 Sep 2008, 09:53

ah well, that's what the DVD is for... Wink
Nath
Nath

Back to top Go down

Post by eowyn Sat 27 Sep 2008, 10:06

You Aussies need to get a red button.
eowyn
eowyn

Number of posts : 11132
Flag/Background : yrk

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Sat 27 Sep 2008, 10:50

eowyn wrote:You Aussies need to get a red button.
Well, that sounds like a not-too-subtle clitoris reference...

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next